RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Getting good B&W prints on an inkjet

Old 10-07-2002, 04:23 AM

Clare, check out InkJetArt. They replace the color catridge in a photo printer with one containing 5 shades of grey. (sorry I can't point you to the exact page where they discuss it)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2002, 04:50 AM

Chears Big Al ... I am going there now.
I have noticed that because I am using XP!!! that my drivers were not correct. ( I have not used my epson on this system yet -I've been printing loads of colour and I use the HP!).
Epson also have a plug in on there site for colour matching (Called PRINT image Matching). I've down loaded it but have not tried it out. If anyones interested I will post my findings with it after a bit of experimentation.

Thanks again for the pointers
Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2002, 04:54 AM

Here's a newsletter which discusses the subject.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2002, 07:08 AM

I've just tried Danny's tip and have a usable print. The graduation has come out slightly sepia, but the warmth adds to the atmosphere of the image. Thanks Danny.

I'm still going to look into turning into a dedicated b+w printer but at least now I've got more time to read up on it - there seem to be quite a few systems out there but not all support the 750. Thanks Big Al for your links they are very interesting and informative. I would like to find a English site that sell the bulk continuous ink system .... more web searching!

Thanks again for the input
Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2002, 07:19 AM

Clare, if you're using the Epson for your B/W prints you can try fiddling with the color sliders in the printer driver itself as I mentioned a few posts back on this thread. This is the way to go if your image colors look good on the screen.

Unfortunately, I don't think HP drivers allow the same degree of control as Epson.

Last edited by BigAl; 10-07-2002 at 07:25 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2007, 11:00 PM

Re: Getting good B&W prints on an inkjet

TimS,
The Epson R2400 is a printer that uses three shades of black ink (K3) to print outstanding B&W photos. No color halos on this one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwintoo View Post
Doug: Thanks, I'll follow those up.

Danny: I don't want to spend any money - but if I have to, $150 would be my limit.

By poor quality, I mean B&W with a green cast on the print where none is visible on the screen also patches of other colors appearing at odd places. I'm printing on glossy paper, and most of the image is glossy, but there will be patches of dull finish. In some cases the contrast is glaring.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much. I have an Epson C80 and tried printing the same image to it and got the same result as to dull spots and color cast etc.

I used to be a seamstress - maybe I should just chuck this computer stuff and go back to it.

Margaret
I had a similar issue with an Epson C82 some time back with glossy paper, where patches were not glossy but flat and colour tinged. Investigations revealed that the paper I was using had become unstable and it was a known issue with the paper I had been using, and as such the ink was not taking to the paper properly
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 07:46 PM

Quality B&W images come with a cost of a good printer spend the money. The cost of time paying around is not worth it. Epson 3800 is the way i would go. NP
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware