RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Iwas wondering to sell my Nec 24" wide gamut

Old 08-26-2014, 06:02 AM

Iwas wondering to sell my Nec 24" wide gamut

Hello,

I was wondering to sell my my NEC 24" PA241A wide gamut monitor and need your advice.
The reason I want to sell it I want to get more expensive self calibrating one. By no means this monitor is bad for me and it still works like a charm. I have calibrating hardware and NEC software just were thinking to switch to basic colour calibrating soft and getting a new calibrating tool. So this would set me another ≈ £250. I am not sure if this worth a move or shall I have it for another year or so?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2014, 10:23 AM

Re: Iwas wondering to sell my Nec 24" wide gamut

Hi Nebula
It would help to know the specific monitor models you are considering as far as tradeoffs.
It also depends on your financial decision making.
If you have relatively unlimited funds and just "want" a new monitor then that is a different decision if you are in business and want to evaluate based on ROI or Return on Investment.

All equipment needs to be replaced at some point when it no longer meets your needs. Yet I understand what you have still meets your needs so why switch. From a business standpoint one needs to answer the question "how will that hardware investment allow me to run my business and produce a better product or be more productive. One typically picks the hardware/software that gives you the best ROI when considering the total cost of ownerhip (price, maintenance, lifespan.

Now if you just "want" a new monitor with certain bells and whistles and this is not a business decision, then the decision may be simpler on how to spend discretionary money.

In either case there are a lot of factors one can consider in such a purchase so if you provide more details on your needs and priorities and the other monitors being considered, I am sure you would get a lot of opinions on the forum.

Just a suggestion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2014, 12:26 PM
Patron

If your only reason is that you feel you want a self calibrating monitor (Eizo?) for me this would not be enough justification. How difficult is it to attach a puck to computer and calibrate and how much time would self calibration save?

If you want/need a larger screen then perhaps yes, but you are probably looking at £1500+.

UK NEC I believe use Basicolor and allow full hardware calibration so this may be a better route and at much less cost?

If it was me I think I would be waiting to see what arrives in the 4K releases although I suspect NEC or Eizo are likely to be quite expensive
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulaoperator View Post
Hello,
The reason I want to sell it I want to get more expensive self calibrating one.
What do you mean self calibrating?
Are you using the SpectraView software?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
What do you mean self calibrating?
Are you using the SpectraView software?
I eman like this one: http://www.jigsaw24.com/eizo-24-inch...-product/22905
I was comparing to my one NEC PA241W which doesn't have calibration sensor.Nope I use Multiprofiler with colormunki Display.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2014, 07:34 AM

@John Wheeler
True I have to validate my purchase. I am not sure I have enough evidence to do it. One thing is warranty which is 3 years provided by manufacturer. While EIZO I linked in my previous reply provides 5 Years. Peace of mind for long period. I have done quite a few hours with my present monitor though it still works perfectly fine.
I am aware that I can do hardware based calibration on my NEC all I need is to get Spectraview/basicolour soft at 100 pounds + calibrating tool of around 150 pounds.
@Tony W I don't think I need larger 24" is fine at the moment. Yes UK is with Basicolor. This and calibrating tool will set off around 250 pounds
Just curious how would you justify 4k monitor vs 1080 ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Patron

Quote:
@Tony W I don't think I need larger 24" is fine at the moment. Yes UK is with Basicolor. This and calibrating tool will set off around 250 pounds
Just curious how would you justify 4k monitor vs 1080 ?
I am not sure that I could justify 4k at this time but it seems to me that everyone will be jumping on this particular bandwagon and there should be advantages, also potential disadvantages?

Extra resolution should improve image clarity and the ability to get closer to true print size view a bonus - but still short by a good margin AFAIK of hitting 300/360 ppi that current printers report to OS.

As to disadvantages I am unsure at this time but I wonder about OS/application support and the fact that you will need a computer system with a suitable graphics card that can drive it. Many Windows desktops should be up to the task?

I have seen some positive comments on the 'net' about the Dell 4k units but have to say that I remain somewhat unconvinced and would prefer to be looking at either NEC or Eizo and the hardware calibration that these offer.

This one for instance from NEC looks interesting and the price not too OTT?

Last edited by Tony W; 09-16-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2014, 12:05 PM

@Tony

I had a thought of 4K resolution. Isn't it going to be like more detail to work on not necessarily justified one? I guess bigger size print would benefit from it otherwise magazines and internet doing just fine with 1080?
Sure more demanding graphic card. I was wondering if Iris integrated graphics from Intel is capable to work with under current loads 1080 ? I have old Radeon HD 5770 which does a perfect job for my system. Had a quick look as for 4K monitor we are looking somewhere at 120-180 pounds range to spend on GCard.
As for photoshop ( OS) PS icons can be scaled up and down. Not sure fro windows. Iv'e red windows icons on smaller resolution monitor gets pretty cramped .
I just had a look for monitor warranty extension price and that hearts : http://www.nec-display-solutions.com...choice&cat=LCD
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Patron

Hi nebula
The thing is that I just do not know what 4k may bring to the table not having used such for photo editing work. Will/does it make a huge difference or are we buying into hype or maybe a bit of both? As I do not have a definitive answer FWIW current thoughts are (and I hope that others may chime in with 4k experience!):
Quote:
...I had a thought of 4K resolution. Isn't it going to be like more detail to work on not necessarily justified one?
It may offer a better editing experience with fine detail more clearly displayed but as this is probably only one part of the image chain it is likely images are going to end up elsewhere e.g. output to print etc.? how important is this going to be

Some years ago I bought a Plasma TV with HD capability. The claims at that time were that the 4x information over SD images needed to be seen to be believed. Well I am not sure exactly what I was expecting but have to say I was a little disappointed. Sure the difference noticeable with the screen fed with HD image source vs SD. But these differences at least partially negated once at a reasonable viewing distance and often quite difficult to tell if the source HD or SD (still the screen from Pioneer gave one of the best SD images I had seen at the time).
Of course the difference here is that we are generally going to be viewing images closer than a TV, therefore I would imagine that at least for this part of the image pipeline that UHD of benefit.
Quote:
I guess bigger size print would benefit from it otherwise magazines and internet doing just fine with 1080?
Yes, what I was getting at was the fact that with my current monitor (100ppi) to view on screen at print size (for Canon/HP 300/600ppi) I need to reduce image size to 33.3%/ 16.67% and there is just not enough resolution to make a judgement relating to print sharpening - not the end of the world but more pixels should be of help?
Quote:
Sure more demanding graphic card. I was wondering if Iris integrated graphics from Intel is capable to work with under current loads 1080 ? I have old Radeon HD 5770 which does a perfect job for my system. Had a quick look as for 4K monitor we are looking somewhere at 120-180 pounds range to spend on GCard.
No idea about the integrated Intel cards, but it seems you need a card that can support the native resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels
Quote:
As for photoshop ( OS) PS icons can be scaled up and down. Not sure fro windows. Iv'e red windows icons on smaller resolution monitor gets pretty cramped .
AFAIK with Windows you are quite limited in scaling some of the PS fonts but the icons do not scale well if at all.

From what I can see monitor warranty with Eizo The warranty period of the LCD panel is five (5) years but usage time of the monitor is limited to 30,000 hours or less from the date of purchase.

I believe NEC warranty standard 3 years but I have always been under the impression that an equivalent Eizo much more expensive therefore does the added expense relate to the fact that warranty longer rather than a technical benefit?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2014, 03:05 PM

@Tony W,

Could be I would notice a difference of the print if bigger then lets say A4. I usually keep image at this size when retouching. Surely zoom in and out while working.
Think of this : You would spend more time dealing with extra detail. Would you charge more for it?!
My guess most of us will buy into 4k eventually but gradually. If I had more money than I have now I would get 4K and new PC. You know what I mean ?!
30000 hours =1250 days and nights. I am hardcore on my NEC I only managed 7348 so far in two years.
I never tried Eizo. What I heard is praise. Surely I would do research if I go for it. You know I am very happy with my NEC so who knows if not NEC will be again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware