RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

QUATO 240 LED - opinions anyone?

Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 AM

QUATO 240 LED - opinions anyone?

Hallo everyone,

this is my first post here, and I do apologize by now for my english, I'll do my best to be understood and to explain properly what I'm looking for or answering at.

So here we are:
I work as a photo-retoucher and I own a NEC spectraview reference 24", an Eizo CG243w and a Cintiq 24HDT. I need to buy a new monitor due to staff enlargement; actually I'm using the NEC one, that I prefer to the Eizo one, but I'm a bit concerned about Eizos, because of my first display of this brand, an horrible and suddenly retired by eizo itself CG242w (if I remember its name properly), so I may misjudge the 243; of course it's an excellent display, but I'm not satisfied specially by its viewing angle and sharpness that are absolutely worse than in my first NEC display (21" reference LED).
The 21" was the reason I didn't buy a second Eizo, but the nec itself (that I had been using at a colleague's studio). Sadly the Nec broke, but i was AMAZED by the way I was assisted as a client: a swap monitor was sent to my working position (that could have been anywhere in Europe, and in fact they've sent it to me not at my usual studio but due to my request where I was working at the time) within a couple of days while the 21" was taken into assistance.
I had after a week the communication from Nec that my display was effectively misbehaving and due to the fact it wasn't in production anymore, but still covered by warranty, they had sent to me a (at that time brand new) 24" reference.

Finally you know why I own two different displays, and now I'll explain why I'm thinking of adding another brand:

the reason is mainly that I've always been fascinated by quato displays, at the time of CRTs, but I wasn't able to afford one.
So now it would be like a small conquer to buy one, but I wouldn't buy it just to have it, it would actually have to deserve its name and its price.

So I'm asking to anyone, who owns or has worked with a quato 240 led, their impression and suggestions.

I have tested the display for a jiff and was well impressed, enough to buy it (I could get it for 1500€ ex taxes), although I'm not looking for a bargain but for the best display actually produced.

Also, I'm not so able to understand prad.de reviews, that seems indeed to prefer the eizo cg275 as flawless, while quato is reviewed as the best LED display but with a major flaw.
Nec spectraviews have very good reviews as well.

In the end they seem to suggest ezio or nec to quato.
Am I arguing correctly or am I misunderstanding?

thanks to everyone, even just to have read so far.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM

Re: QUATO 240 LED - opinions anyone?

There's nothing special per se about LED unless you've got a true three color (RGB) LED. Few and far between, most are just using a white LED. Nice in terms of longevity as LED's last far longer than Fluorescent. Uses a little less energy. Otherwise, nothing worth having alone, the backlight only plays a small role in the entire package. I'd suggest another NEC, ideally the same model if possible so the two can produce identical output once calibrated to the same values.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2013, 09:28 AM

Thanks for your answer Andrew; I agree that another NEC would be the best choice, and I for sure have no complains towards the Nec I own.

But the Quato is a RGB LED, so I was wondering if it actually is a better display than the spectraview and in this case opting to move towards this brand rather than consolidating the other.

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babel View Post
But the Quato is a RGB LED, so I was wondering if it actually is a better display than the spectraview and in this case opting to move towards this brand rather than consolidating the other.
Theoretically yes, much better, assuming it's doing the RGB LED technology correctly such as this much older (and original) RGB LED:

http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200602_neclcddisplay.pdf
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 AM

exactly!

the Nec 21 was the first Nec display I owned (I didn't buy it when it costed as a car
and I loved it!

Is there any way I can know if this new Quato is as good as the Nec 21?

thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2013, 10:51 AM

(you wrote the article of the pdf! I had already read and appreciated it a lot!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2013, 10:52 AM

Well it's hard to say if they are doing it right. It's a good company from what I've heard. A tri-color LED isn't easy to build or make it affordable. I know LaCie tried to OEM one and it was pretty poor. So I'd at the very least make sure that IF you buy into this technology, you work with a good dealer who will allow you to check it out, maybe demo it in your studio a few days. I expect that IF this is a good unit, it's going to be expensive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM

the price doesn't seem to fit the technology it has: listed as 2000€ ex vat it has a street price of 1500-1700€.
In fact if you think of this kind of technology and you mix it with the extremely great price coming with it, shouldn't it be bought by everybody?

The panel is the same of Hp dreamcolor, but I guess it's not the only element to check.

I could test it for about 30 minutes and tomorrow I'll test it again, but again for a jiff and in an environment not so appropriate; but from what I've seen so far, it has an excellent view angle (ok that's not the point) and that in some profoto files I brought that show evident artifacts both on the Nec 24 sv ref and eizo 243cg, those artifacts are really less visible (reddish shadows above the rest)

Don't know if this is one of the aspects that could make it a better display, and I would appreciate if you could tell me what I could look for to find the (eventual) weak points

thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babel View Post
The panel is the same of Hp dreamcolor, but I guess it's not the only element to check.
The Dreamcolor product was a nightmare (for many). I'm glad that at the time I was offered what appeared to be a great deal for one (early adopters), I decided not to. Those I know who did buy into that product ended up with all kinds of issues. I'm not saying this unit will be the same, just that HP's solution didn't work all that well and I don't even know if it's available so be very careful here!

At least the SpectraView has been around a long time with generally favorable reviews.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2013, 12:41 PM

that's absolutely a good point; I'll look for more information about hp and if the problems were all in the panel etc.

thanks a lot for your help
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware