RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Another "Stupid things we Do" - Call for Help

Old 08-20-2002, 11:18 PM

Mesca,

Are you still having problems?
I just came across this link on how to deal with clogs at Jon Cone's site .

You may need to go down to #9:
MAJOR CLOG from HELL (Fantastik/Windex Treatment).

Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2002, 01:54 AM

I mentioned the Windex treatment on Sanda's thread. You can try searching on Google using the keywords Windex and Epson (I've just gotten 427 hits). InkjetArt's procedure is fairly detailed. The most important part of the whole procedure is getting the printheads out of their "home" position.

I've also found another trick to clean the underside of the nozzles using paper roller towel (I'll post the link when I find it). For those of us with cats this is always a problem as one often gets cat hair on the side of the paper which gets printed on. These hairs then stick like glue to the nozzles once they're wetted by the ink. Your printout then ends up with wonderful "artistic" streaks
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2002, 05:25 PM

My thanks to all...... No I don't have it working yet... went to store and got Fantastic today... and a can of compressed air... I did one round of Fantastic.. for a couple of hours... but it's not cleared... Planning on letting it sit overnight tonight and we'll see what tomorrow brings...

I was ready to do battle with the seller and try to get my money back but with all these helpful tips...I've become certain I can get it cleared eventually... At least I'm learning something about printers...and how they work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2002, 09:20 PM

Well,.... still no luck. Nothing seems to be touching the Black and Darker blue area. In fact.... when I look at the foam pad (under the home position) it does not even seem to come to the right far enough to touch thef the black cartridge nozzle. The other colors all seem to be fine. I've done the Fantastic treatment 3 times now. Any more suggestions from anyone?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2002, 12:30 PM

Have you tried the part about soaking the sponge (and in your case maybe some paper towels underneath) with Fantastic and letting that soak from the outside in?

I think that was in the link to inkjet mall I posted earlier. That way you'd be going from both sides.

--tks
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2002, 04:54 PM

Tim.... I'm not quite sure what you mean. I've used the Fantastic on the sponge where the cartridges rest in home position. In fact I've done it twice on overnight with printer off... and once all day with printer off. I've removed the cartridges and put the tubing over the little spikes that stick up and used several drops of Fantastic in each... the blown them out with compressed air and then used rubbing alcohol in tubing and blown out again. I don't know where you're talking about using paper towels. It still appears to me that when the cartridges are in the home position that the black one is not over the sponge.... does that make any sense? It looks like just a piece of hard black plastic there.

I'm trying to enclose picture I snapped with cartridges in changing position. The part circled in yellow looks to me like where the black cartridge rests when machine is off or in home position... The part circled in red is where the colored cartridges rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg epson 1270.jpg (63.4 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2002, 05:13 PM

Mesca,

Sorry about the lack of clarity. I shouldn't try to write replies while constantly being interrupted by the contractors (I'm getting my kitchen remodeled).

What I was trying to suggest, was that since the sponge would not contact the bottom of the black print head, you could try putting a paper towel with some Fantastic on it under there. Since the idea is to get the cleaner to wick up into the orofice of the print head to loosen the dried ink, if there is no contact of wet surface to print head it can't wick, thus the paper towel to stand in for the sponge.

I'm sure this must be very frustrating to deal with. I know I would be...

--tks
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2002, 06:54 PM

Sounds like a great idea... but how the heck do I get the paper towel under it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2002, 08:32 PM

I've got a Stylus Photo EX, which is considerably older so I don't know if this would work for you 1280, but when you move the print heads over to put the Fantastic on the sponge, put a piece of paper towel in the area where the black ink heads sit that is over the plastic area you pointed out on your picture.

In my EX there is a space where you could put the edge so it wouldn't catch the print head when it returns, it would have to be a folded piece and fairly thin. I'd also leave part of it up so it could be pulled out before moving the head off it.

Looking at the EX I can see that there is some danger of catching the print head as you do this. It might not be worth the risk.

Good luck
--tks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware