RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

recommendations on a new scanner

Old 07-08-2015, 01:17 PM

Re: recommendations on a new scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post

As to avoiding Nikon due to lack of support it can be argued that although Nikon no longer offer this it is not needed! Software form Vuescan and Silverfast is available (probably better than Nikons own). Repairers are still around that handle old imaging products. When I was considering a Coolscan and following examples on EBay they all sold at very high prices. Perhaps this is no longer the case and a bargain can be had?
It's not always practical and something I would research in advance. Prices still look ridiculous. Most of the Nikon scanners hit the market around $2000-3000, with the more expensive ones being large enough to scan medium format. I don't think the current pricing aligns well with with their value. A few years ago you could have purchased the cheapest imacons for about the same price, and of course if they actually move at that price, any replacement parts will cost a fortune. Regarding silverfast a license for that scanner costs $450.

It would be interesting to see a repair manual. I'm going to check whether any have shown up online.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 PM

Thanks for all the good info. I've learned a lot from this thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2015, 02:14 PM

I'm scanning photos using an Epson v500. My 'Working Space' is Adobe RGB (1998). The scans are coming out with an embedded profile of sRGB 1966-2.1. I'm wondering if it is possible to get scans that have an embedded profile of Adobe RGB using this scanner or do consumer grade scanners only have an embedded profile of sRGB? Do professional scanners have an embedded profile of RGB?

The original photos themselves don't have a very broad color pallet so it doesn't really matter for this project and I am mostly just curious.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Patron

You can use other profiles. I usually set professional mode and use the File Save method as described below from Epson Faq.

If using color profiles, be sure to enable the Embed ICC Profile setting. To access this setting, click the Customize button and then the File Save Settings button if you are scanning in Full Auto Mode, or the File Save Settings button to the right of the Scan button if you are scanning in Home or Professional Mode. The File Save Settings window appears. Select JPEG or TIFF as the Type setting, then click Options. (If you started Epson Scan from a program like Adobe Photoshop Elements, this button does not appear.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
I'm scanning photos using an Epson v500. My 'Working Space' is Adobe RGB (1998). The scans are coming out with an embedded profile of sRGB 1966-2.1. I'm wondering if it is possible to get scans that have an embedded profile of Adobe RGB using this scanner or do consumer grade scanners only have an embedded profile of sRGB? Do professional scanners have an embedded profile of RGB?

The original photos themselves don't have a very broad color pallet so it doesn't really matter for this project and I am mostly just curious.

Thanks a lot.
It's only significant if the intersection of the gamut achievable by the scanner and the gamut of the transparency with the scanner illuminant has any points that fall outside sRGB. Otherwise there won't be any meaningful difference. It's worth noting. I can't find a solid source of information on this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2015, 04:25 PM

Thank you Tony. I don't really like the Epson Scan software and would rather not use it as I find it a little buggy and the interface is a little confusing. I see where you can embed a profile using Epson Scan but it is impossible to turn off auto exposure level?

I would rather import the scans using photoshop cc15, File>Import>Images from Devices. But it looks like in photoshop it is not possible to choose an embedded profile when performing the scan and I notice that the scans have an embedded profile of sRGB that I did not choose when I am saving the file.

Question: Is it impossible to scan directly in photoshop and not have a resulting embedded profile of sRGB unless you convert to a different profile after scanning?

Last edited by Caravaggio; 07-10-2015 at 05:02 PM. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Patron

Quote:
Thank you Tony. I don't really like the Epson Scan software and would rather not use it as I find it a little buggy and the interface is a little confusing. I see where you can embed a profile using Epson Scan but it is impossible to turn off auto exposure level?
Interesting, I have used Vuescan, Silverfast and found them to be very good. I also have no problems with Epson app. I am a little lost why you should not be able to turn off auto exposure level - have to say it's been a while since I last scanned. I usually scan in Pro. mode, preview scan first, adjust histogram as needed and save as TIFF 48 bit. I save the scan usually with an embedded profile Prophoto RGB or Adobe RGB - I am pretty sure even this entry level scanner capable of exceeding sRGB and some film types similarly capable exceeding this

Quote:
I would rather import the scans using photoshop cc15, File>Import>Images from Devices. But it looks like in photoshop it is not possible to choose an embedded profile when performing the scan and I notice that the scans have an embedded profile of sRGB I did not choose when I am saving the file.

Question: Is it impossible to scan in photoshop and not end up with an embedded profile of sRGB unless you convert the profile to RGB after scanning?
I really cannot offer anything helpful here as I have not bothered scanning in PS CS6 due to feeling that a dedicated app should be able to extract the best data directly from the scanner
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2015, 05:52 PM

I'll try out Vuescan or Silverfast and see whether I like them better. Thanks for mentioning as I wasn't aware other software for scanning existed.

In epson scan, I've been scanning in professional mode, increasing dpi to 1200 and saving as a tiff 24 bit. Should I be saving as 48 bit if want more data and better quality?

I haven't been adjusting the histogram inside epson scangear - I was doing that in photoshop only because I like working in photoshop more and I figured it didn't make a difference at what stage in the process the histogram was adjusted.

The Auto Exposure level inside scangear is a slider that slides from low to high but can't be turned off as far as I can see even if one is working in Professional Mode.

I've talked to Epson's not extremely knowledgeable tech support and they have told me that autoexposure can't be turned off. I also found that the unsharp mask sometimes will check itself even after I had unchecked it.

Last edited by Caravaggio; 07-10-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:

In epson scan, I've been scanning in professional mode, increasing dpi to 1200 and saving as a tiff 24 bit. Should I be saving as 48 bit if want more data and better quality?
It won't change much of anything. If you adjust the image in photoshop, adjustments made at 16 bits per channel tend to distribute values closer together. The gamut boundaries are the same, but it's more densely populated. It doesn't matter what you export. The CCDs used in scanners of that quality aren't sufficient to digitize much if anything beyond what can be reconstructed at 8 bits per channel. You're overthinking some of those points a bit.

I last used Silverfast in 2004 or 2005. They had decent controls for scanning negatives, but the software is expensive. It won't improve sharpness, so be aware of that. The same goes for the other. That's a hardware issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2015, 12:09 AM

Thank you klev for the information and for reassuring me that it doesn't make much difference what I export, given the insufficient quality of the scanner. The originals are small casual snapshots taken with a point and shoot so there is not much in the way of subtle color variations and tonal transitions to preserve anyhow.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware