RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Hardware (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/hardware/)
-   -   Logitech MX Master mouse (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/hardware/38521-logitech-mx-master-mouse.html)

Doug Nelson 05-09-2015 05:22 AM

Logitech MX Master mouse

This has little to do with Photoshop, but I'm just so chuffed about my new mouse I wanted to share.

This mouse, the Logitech MX Master mouse, I bought for its ability to mouse on any surface, even a mirror (no, I don't mouse on a mirror, I mouse on my Wacom tablet, which stopped supporting its own mouse for some reason).

But the wheel on this thing caught me totally by surprise. It has the normal clicky stops that many do, and a button to release it for freewheeling. But it also has a little servo in it that will automatically release it if you move it fast and far enough.

This was totally unexpected, but in just a few days it has completely changed the way I navigate, even the way I edit videos. Move it slowly and it clicks carefully and slowly, flick it and it suddenly starts spinning like a gyroscope. We have some long pages here, and the longest of them can be travelled top to bottom faster than it takes to think about it.

And I edited a small video just a few hours ago. Normally I have to do macro moves along the timeline by dragging, then switch to the mousewheel when I'm only a few seconds away. Now I can do it all without taking my finger off the mousewheel. It was actually fun. I went through and edited out some stray frames that I'd normally leave, just because I could.

Expensive, and definitely not for gaming. But for any sort of serious production work, I highly recommend it.

stormyboy 05-09-2015 04:27 PM

Re: Logitech MX Master mouse

Doug,

Thanks for the review of this new mouse. I wasn't aware of it, nor have I seen it in the stores. Every time I go into Best Buy I check out the regular mice and the separate department of gaming mice for a future replacement.

My favorite mouse for years now is my wireless Logitech MX Laser. It's no longer made, so when buttons started failing I used the terrific DeoxIT products to get it working like new.

I tried out the Performance Mouse MX wireless, but I didn't like the higher placement of the forward and backward buttons. That would be my only concern about the MX Master.

Tom

Doug Nelson 05-09-2015 04:36 PM

The MX Master has it's forward/back buttons in an odd place, behind your thumb knuckle, so you actually have to shift your thumb back to use them. Odd, but I got used to it very quickly. Your thumb actually rests on another scrollwheel, designed for sideways scrolling. It works on webpages, but nowhere else that I can see.

The entire mouse is also one big button. If you press down it goes into gesture mode, but this requires too much effort, it's very hard to press down that way, and I never got used to gestures anyway.

stormyboy 05-09-2015 04:49 PM

Thanks for the further descriptions. I need to find one of these so I can see how it feels. Also, you have intrigued me with the whole mouse becomes a button thing. I'm off to the website to read about it.

Tom

Doug Nelson 05-09-2015 04:55 PM

My local Best Buy had them in stock, and they aren't discounted anywhere, but I got mine off eBay as an open box deal.

skoobey 05-09-2015 05:07 PM

Yep have had one of these "pro" Logitech mouses for years and love it.

stormyboy 05-09-2015 05:59 PM

skoobey,

Do you use it for a lot of web browsing also? If so, are the forward and backwards buttons comfortable for you?

Tom

skoobey 05-09-2015 11:33 PM

I have them, but I don't use them :D They just sit there. But I love the metal scroll wheel and how you can just let it go all the way down the text and all the way up just by letting it roll. I also love the weight of the mouse itself.
Mine also has the search button that brings up finder search tab, but I never use that, either. :D I'm old fashioned like that.

insmac 05-11-2015 06:15 PM

My good old MX 518 broke down after six years of heavy use and I gave the wireless one a shot which happened to be the - then top of the line - Logitech G700. I love it. The MX Master Mouse has essentially the same shape as the G700 and I believe they are related. Because it's a big, comfy and precise I use it a lot for Photoshop, too.

The thing with wireless is most of the mice on the market are low resolution, low polling which essentially means they suck for pro use. Razes has a few good ones and Logitech leads the pack.