RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Is the Multisync PA241w self calibrating

Old 01-26-2013, 03:30 PM

Is the Multisync PA241w self calibrating

I've been using the Nec Multisync PA241w almost every day for the past two years. I initially found the information provided with it a bit confusing, but I eventually came to the conclusion that, in tandem with the Multiprofiler software, it was effectively self-calibrating.
I have recently read some conflicting info and I have a nagging doubt about the self-calibration thing. Can someone give me clear advice. Do I need to calibrate the monitor with a hardware device, or is it automatically calibrated by the Multiprofiler software.

Alastair
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Patron

Re: Is the Multisync PA241w self calibrating

You do need a calibration device. It is not possible for a monitor to actually read or set the values that you need for your particular editing environment - this needs an accurate probe measuring the White point, Intensity etc attached to the screen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 PM

Can you tell me what type of device I need? I use a spyder for my laptop but that's a toy really I guess.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Patron

Actually, Spyder and X-Rite are the two most popular calibration devices. For color calibration your laptop screen may be a toy or perhaps even a joke (laptop screens are notorious for not being very amenable to calibration) but your Spyder probably isn't a toy (unless it's a really old one).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Patron

IMHO the way to go with NEC monitors is to use hardware calibration which directly accesses the monitors LUT and will potentially give a better and more consistent and accurate result than using the calibration device supplied software.

In the UK you have two choices for hardware calibration applications. The first being the NEC Multiprofiler software:
http://www.nec-display-solutions.com....xhtml?cat=LCD
or
Basicolor which I think maybe the above as this company did produce the original software for NEC
http://www.basiccolor.de/basiccolor-display-5-en/

Now it depends on your Spyder model and your display type. Spyder 2 is capable of calibrating non wide gamut displays quite adequately and should be compatible with both the above. If your display is wide gamut (i do not think it is!) then you will need either Spyder 4 or possibly Spyder 3 - you will need to check. While the Spyder range are not as good perhaps as the more upmarket xrite I would be surprised if you could not achieve satisfactory results.

Worth while perhaps downloading the demo programs to try with your Spyder?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 AM

The one I have is Spyder 3 Elite. As I mentioned, I have the Multiprofiler software which I already use with the Nec. How do I get Multiprofiler and Spyder to talk to each other?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Patron

Not familiar with Multiprofiler (I use Spectraview II) but I would imagine that the application should recognise the calibration device as the Spyder without user intervention. If not then there must be some way to indicate your particular model type in the setup menus for calibration sensor
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM

I ran the Spyder calibration and it turned my montor green. Then I called up Multiprofiler and asked it to reset to defaults, which returned the monitor to what looks like neutral grey to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
I ran the Spyder calibration and it turned my montor green. Then I called up Multiprofiler and asked it to reset to defaults, which returned the monitor to what looks like neutral grey to me.
Many things could have caused that. Eizo is the only one I know that went the self calibrating route by building the sensor into the display. They flip down at scheduled times. NEC really designed theirs to be run with their own software or at least that's the case with the ones sold in the US. They're really designed to be run with the NEC spectraview kit here. The ones sold in the UK have different firmware if I'm not mistaken. With something like that I wouldn't use the Datacolor software when a proprietary solution is available.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Patron

Completely uninstall the Spyder software and reeboot your PC.

Then try the multiprofiler only - if needed reinstall. You should not really try to have two calibration applications on a given system as it is possible that they are trying to compete.

In short you do not/should not need Datacolor software at all as you will be relying on NEC own which is superior and will recognise the device without further 'help or assistance' from other apps.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware