RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Mac Book Pro 13" or 15"??? Is 13 big enough?

Old 06-17-2015, 05:34 PM

Re: Mac Book Pro 13" or 15"??? Is 13 big enough?

Well yeah so Apple is known for making things 'good enough' which means they are really consistent and nothing really stands out (as in 'performs poorly') but as with the case of integrated GPUs - they might went too far. I don't really know the exact numbers - I've read somewhere it's around 20-30% performance boost for the dGPU but then again these are plain numbers and I'd like a real life performance comparison (i.e. in Photoshop) which is obviously hard to get since it's all subjective.

But here's the thing: I have a friend who uses a top-of-the line PC, a real beast with the latest i7 CPU, two GeForce 970 joined together, you know, all the best. He bought a 13 incher and did not brag about it being too slow... that means something
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insmac View Post
But here's the thing: I have a friend who uses a top-of-the line PC, a real beast with the latest i7 CPU, two GeForce 970 joined together, you know, all the best. He bought a 13 incher and did not brag about it being too slow... that means something
That PC sucks?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
That PC sucks?
Haha no actually it was a first Apple computer he used and was impressed by it, which is a big thing considering he's (was) a hardcore PC fanatic. Now, he still likes the PC for being able to handle even the most bulked up games but know he does a lot of retouching on his Retina.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2015, 05:50 PM

Fact is, retouching, except for a hardcore composition, is not that demanding. Movie postproduction is what clogs computers because you'd need a really powerful machine to have a real-time preview of your filters and effects applied on each sequence.

The thing is, most of the time, you're working with rather simple tools - healing brush or a normal brush when doing the d&b and all the other operations occur in short bursts so that the CPU does not get hot. Now, when working in DavinciResolve, Premiere or After Effects you get that high CPU usage most of the time which spins the fans and get the noise levels up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Fact is, retouching, except for a hardcore composition, is not that demanding. Movie postproduction is what clogs computers because you'd need a really powerful machine to have a real-time preview of your filters and effects applied on each sequence.
That's roughly the same thing I tell people. Extra ram sometimes helps though, especially if you have any kind of intermittent lag. It's usually do to frequent swaps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2015, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
That's roughly the same thing I tell people. Extra ram sometimes helps though, especially if you have any kind of intermittent lag. It's usually do to frequent swaps.
Well if you juggle a lot of assets from other software (i.e. design a page in Illustrator with a lot of assets coming from PS) it certainly helps to have a lot of RAM to spare. But over the years I've seen the greatest, most dramatic improvement with regards to hard drive speed - switching from a traditional spinning one to a SSD was the best decision from all upgrades.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2015, 02:18 AM

Me too, but as soon as that "scratch disk" starts working you might just as well commit suicide. Ram is a necessity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2015, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Well if you juggle a lot of assets from other software (i.e. design a page in Illustrator with a lot of assets coming from PS) it certainly helps to have a lot of RAM to spare. But over the years I've seen the greatest, most dramatic improvement with regards to hard drive speed - switching from a traditional spinning one to a SSD was the best decision from all upgrades.
If you can hold everything in ram, it never even touches the SSD, which is still roughly 10% of the speed. Assuming your files are stored on fast media, you will also see some benefit. Some people just go with 32GB of ram on desktop machines to avoid ever touching scratch disks. You have to make the appropriate setting adjustments though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2015, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
If you can hold everything in ram, it never even touches the SSD, which is still roughly 10% of the speed. Assuming your files are stored on fast media, you will also see some benefit. Some people just go with 32GB of ram on desktop machines to avoid ever touching scratch disks. You have to make the appropriate setting adjustments though.
But then again it's the question of how exactly Photoshop handles the operations. It's the same as with saving a big PSD file: When I've upgraded a 7200 rpm magnetic HDD to a top of the line SSD it did not save the same file a few times faster - a lot faster, but not as much.

I'm not sure if everything stays in RAM since it has a few features like Autosave and so on. Certainly they improve and speed up things over time though - there is a huge speed boost in using the healing brush tool in the latest Photoshop CC 2015 released a few days ago.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2015, 03:52 AM

Quote:
But then again it's the question of how exactly Photoshop handles the operations. It's the same as with saving a big PSD file: When I've upgraded a 7200 rpm magnetic HDD to a top of the line SSD it did not save the same file a few times faster - a lot faster, but not as much.
It's a fairly complex operation, because you're doing more than just writing something to disk. First the data has to be encoded in a way that is appropriate to write to disk. Typically they want to save space. A psd may have an ICC v2 or v4 profile embedded in it, and if maximize compatibility is turned on, it will also contain a flattened copy of the image. This means the cpu must examine every pixel and encode them along with the other relevant information in a way that it can be stored to disk. Seeing as these things are highly sequential, it's often relegated to a single core, which mitigates some problems.

In this sense you're held up somewhat by the cpu and other things. You're held up longer if it lacks sufficient memory to buffer the temporary data prior to writing it to disk. For example, in older versions of photoshop, you could in fact disable compression. This meant that it didn't have to buffer anything. It would just dump the contents of memory to disk, which took a fraction of the time and resulted in a very large file.

Quote:
I'm not sure if everything stays in RAM since it has a few features like Autosave and so on. Certainly they improve and speed up things over time though - there is a huge speed boost in using the healing brush tool in the latest Photoshop CC 2015 released a few days ago.
It probably buffers it somewhere, but that may be in ram if it has control of sufficient amount of ram and the system isn't starved.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware