Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Recomendation for scanner for restoration?

Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Recomendation for scanner for restoration?

Hi! I am mainly training my retouching skills, but lately I have gotten into restoration after repairing som old badly dammaged photos for a friend of my wife, and lately also repairing some of my wifes old childhood photos. So now im thinking it may be possible to earn some small money on doing this. Im am not talking about restoring photos for the national archive, but if I am going to charge people for my work I would like the equipment to do a decent job.

So on a tight budget is it possible to get a scanner that can do the job?
Any recomendations?
I already read that I should look for Digital ICE, GEM and ROC. Any other things?

I read in Katrin Eismanns book that you can use a camera to take pictures rather than scan. Any pros and cons on this?
Katrin figured 12mpx was good enough. That was a long time ago. Any comments on this?

As you can see I dont have much knowledge about digitalising old photos. I have Eismanns and Cteinsbooks on restoration, but neither covers very deply the part of getting the photo into your computer. Any help woud be appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Re: Recomendation for scanner for restoration?

If you use Ice, Gem, or ROC it is applied globally and you may loose some much needed information that could be of value in photoshop... getting rid of the dust and garbage selectively in Photoshop is a much safer way to go..

This link may help your decision some : Scanners, textures, scratches, cracks, silvering It also has a post on some standard copying techniques

Personally I have an Epson Perfection v500 so I could do negatives and slides also... It Must also be stated that I AM NOT a professional and just work at retouching and restoration as a HOBBY

Hope this helps..
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Re: Recomendation for scanner for restoration?

Hi! Thanks a lot for the advice! Aboute the ICE ROC and GEM my initial thoughts too were that it would be better doing it yourself in PS rather than trusting the scanner, but the Ctein book spoke so well of especialy the ICE function ( with a good descriptiion of how it works, and it actullay seemed pretty failsafe) so I thought id ask about it.
I allready tried your "two layers and darken" against paper texture, and it worked a charm! I also tried the mean and median stacking modes, but the darken version worked a lot better for my two shots, lit from opposit angles ( I only had two shots and couldnt figure out why mean and median ended up equal before i understood that I had gotten a bit lost in translation by the word mean)

About the hardware:
Can good multifunctionals do the job or do you need a flatbed scanner?
Pros and cons by shooting with camera vs scanner?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware