RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Need advise on Pen Tablet.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:04 AM

Need advise on Pen Tablet.

Hi,
I'm now buying Intous 5 Pen Tablet. I just want to know from my fellow retouchers/digital artists/photographers what the size matters for you....

what size you have (1) Small 6"x4" (2) Medium 8"x6" (3) Large 12"8" ... what is the difference you feel in that models while you work in photoshop / Corel Painter / 3D application ?

Currently I've 8"x6" i-ball pen tablet for my retouching.
I hope I will get good direction from here.

Ashish
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 01:45 AM

Re: Need advise on Pen Tablet.

You posted the same question I have...
I am thinking about buying it as well, and have no experience with it at all. What is the difference between Intuos 4 and Intuos pen & touch ? Here I mean difference when working - responsiveness to pen movement, pressure, etc.
As I said I haven't used pen tablet so far and guess anything will be better than working with a bar of soap - but I know some people who do really great retouching and still use mouse.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 11:08 AM

I have the medium Intuos 5 and it's just right for me. I previously had a large Intuos 3, which seemed like a good idea when I ordered it, but it took up too much desktop real estate and was just generally overkill.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2014, 01:03 AM

Pen pressure can be really nice in some areas. What I would point out is that between your tablet and screen, there is some amount of scaling. You have to be comfortable with that scaling. One inch of pen movement != one inch of cursor motion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2014, 02:35 PM

Personally I like a big tablet as it supports both my arm and wrist. You can also get a nice big natural sweep of the brush which better emulates conventional working practices which is good if you like illustrating or hand masking. Whatever is comfortable for you is the way to go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
Personally I like a big tablet as it supports both my arm and wrist. You can also get a nice big natural sweep of the brush which better emulates conventional working practices which is good if you like illustrating or hand masking. Whatever is comfortable for you is the way to go.
Yes, I guess it's nice to be able to create long natural sweep, as one would with pen on a A4 or A3 paper... for instance, when drawing sunrays, or shading some large background area...
I'm really looking forward to spending few days trying it out :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2014, 05:54 PM

Depends also on the size of the monitor. I have a 27" screen and I use a large tablet with it, which is almost the same size, which I find nice. Some people hate that and use a smaller tablet. It's personal preference. Use both and see what you like best.

On the road I use a Cintiq, which some people hate, as your hand is in front of some of the image, but I love it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
Depends also on the size of the monitor. I have a 27" screen and I use a large tablet with it, which is almost the same size, which I find nice.
It seems we agree on something. I don't understand how anyone can be really accurate with a big screen and small tablet mapped across it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2014, 01:17 PM

I don't really see it as a relationship between tablet and screen so much as an ergonomic comfort thing. I find it tiresome reaching across broad areas all day. I prefer to be able to span my "workspace" (tablet) with the arc of my wrist rather than my elbow. A larger tablet also puts the keyboard (shortcuts) further from reach. Ugh! And for very detailed work and accuracy, the the amount of real estate one's pen needs to traverse is as much a function of the image zoom as tablet size.

If one's tool needed to be proportional to the vista they are traversing would it stand to reason that fighter jet pilots would need ginormous steering wheels considering how broad the sky is, rather than those puny (agile) joysticks they use?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2014, 02:50 PM

^^ I like to stick around 100% most of the time if possible. I found with a small tablet I would often be just slightly off. When I switched that issue went away. I have a fairly steady hand, but it was still too difficult to keep things smooth.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware