RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Imac 27" or Mac Pro/Retina vs Eizo

Old 08-29-2014, 01:15 PM

Imac 27" or Mac Pro/Retina vs Eizo

The people at Apple tell me my early 2008 Mac Pro Quad-Core needs a new logic board. Instead of spending any more money on it (I just replaced the graphics card) I have decided to upgrade to a new computer. My question is
do I get a lower end Mac Pro or an Imac with all the upgrades options.

Another question I use a 24" Coloredge Eizo monitor and have been told that retina displays are clearer and thus better seeing noise and sharpness. Which is better

Last edited by HSilberman; 08-29-2014 at 01:17 PM. Reason: I did not finish my post
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2014, 01:27 PM

Re: Imac 27" or Mac Pro/Retina vs Eizo

Quote:
Another question I use a 24" Coloredge Eizo monitor and have been told that retina displays are clearer and thus better seeing noise and sharpness. Which is better
Sharpener, probably. Better? Depends on what you want from the display. In terms of a unit that can be calibrated and produce a better match to a print, nope. And unless the final output is to another display, you really can't judge sharpness on-screen. It's a pretty low resolution device although the Retina is a step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2014, 06:01 PM

Hi HSilberman
Hard to be specific without knowing all your priorities yet here are some things to consider
- If it was Apple telling you about Retina displays then of course you will here they are the best and your really need them.
- As far as I know "Retina" displays are not used along with the iMac. iMacs (and thunderbolt displays) are about 100 ppi while the MacBook Pros are around 220 ppi displays. A bit apples and oranges
- Apple displays are closer to sRGB in Gamut and most ColorEdge monitors I see today are closer to Adobe RGB. So color gamut may come in to the discussion
- As far as Mac Pro vs iMac they are targeting different markets so different tradeoffs. Do you want the sRGB 100 dpi iMac monitor? Also, will the maxed out iMac meet your needs over the lifetime you expect to keep it? iMac is a fine machine if the performance and display meet your needs.
- A lower end Mac Pro has the opportunity for expansion yet you are also paying a premium.
- Does needing dual displays come into play in your decision making? Either can cover the needs if you are OK with the iMac display being one of them.
---------------
Hope these thoughts are helpful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSilberman View Post
Not to sound patronizing, but did a salesman tell you that? Displays have a lot of room for resolution improvements. The sharpness is really the only superior quality to the macbook pro, but notebook displays have outpaced larger displays on resolution for a number of years. Apple only started to push that narrative when theirs took a big leap.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2014, 07:47 AM

Your concern shouldn't be sharpness, but color accuracy in a monitor, or, ease and stability of calibration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2014, 01:52 PM

If you're looking for a retina-like sharpness and color accuracy/stability/gamut together, check out NEC EA244UHD. It is a 24 inch 4K display with adobergb gamut, hardware calibrated, and a price tag little bit higher than PA272w. There is also a 32inch beast but its hefty price will leave a dent in your wallet.

For a laptop display, Retina does an excellent job. I do Capture One work on it on location (i.e. in the studio) and love it. Then again it is only a laptop display. Get yourself a serious screen for serious retouching.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware