RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

2450 connectivity/firewire/usb2

Old 08-28-2002, 04:57 AM

Those fiendish Japanese will be driving on the right next!!!!

Greg, whenever ME comes into the conversation over here steam comes out of ears and veins begin to throb on peoples foreheads it's not well liked. Never used it myself does it have a lot of foibles ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2002, 10:19 PM

Chris- Windows ME is just like 95 and 98...when it's first loaded things are wonderful but over time little bugs seem to creep in and corrupt things. I should probably do the ol' format C: drive and reinstall the OS but I'm lazy and never seem to find the time. Plus my computer is one of those big name monstrosities that does not come with an actual Windows disk...just a "restore" CD. (I learned my lesson...My next PC shall be custom built!!)

The whole confusion over a Firewire standard is probably why it never really caught on like USB did. I'm sure there are some people out there with Sony camcorders who have no idea that the little "iLink" connector is the same thing as the IEEE 1394 port on their computer!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2002, 10:33 PM

It also doesn't help when you have "tech people" who really don't know what they are selling. When I went to buy a firewire cable, the guy tried to tell me it wasn't for data transfer. He claimed it was for setting your computer up for a tv monitor!! And this was Radio Shack home of the "You've got question, we've got answers" slogan.

I should have realized sooner, when I had spent the previous 20 minutes trying to convice the salesperson that "rabbit ear" antennas did not need a power cord!! Oh well , I've got questions, I'll find the answers.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2002, 04:13 PM

Just revived this thread as I've installed an Adaptec firewire/USB2 card.
The USB2 side works fine but alas when I came to hook up the 2450 via the firewire port I found to my horror that the supplied cable was for a digicam and of no use. Greg I think you said earlier you'd run your 2450 on firewire, did you actually get hold of a cable with 6 pin plugs at each end ? been round the shops here and all I can find are firewire cables of the same type adaptec supplied with the card.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2002, 06:15 PM

Hi Chris H

Have you tried Maplins

www.maplin.co.uk

They have loads of leads connectors and 'Tech nerds' ready to take your calls!

Clare

Just checked they have a 6 by 6 cable -
Go to there Catagory - firewire -
Product - cables - Top cable

A64AH
10m F/wire 6p to 6p
In Stock

£29.99 with VAT
£25.523 without VAT
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2002, 07:36 PM

Clare thanks for the details (10metres!) I've managed to source one from a place in the Midlands crazy really when I'm only 3 miles from Dabs and Scan !

I even went into PC World where a salesman pointed me to Maplins along with a few derisory comments about his employers!!! Should have the cable in a couple of days, the scanners certainly faster with the USB2 connection but I'm interested to compare it with Firewire and keep a USB port spare.

Cheers...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2002, 08:20 PM

USB2 and Firewire should be comparable as far as speed. Firewire cables are not cheap though! ...And I did have to shop around to a few places to get a 6pin to 6pin cable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2002, 08:32 PM

OK Greg as stated I've been doing the rounds for a 6/6 with no luck so I ordered one from a mail order operation in the south. The card had 1 each firewire/USB2 connectors internal as well as the external ones but I've never come across a device that needs an internal USB connector.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2002, 03:30 AM

Hi Chris,

I did not think anything of the length of 10 metres as I have my scanner on a unit behind me and needed a long lead. There were probably other lenghts avaliable. I have always found Maplin to be good as if I cant find a lead etc they normally make it up for you to your specified length.

Glad you found a company that was able to supply you with one.

I have had number of amusing conversations with PC World -
I bought a mother board from them and asked a Tech to disable the sound - When I got it home I discovered he had turned of the USB! - Lucky I know my way round a motherboard. (They are all glorified box shifters)

Another company down south (UK) is called Slipstream IT, They are good on price and will also make up leads orders to spec. If you are interested I will find out what there web details are.

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2002, 04:16 AM

Ok on PC World, I only use them as a final desperate measure. Amazing to see what people haul out of my local branch when two of the biggest computer/peripheral suppliers are 10 minutes drive away with fairly knowledgeable staff compared to the buffoons in PC World. As I departed PC World a woman was paying £70 for a copy of MS Works !!! I nearly fainted.

Cheers.

Last edited by chris h; 10-27-2002 at 10:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware