RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

New Mac time

Old 12-22-2013, 02:43 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: New Mac time

lurch said, "too much time at the computer". How is that possible?! ;-)

Tony said, "have you considered the PC alternative?"

I'm not addressing Windows specifically but recently I was given a 2007 Mac Pro CPU by a colleague who was tired of fighting with its quirks. I have it running pretty stable as an "emergency" backup computer, but the fact that one has to add a monitor got me researching monitors. Long story short, it appears that one must spend about the equivalent cost of a new iMac to get a comparable quality monitor, so you might as well get the iMac-!

The same conclusion holds true when building a computer (PC or Hackintosh) to save money. You still have the monitor cost/quality issue to deal with.

As for the glossy iMac monitor, I'm sitting at one now and see reflections from the window I would rather not see, but it sure beats the average PC monitor one comes across on a daily basis. Windows (running as a VM) never looked so good!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Patron

My suggestion partly tongue in cheek as it is unlikely that you will get users to change OS without good reason.

I do not know enough about the various Mac systems to be able to offer a personal and informed opinion so have relied on other users views on the aspect of the Apple screens.

At least one well known and respected author, Martin Evening has quoted in at least a couple of his books:
I have found it impossible to calibrate the new iMac displays and makes them unusable for Photoshop image editing. The only viable solution has been to run a secondary display off the iMac I take on location, which kind of defeats the reason for having an iMac in the first place!"

So my take on this is that you may still need to consider a secondary display with the iMac therefore the cost of this would have to be considered which then makes the Mac quite expensive in comparison. Unless of course things have changed with Apple screens since Mr Evening published his works CS6 and LR5.

I agree the average PC monitor for most home users is a secondary consideration (included as a makeweight by the supplier) and usually of poor quality, rarely calibrated and probably not needed to be by most as they are not particularly interested in accurate viewing or print matching as long as the colours look ok.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2013, 06:14 AM

Everyone's talking about the cpu core stuff and getting a ton of memory, but please do not forget the one single piece of hardware that gave the computers an extra boost in recent years was SSD drive. You're missing a lot of fun without it, even on the bulkiest configurations available. My advice is either go with the 'real' SSD or at least with a Fusion Drive (as per iMac).

I have found the latest Macbook Pro Retina 15-inchers the perfect tool for me. It's portable, it has a hell lof of power (I have thoroughly tested 2-3 gig 16bit PSDs side-by-side with the latest iMac and you cannot really tell the difference), the latest PCI Express SSD is spectacular. I'll go with the Retina + external ColorEdge.

There is of course a question how long will it last under a constant workload. I've always thought of the Mini as the most stable workhorse at a reasonable price, but I would not be able to take it anywhere hence the laptop purchase.

Also, I have found the screen in latest gen iMac to be not so great especially considering the shadow detail.

Last edited by insmac; 12-26-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Thanks all: some good stuff here which I will digest at leisure. Still doing Xmas visits [hic] at the moment - it goes on rather long in the UK! [hic]
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 11:53 AM

Good comparison of the IMac vs the new Pro.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...toWhatsNewsTop

Sounds like a hot rodded IMac is the way to go, but the monitor issue gives me pause. Not only is it low Apple quality, hard to calibrate, but, it's built in. What happens when one is past warranty (which isn't too long) and has monitor issues? And a retoucher's issues may be laughed off by most others, who would look at it and say, hey, what's the problem? Sorry, but, I'll take an Eizo hooked up to a, ahem, Pro.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Patron

Great article, thanks Benny!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Sorry, but, I'll take an Eizo hooked up to a, ahem, Pro.
I would ask what's wrong with a mini. You would get fewer years due to 16 vs 32GB of ram, but it's still a solid little machine for PS work. It should be updated soon too. Both have similar limitations in terms of storage. Thunderbolt doesn't have that many good options, and Apple likes to oversell theirs. For example I wouldn't try to run Raid 5 or anything parity based on that silly Pegasus tower. It's not really set up with the appropriate hardware, yet they suggest it. Note the complaints on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Patron

I set up Mac Mini for a colleague the other day and noticed it had a 5400 rpm hard drive, hmm. Nice design and all that, but hmm. Both base models offer the same speed HD with no obvious upgrade options for the lower end one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
I would ask what's wrong with a mini. You would get fewer years due to 16 vs 32GB of ram, but it's still a solid little machine for PS work. It should be updated soon too. Both have similar limitations in terms of storage. Thunderbolt doesn't have that many good options, and Apple likes to oversell theirs. For example I wouldn't try to run Raid 5 or anything parity based on that silly Pegasus tower. It's not really set up with the appropriate hardware, yet they suggest it. Note the complaints on it.
hmmmm….I once considered it, some time ago, but it lacked peripheral connections and storage then. Interesting price. Do you have one? Use one? I'm a cheapskate at heart. Don't need no damn video editing machine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
hmmmm….I once considered it, some time ago, but it lacked peripheral connections and storage then. Interesting price. Do you have one? Use one? I'm a cheapskate at heart. Don't need no damn video editing machine.
I've used them. I own an old (1,1) mac pro and a 2011 macbook pro. Ram is the primary downside if you predominantly require a photoshop/lightroom/capture one machine. Note that repairman is still using a G5. There are certain inconveniences. You don't have a lot of room for multiple displays. You do not have some of the same IO options, but the same problem exists with the newest mac pro. Other than the small number of thunderbolt peripherals, what is really different in that regard? Both are pretty much usb3, thunderbolt, and gigabit ethernet. You don't have any esata or practical SAS DAS options on either machine. The older style mac pro has them. The newest one does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
I set up Mac Mini for a colleague the other day and noticed it had a 5400 rpm hard drive, hmm. Nice design and all that, but hmm. Both base models offer the same speed HD with no obvious upgrade options for the lower end one.
It's possible to install one. More ram helps far more than an ssd though, as you can get to the point where it won't touch scratch disks and everything is memory cached.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware