RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Get decent hardware, help!

Old 08-31-2012, 12:09 PM

Get decent hardware, help!

Hi folks,

I think about getting some new hardware for retouching. Right now I have a Acer 5742g notebook, which got some issues with overheating and comes to it's maximum extremely quick, especially if I'm working with a lot of layers and stuff.

Do you have any suggestions what to get? Notebook or pc? What hardware settings are most important?

Best,
Peri
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2012, 01:26 PM

Re: Get decent hardware, help!

Switched to an Imac about a year ago.....done deal. But it depends on what you want to use it for...working with high resolutionfiles and lots of layers..?
Memory,SSD,scratchdisk are all items to take in condideration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2012, 07:15 PM

It depends on what you want it for. I work with a lot of high resolution images, 16 bit, and lots of layers. I went and compared my recent build to an Mac Pro and I saved about 3 grand. Nothing unusual for apple products to be overpriced....

Anyways, If I were to go with a Windows laptop I would get one of Asus's Republic Of Gamers models. If I were to go with a Mac one, it would be one with a retina display.

Now, in my opinion you should go with building your own desktop as it will save you a good amount of money. That, or you could use a configurator website and they will build it for you. iBuyPower and Cyberpower are some good ones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon McCann View Post
It depends on what you want it for. I work with a lot of high resolution images, 16 bit, and lots of layers. I went and compared my recent build to an Mac Pro and I saved about 3 grand. Nothing unusual for apple products to be overpriced....

Anyways, If I were to go with a Windows laptop I would get one of Asus's Republic Of Gamers models. If I were to go with a Mac one, it would be one with a retina display.

Now, in my opinion you should go with building your own desktop as it will save you a good amount of money. That, or you could use a configurator website and they will build it for you. iBuyPower and Cyberpower are some good ones.
I'm not the biggest Apple fan either, but I wont start that discussion here otherwise there'll be a lot of people feeling personally attacked and that's not what this topic is about!

Yeah, I thought of getting a tower. It's purely flexibilty vs. price/performance. I took a look at the workstations by dell and I think, you can simply get those towers cheaper, by as you already mentioned, building it on your own.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2012, 10:35 AM

If you wanna go the route of building your own, Newegg has a big series on it step by step. I didn't need them, but I have more of a tech background. It's pretty simple, it's basically a small puzzle. If you do go the route of building one, make sure you buy an antistatic bracelet as you'll get tired of touching the case every so often.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericu View Post
I'm not the biggest Apple fan either, but I wont start that discussion here otherwise there'll be a lot of people feeling personally attacked and that's not what this topic is about!

Yeah, I thought of getting a tower. It's purely flexibilty vs. price/performance. I took a look at the workstations by dell and I think, you can simply get those towers cheaper, by as you already mentioned, building it on your own.
I used to build my own configurations for about 15 years..now working on a Mac(besides the difference in cost) I just must say it's more intuitive
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Patron

I built my own PC a couple of times. It was definitely less expensive than any alternatives, and I could get exactly the features I wanted. Now I have a Mac. Got tired of doing things to my computer; now I do things with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 AM

+1... great solution
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2012, 03:47 PM

You can definitely get a better PC cheaper by building your own but if you haven't done it before and you don't have an interest in it then use a config site as mentioned. I have both a custom built desktop PC and a macbook pro and to be honest I can do things "with" both. The differences are in your budget. I don't really understand buying a laptop for retouching, you kind of lose portability when you have to carry around a decent monitor and even with a good laptop display there is still a size issue. Yes "size matters" imho when it comes to this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2013, 01:01 PM

Yeah another one here for self build. Not as hard as you might think - usually only need one tool - a crosshead screwdriver.

Get a good case and power supply unit and they'll last years and you can rebuild it some years down the line when everything gets faster.

The other thing is you can get a decent monitor too. IPS monitors are considerably better than cheaper and more common TN monitors - you can actually see blemishes that you can't see on cheaper monitors. I got 27 inch Hazro which uses the same panel as the top of the range Mac for less than half the price (£400 vs £1000). A very worthy investment.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware