RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

New Mac time

Old 01-15-2014, 05:42 PM

Re: New Mac time

I just had a duh moment when I got home. Hot rod a 21 inch iMac, and then connect a second monitor which would become your primary monitor, and the original relegated to second monitor status for tools and palettes and stuff. I always try to have two monitors. (I have a basic 21 inch iMac at home) That should work, right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 08:49 PM

It definitely works with newer ones. There are things I really abhor about imacs, but system preferences gives you the option to set the dominant display in the arrangement. If they both display the same thing, uncheck mirroring.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2014, 02:09 AM

After spending most of the year working at a client site, which delayed a decision, I finally decided on the new iMac with some extra oomph added. This'll be fine for my compositional work and I'll link a decent monitor next to it to view colour critical tasks. The reflective screen may be an issue but as I keep my office very dark I may get away with it! I'll get the large Wacom Intuos Pro tablet to complete the package. Are there any serious alternatives to Wacom; I've read their build quality isn't so good these days?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2014, 02:14 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

See, the longer you wait the nicer Mac you get!

Yes, the glossy screen can get annoying, but as you say, keep the room light low and you're good (I actually have a small fluorescent/mercury bulb-type lamp mounted directly behind my iMac and it makes a nice backlight effect).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2014, 10:12 AM

I've been looking at older MacPro towers on Craigs (I'm near NYC, there's always some), and that may be what I buy soon. About a thousand for a serious machine, circa 2010.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2014, 12:52 PM

I'll keep my Intel MacPro for it's PS CS5 as I dip my toe into CC waters. The pre intel one is heading for Boot Hill. It comes to the stage when absolutely nothing works with old kit; phones, browsers nada. Shame; those old Macs are rock solid and looked good aswell.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Patron

I dunno Benny, I would not drop that much on an almost 5-year-old machine.

I've had horrible experiences with a slightly older (2007) MacPro – bad motherboard (seemingly) causing the notorious random restart issue (visit Apple's forums and bring tissues).

My point is, those towers are powerful but dogs. Bad design or something. Some of my colleagues in higher ed use the later models of the tower in a video production environment and there's always some part going bad.

I would build a Hackintosh before dropping that much cash on an old Pro. You'd get a faster machine too, for less.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2014, 03:16 PM

I don't know. 1000 bucks vs 5-6000 bucks for a trashcan. I'm not buying until April, so..........

Our department moved to trashcans about eight months ago because somebody, ahem, cough cough, thought we'd all be dealing with 3D processing and such. Um, that is a whole other sad story, but, I really don't see the difference that justifies the cost in Photoshop. Sure, some things are quicker, but, not really 4000 dollars quicker, know what I mean? My major concern is if I'm buying something that will be obsolete five years before the other, but, then again, if you do a little cost analysis, big whoop, just buy a new one down the line and invest the difference (or buy an Epson 7980, which I really want).

Never had problems with the new Mac towers after 08. Solid. Actually, never really had problems with Macs in general. Just the drives every now and then, of course.

Last edited by Benny Profane; 12-11-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Patron

Understood. I manage Mac labs and for the most part all iMacs are reliable, though as you say the occasional drive will fail.

I also wouldn't spend my own money on a Gen 1 trashcan. Would still build a future-proof Hackintosh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2014, 03:49 PM

Explain "Hackintosh".
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware