RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Color management on iPad?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:18 AM

Color management on iPad?

One week ago I bought i1 Display Pro. I used external services to profile my monitors before but I decided to buy my own profiling instrument.

When I tried to register my new hardware on X-Rite's website I found out that they released new app few days ago.

http://tinyurl.com/lxpgh76

I was very happy I will be able to profile my iPad Mini till the time I released that iProfiler does not see my new i1 Display Pro ...

It is very strange as I profiled my monitors with Argyll CMS without any problems and I am satisfied with my new profiles.

So I contacted X-Rite's support team but unfortunately they were not able to help me. I sent them all requested informations regarding hardware I use but they suggested me to reinstall their software again and again.

What a shame that this company is not able to make their own software and hardware work together!

Regards, Filip

-----------------------------------------
photoapps.info & shotworldwide.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2014, 05:07 PM

Re: Color management on iPad?

i1Profiler wouldn't work where? FWIW iOS doesn't have any system level color management, which is annoying. It is still possible to implement appropriate conversions within a given app. You can also still apply a conversion to framebuffer objects, but I'm not an expert on iOS. In fact I'm not even 100% aware of what options are and are not available in OpenGL ES compared to the OpenGL 4.0 specification.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2014, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
i1Profiler wouldn't work where? FWIW iOS doesn't have any system level color management, which is annoying. It is still possible to implement appropriate conversions within a given app. You can also still apply a conversion to framebuffer objects, but I'm not an expert on iOS. In fact I'm not even 100% aware of what options are and are not available in OpenGL ES compared to the OpenGL 4.0 specification.
You need a desktop computer to be able to profile mobile device. I am on Mac but I think it should work on Windows as well.

In my case iProfiler on Mac does not see i1 Display Pro.

Their app on mobile device will connect to iProfiler on desktop and run patches. You just place i1 Display Pro on tablet or phone and create new profile. Unfortunately I was not able to try it yet.

Regards, Filip

------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2014, 09:37 AM

FWIW, the new ColorTrue app to "profile" (it doesn't) your iPad doesn't work so well. Not if your idea is a visual match of iPad to the desktop. Not with only three options for White Point. I did my iPad, none of the settings were close to a match of my NEC. The 'calibration' was better than none, but the product fails to do what X-rite claims it can do. The company makes really good hardware, their softwsare development is somehwat of a trainwreck IMHO.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 AM

Thanks for letting us know about this, always wanted ios to be calibrateable. I just tried this on my ipad, had to download this to my desk/laptop - http://www.xrite.com/product_overvie...upport&id=1509. you dont need to start up i1 profiler for it to work.
Then your ipad app should recognise it over your local wifi, seems to be pretty accurate so far, i'll try my iphone next.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl-retouch View Post
Thanks for letting us know about this, always wanted ios to be calibrateable. I just tried this on my ipad, had to download this to my desk/laptop - http://www.xrite.com/product_overvie...upport&id=1509. you dont need to start up i1 profiler for it to work.
Then your ipad app should recognise it over your local wifi, seems to be pretty accurate so far, i'll try my iphone next.
Well there is no system level color management. You can still set up a color engine within a given engine and make some assumptions about the iPad or iphone display. Most people probably use something like sRGB to estimate it, even though that isn't correct. I have a number of photo and paint apps for iOS on bookmarked. They had to use something internally for conversions, or the applications themselves might just assume sRGB on anything that is imported. I guess if you really want to find out, you need a disassembler.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
I have a number of photo and paint apps for iOS on bookmarked.
Could you give me some examples, please, I would like to check them out. I am learning Objective-C language and I would say that it is going to be similar to the way how you apply color filters (like Instagram for example) on photograph.

Regards, Filip

-----------------------------------------
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
Could you give me some examples, please, I would like to check them out. I am learning Objective-C language and I would say that it is going to be similar to the way how you apply color filters (like Instagram for example) on photograph.

Regards, Filip
I know some Objective-C, but my knowledge of OpenGL is terrible. Popular photo apps here and here. By far the most popular iOS illustration app here. The app store seems fairly saturated with that kind of thing, given that there are some really good ones that are either cheap or free. If you intend to add something, I hope it at least differentiates itself.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware