RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Iwas wondering to sell my Nec 24" wide gamut

Old 09-16-2014, 03:23 PM

Re: Iwas wondering to sell my Nec 24" wide gamut

NEC will haves a 4K SpectraView in the foreseeable future.
Not sure what the big deal is about a so called "self calibrating" display. Apple tried this years and years ago (ColorSync Display), wasn't anything special. You have a good Colorimeter, you place it on the display and the SpectraView software does all the rest; about as close to self calibrating as one can expect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2014, 03:30 PM

@andrew You say it's worth investing another 250 pounds ? Spectraview + calibrating tool . My colormunki doesn't go with spectraview.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2014, 03:36 PM

Which Colormunki product do you have? SpectraView does support one, so you only need to purchase SpectraView or stick with Multiprofiler (free).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2014, 03:39 PM

colormunki/display by x-rite . Multiprofiler doesn't do hardware calibration it does graphic card if I am correct.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2014, 03:47 PM

My copy of SpectraView shows support for a ColorMunki but the damn names X-rite uses these days is so confusing. See: http://www.necdisplay.com/support-an...m_requirements

I'm not sure if that means the Spectrophotometer of that name or the lesser expensive Colorimeter. I have to check. What's odd is the Colormunki Display is exactly the same hardware as the i1Display Pro but it runs slower and comes with crippled software.

I believe Multiprofiler does hardware calibration IF you mean it controls the SpectraView itself.

http://www.necdisplay.com/support-an...i-profiler/faq
Quote:
How does the monitor calculate colors and luminance values?

NEC MultiSync PA Series monitors are individually factory calibrated using a highly accurate lab-grade color measurement device. This calibration is combined with internal luminance, temperature and time monitoring of the display monitor in order to provide stable and accurate color. The internal SpectraView Engine color processor takes these factory measurements together with the internal sensor values and automatically calculates and compensates for color changes, and allows color values such as white point and brightness to be specified in absolute values.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2014, 04:09 PM

This is email from support@basiccolor.de
Hello,

the SpectraView Profiler 5 is not for free if you have purchased a MultiSync PA241w.
It will cost 100,- EUR + VAT per seat.

There are quite a lot of measurement devices which can be used in combination with the software. In combination with the monitor I personally would recommend to use one of the following instruments.

- basICColor DISCUS
- NEC Spectra Sensor / i1 Display pro / basICColor SQUID3
- i1 pro II
- Spyder 4 "

From what I just red about Multiprofiler is : when using print emulation option I can choose ICC/ColorSync profile for the printer to create a 3D LUT in the monitor. But it doesn't say if I can calibrate hardware in multiprofiler user guide: http://update.necdisplay.com/multipr...03_English.pdf
Funny enough you first link have ,,x-rite colormunki,, there ( * See the README file for more information on ColorMunki compatibility. ) and my one is ,,x-rite colormunki/display,, . Confusion for me.

Last edited by nebulaoperator; 09-16-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Patron

Not sure this of much help but AFAIK ColorMunki Display is not compatible with NEC Spectraview you will need either ColorMunki Photo or ColorMunki Design. Again AFAIK they are the same instrument but the difference is that Design is white and uses a different software interface.

When it comes to UK version of Spectraview you are looking at basICColor display 5. Once again it seems that you have to use the spectrophotometer version of ColorMunki i.e. Photo or Design. Why the omission of ColorMunki Display is anyones guess as support for other colorimeters is pretty full including Spyder 2, Spyder 3, Spyder 4, Monaco OPTIX XR, NEC SpectraSensor Pro, X-Rite DTP 94etc.
http://www.basiccolor.de/basiccolor-display-5-en/

I am also confused as to why this situation has developed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2014, 04:27 AM

@Tony
Thanks. Remember this thread ? : http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/har...brating-2.html So much advice being left there just a year ago though.
I am pretty sure the route for me here is like you suggest. basICColor display 5 + onme of the calibrating tools. What monitor do you have? Any suggestion of colorimeters has best value for money? I don't want to spend fortune on it either.
Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2014, 10:00 AM
Patron

Hi Nebula
I do think the route basICColour ideal if you are staying with NEC and I cannot think of a good reason why you should not.

My current monitors NEC 2090UXi (x2, 1 slightly ill at the moment) these are standard gamut low end NEC displays but still quite adequate for purpose of photo editing and the current one been in use around 3 years with 10,800 hours on it. Still does not stop me lusting after wide gamut 4k display and suspect that this will happen within the next 12 months

I still use the old Spyder 2 puck (only suitable for standard gamut monitors) for calibration but ditched the software provided in favour of NEC SpectraView II and hardware calibration that this combo offers. This is not available for purchase in the UK and I got a colleague to purchase for me several years ago in the USA. I would not suggest this route unless you can be sure that NEC have not applied a firmware lock on European monitors to prevent SpectraView as suggested on several forums

Cheapest option would be the Spyder 4 colorimeter around £118. Many have knocked the Datacolor offerings in the past due to I think poor quality control i.e. versions 2 & 3. I have no experience of the new puck but no particular reason to believe it inferior to other offerings
http://www.nativedigital.com/datacol...or-calibrator/

If I was buying now I would probably go with the more expensive X -Rite i1 Display Pro at around £170. Taking the lifetime of the unit into consideration the cost difference I believe worthwhile
http://www.nativedigital.com/xrite-i...FW3JtAodBFQAPw
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2014, 02:41 PM

Hi Tony it's been long time
Very true.. basiCColour is ticked in shopping list.
You know I started with HP LP2475W at the time for my needs it was great machine only when it got broken I realised there is a whole new expensive monitor market and that I have to calibrate monitor. I also wasn't aware you also have to spend money on calibrating hardware and software.
Was there anything not right with NEC SpectraView II so far?
Thanks for the links.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware