RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

2450 connectivity/firewire/usb2

Old 08-27-2002, 03:18 PM

2450 connectivity/firewire/usb2

Does anybody use the above second generation connections for scanning with the 2450 or any other device for that matter. Any noticeable improvement ? do the cards allow front of box locations for the sockets ?
Thinking of getting a USB2 card and was interested in forum members experiences.

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2002, 04:26 PM

Firewire came built into my PC so I have the 2450 hooked to it...I did not notice a huge speed improvement from USB to Firewire. Firewire and USB2 really start to show their worth if you do streaming video and things of that nature. When transferring 30-50mb scans the speed improvement is minimal. One warning though- Firewire cables can be very expensive!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2002, 04:43 PM

Greg,

The only piece of firewire kit I've seen is the socket on the back of the scanner and that looks fairly conventional.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2002, 05:02 PM

I have used both and didnt see a great difference between them. Firewire, a variant of SCSI, is rated at transfer rates up to 400mbps while the USB 2 standard calls for transfer rates around 480mbps...Both rates are perhaps a bit optimistic....If you have Firewire already built in, I'd use it...the cable is a bit more spendy than USB but still cheaper than a USB 2 card and since the Firewire connection is already there, there should not be any problems with driver install, IRQ/DMA conflicts and so on...PnP is great but it is not perfect. Just be sure the port is labled IEEE 1394 ( firewire is a proprietary and I think copyrighted moniker belonging to the Round Red Fruit and Computer company...thus everyone elses connection is known by the IEEE... standard moniker) as some network card connectors can be mistaken for Firewire.....Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2002, 05:12 PM

Thanks Tom neither connection has appeared to have taken off over here much. The 2450 seems quite sprightly on the standard USB connection.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2002, 05:32 PM

The main focus of the two Standards over here was multimedia which required rapid transfer of large amounts of data, like Greg pointed out. However there has been growing interest in large (150 plus GB) external hard drives for back up,storage and so on, which really do well with either of the Standards...For scanners the only advantage I see is if you plan to do awe inspiring and slightly frighteningly large hi res scans in the 100 plus MB range...Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2002, 05:47 PM

While its still in my memory I ran the tape backup on XP with no problems took about 2 hours for the whole installation. I thought there'd be a battle with the scsi connection but no problems and XP's native drivers handled the whole job no software installed at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2002, 09:33 PM

Most MoBo's now support PnP for SCSI, the only exception might be the SCSI 1 flavor which is a form of Technologic appendex. You might want to check out the Mfg. website just in case there are some updated drivers there...you might have to blow off some dust though.....Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2002, 09:43 PM

Chris - When I first got my 2450 I had it hooked to USB and I recall having a problem getting the transparency lid to work when I switched the scanner over to Firewire. I vaguely remember unplugging everything and reinstalling drivers...but I'm on Windows (help) ME, so it was no big surprise.

Another Firewire tidbit...there are actually two types of IEEE 1394 connections- a 4 pin and a 6 pin. As far as I know the only difference is that the 6 pin can supply power to a device and the 4 pin can't.

Just to add to Tom's info, Sony calls Firewire (or IEEE 1394) iLink....just to add to the confusion. I wonder why no one can ever agree on one standard name?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2002, 10:01 PM

Egads Man!!!...A standard name with cross platform compatability and agreed upon standards which all manufacturers willingly, accurately and happily adopted!! Such an occurance would most certainly mean the end of Civilized Society as we know it!! The very thought sends a hushed but bone shaking chill through out Boardrooms across the known Universe!!! Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware