RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Which PC to choose

Old 07-09-2014, 11:20 AM

Re: Which PC to choose

Hello Johns,
Thanks for the replies,this is where i get hung up with all this IT jargon,looking at the laptop it says it has 2.6Ghz,1.6Ghz with turbo boost,3Mb cache,whatever that means,as for memory,by starting at 8GB are you talking about RAM?
Paul.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Hi Paul - Good question

In the post where you listed the laptop specs you had right under the processor spec you had the memory:

"Intel core i5 4200u processor
Memory 4GB"

Instead of 4GB there I was suggesting the 8G would be a much better way to go. Hope that clarifies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2014, 12:29 PM

Thanks for clarifying John,
Paul.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2014, 03:07 PM

You're welcome Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2014, 08:05 AM

Regarding the mentioned laptop (Acer V5-573) the quick look on http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Ac....html#c1222631 reveals the screen has a nice sRGB coverage and it is indeed pretty much nice for the price. I doubt you can get better without spending more.

My only two concers are hard disk - which runs at 5400 RPM and is likely to be the slowest part of this setup - and also take into consideration the CPU - if nothing's changed, U-series indicate low-voltage (lower power drain) line of processor units, which is perfectly fine regarding the comfort - keeps laptop cooler, noise levels down and the battery lasts longer - but not that much for performance. Having said that, modern CPUs are really fast ones and with a lot of RAM memory and an SSD upgrade (more on that below) you should be just fine for general workload.

RAM itself won't be that much of an improvement if you have a really slow hard drive. I'd look for an upgrade to a SSD drive, that should be an option. You can always have a rather cheap external storage unit for archiving.

Most of the modern notebooks are really sleek, light and slim devices which is not so good for upgrades, since a seemingly easy task like replacing a hard drive can get painful and broke the warranty in some cases. Hence, you might have to choose an upgrade upon ordering.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2014, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the info Insmac,this is becoming a bit of a minefield,looking at my existing laptop (Acer Aspire 5750),i am considering keeping this,it's a few years old now but still working,may upgrade the hard drive from 500 GB HDD,i have 8GB DDR3 memory,it has intel core i5 2.4Hz processor,am thinking of taking everything off of it and using it purely for Photoshop and buy a cheaper one or similar for my everyday things,been looking more into monitors,this seems to be the most important piece of equipment,am looking at Eizo Foris FS2333 23" monitor.
Any opinions on this?
Regards
Paul.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2014, 07:59 AM

Do not buy it. It is not for colour-critical workflow by any means.

Get EIZO CS230 instead. It's a superb screen for the price. Worth every penny.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2014, 11:00 AM

Many thanks for the input insmac,i can just about stretch my budget to that,i would rather spend a little more and get something that is up to the job and will last years,i'm guessing i still need a colour calibrator for it?
Paul.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Yeah but with this one you can rent one from a friend or somewhere else and once the initial calibration is done the built in self correction sensor will adjust the settings to maintain the calibration within a prolonged period of time.

In other words, this is quite frankly the best screen you can get for that price and a superb screen overall.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2014, 09:25 AM

Eizo CS230 has been ordered,should be with me tomorrow :0)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware