RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Is the Multisync PA241w self calibrating

Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 AM

Re: Is the Multisync PA241w self calibrating

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
Is updating the monitor's LUT equivalent to calibrating?
Yes, to that target calibration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM

Thanks Andrew,

So if I have a preset eg Picture Mode =Full and I've set, Gamut 2.2, 6500k etc. it will Multiprofiler fully calibrate the monitor to conform with those values?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks Andrew,

So if I have a preset eg Picture Mode =Full and I've set, Gamut 2.2, 6500k etc. it will Multiprofiler fully calibrate the monitor to conform with those values?
Yes. What ever preset's it provides are fair game.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 PM

Sorry to labour this, but I need to be sure I fully understand - This is what I think I understand -
The monitor is shipped with pre-programmed target calibration information which is specific to that particular monitor, and includes offset values to take into account the effect of recorded hours of usage. So there is effectively a closed loop system which can keep the monitor accurately calibrated, using the Multiprofiler software, without any need for an external photocolorometric device.
Is that correct?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Sorry to labour this, but I need to be sure I fully understand - This is what I think I understand -
The monitor is shipped with pre-programmed target calibration information which is specific to that particular monitor, and includes offset values to take into account the effect of recorded hours of usage. So there is effectively a closed loop system which can keep the monitor accurately calibrated, using the Multiprofiler software, without any need for an external photocolorometric device.
Is that correct?
That is correct.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 PM

I have some more information from the Nec Technician which I ought to pass on. I don't personally understand all of this.
He said this:-
"Hardware calibration writes the target information to the LUT of the monitor. This means that color adjustments are made in the monitor rather than in the video graphics adapter, so the fidelity of the system is maintained."
He also said this:-
"If you want true calibration then use a sensor with Spectraview Profiler 5. The sensor is measuring a true representation of the panel and adjusting for drift (backlight/uniformity)"

So I'm going to play safe and use a Spyder with the Spectraview Profiler 5.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Patron

Sounds like a good decision using an instrument to read the screen values this way you are able to match these values to your print viewing conditions (assuming that this is what your are aiming at) which should enable you to predict with greater accuracy a screen to print match. The conditions for you to get this match may be far removed from the preset values of the NEC target values.

Using the NEC software is AFAIK the only way that you will be able to use hardware calibration to alter the NEC internal LUT's.

Of course if you are only likely to be outputting to web then perhaps such accurate calibration could be considered a luxury? You have no control how users/viewers will look at your web images e.g. are they using a colour managed browser? If so is colour management turned on? Have they calibrated and profiled their monitor to match their viewing conditions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I have some more information from the Nec Technician which I ought to pass on. I don't personally understand all of this.
He said this:-
"Hardware calibration writes the target information to the LUT of the monitor. This means that color adjustments are made in the monitor rather than in the video graphics adapter, so the fidelity of the system is maintained."
He also said this:-
"If you want true calibration then use a sensor with Spectraview Profiler 5. The sensor is measuring a true representation of the panel and adjusting for drift (backlight/uniformity)"

So I'm going to play safe and use a Spyder with the Spectraview Profiler 5.
He/She is a bit off (or biased).

LUT in the panel is preferable but not a deal breaker. It reduces banding because it's high bit, in the panel. IF you had a true 10-bit path (OS, application, video card and display), that would all be moot anyone.

The non instrument calibration process should do just as good a job, the LUTs should be still internal since they are 'presets' which match a calibration at the factory that can be updated. So saying "the sensor is measuring a true representation of the panel and adjusting for drift" is only somewhat true. The idea is that the aging is well understood and compensated using very high end initial measurements made at the factory.

Is using an instrument 'better'? Yes in that you can set any calibration aim point you desire, you are getting data X number of hours or years into service. It cost you more, it takes more time, it's more flexible.

The idea for Multiprofiler is to provide a very good set of calibration's (or emulations too, like make the display mimic 'sRGB'). It's pretty easy to use, it's free.

You'll probably get better results with a better Colorimeter than the Spyder for one. IF you're sure you want to use an instrument, the X-rite that NEC bundles and has matched filters for this kind of unit is preferable by a long shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
...Of course if you are only likely to be outputting to web then perhaps such accurate calibration could be considered a luxury? You have no control how users/viewers will look at your web images e.g. are they using a colour managed browser? If so is colour management turned on? Have they calibrated and profiled their monitor to match their viewing conditions?
I've never looked at it that way. To me, creating the best possible image will make that image look the best it can on whatever display and in whatever browser and lighting conditions the viewer uses. A suboptimal display venue will never match a calibrated high-quality monitor for viewing quality, but at least in each display venue the image will display that venue's best rendition for the viewer.

In addition, if you ever decide to print the image, you'll have one less piece of work to do to get it prep'd for printing.

That doesn't necessarily mean to put all the work into a monitor image that you put into a print image, but it does mean that calibrating one's monitor is not really a waste of time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2013, 04:33 AM
Patron

Robert, I do actually agree with all you have said and would argue for the positive points you have made.

I suspect the fact remains that many who view on the web may not be aware of colour management and probably have their nice new LCD's set at some high brightness settings (as in out of the box condition) which will not be displaying the image as optimal i.e. as the author intended.

Of course that is no reason to be sloppy at our end and we should make every effort to ensure the best image goes out to all who are likely to view.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware