Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Help!!! My pictures are missing

Old 09-01-2001, 10:18 PM
Marni. You left us hanging. How did this situation work out?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2001, 10:41 PM

I really don't know what suggestion to give you with this particular problem. But what I HAVE suggested in the past is this:

You can go ahead and burn your information onto CD's, but also TEST the cd on another machine to see that it wrote on there properly before taking it off the Hard Drive.

Since CD's are so cheap, if you make changes, just go ahead and burn your new information onto new CD's.

The way *I* do it is this way:

I name the CD Volume as that day's date, and name the files appropriately.
I go ahead and do the work, drag and drop the information onto the CD. (Then I grab a beer and watch the Astros)

I then (grab a beer) and look at the CD and check to see if the information is actually there.

Go to another one of my machines and test the CD on that one (and sometimes upload it to my server), whereupon, I grab another beer.

You cannot believe how often I tell users that they must back up a back up.
But then again, I'm rather anal about these kind of measures since I've dealt with people that had catastrophic data loss and in a business, that be very costly.

<tosses two pennies on the table and grabs a beer>
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2001, 11:08 PM
Sorry I forgot about replying!!! Bad girl!! anyway, no, data STILL missing, BUT I found it lurking on my hard drive and I think I am having a senior moment (although I am not a senior)!!! I might be having hallucinations, I really am not sure, but viola.......there were the files. I IMMEDIATELY burned them onto a CD (Not a CDRW). Interesting thought, I saw on some web site something about never leaving a disc in the drive when you shut off the computer. It said that the CD writes some finishing information before ejecting, so maybe that is what happened. I know that I am technically challenged BIG TIME!! LOL LOL. Anyway, I learned my lesson about CDRW. Use the CD media and data loss will be at a minimum (I think). Thanks to all who responded.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware