RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Laptop Close to monitors like Eizo

Old 04-17-2017, 06:31 PM

Re: Laptop Close to monitors like Eizo

Well at least the new MBP display is wide gamut (DCI-P3) and the entire OS and associated applications are color managed. I’ve got one, nice but it’s nothing like my NEC PA272W in terms of a high end color reference display, similar to Eizo. No laptop is!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2017, 04:50 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Well gpu acceleration made its way into photoshop around CS5. CS4 merely added opengl rendering. Adobe went the OpenCL route at a time when that framework was still stabilizing, whereas a lot of professional applications went with CUDA. It was more stable and had NVidia's backing. They have since written a lot of stuff for it, much of which is machine learning focused (neural networks toolkits and other stuff that keeps popping up in tech news).

Lightroom didn't use any of this for the first several iterations, and at this point I'm not sure they have a reasonable plan/path to change that. We don't have any way of knowing what their internal architecture looks like or how it's laid out. GPUs are also quite annoying in some ways. They offer efficient parallel operations, but they typically have a high dispatch cost required to launch a particular kernel.

I am of course speculating on this, but I don't think the gpu will be a great factor for real photoshop use. It matters more for 3D modeling, especially if you have a high polygon count. It was easy to choke any notebook gpu the last time I touched that, which was a while ago.
At last a well reasoned post.

My understanding of the basic Adobe requirements for efficient workflow is:

Accelerated GPU features using the Mercury Graphics Engine from CS6 (I think!) using both OpenGl and OpenCL framework. Compatible cards tested and listed by Adobe should offer all the GPU accelerated features below:

Camera Raw, Image Size, Select Focus, Perspective Warp, Liquify, Adaptive Wide Angle filter, plus?. These also use GPU acceleration via OpenCL, Blur Gallery, Smart Sharpen, Select and Mask.

Lightroom has its own minimum requirements and from CC/LR6 with 64 bit OS and OpenGL 3.3 and above. 1 GB of VRAM to 2 GB of VRAM suggested minimum (the latter for 4K monitors). From memory LR had issues with some cards (or probably more precisely the drivers) seemingly mostly those from AMD. In any case users were reporting that they had to switch off graphics acceleration other than suffer either complete failure or major slow down.

PS 3D features will not work if your graphics card is not supported or its driver is defective

Neither PS or LR use NVIDIA CUDA pipeline. I have seen suggestions that Illustrator does but never seen any evidence stating that CUDA involved, with NVIDIA just stating "NV Path Rendering, implemented as an extension to OpenGL, an open standard for graphics performance"

I can only imagine that Adobe did not want to get drawn into a less than open standard which at least on the face of it is the NVIDIA CUDA route.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2017, 05:04 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Well at least the new MBP display is wide gamut (DCI-P3) and the entire OS and associated applications are color managed. I’ve got one, nice but it’s nothing like my NEC PA272W in terms of a high end color reference display, similar to Eizo. No laptop is!
The fact that Apple seems to have its act together on colour management is certainly a plus.

As a pretty much dyed in the wool Windows user I just cannot understand what MS are playing at. Their latest incarnation W10 actually taken one step backwards by introducing/replacing Windows Photo Viewer (a colour managed application in Win 7 and 8) with an app. called Photos which is not colour managed and has caused the tearing of hair and the rending of garments in certain quarters.

Perhaps even worse is the fact that the old Windows Photo Viewer can be revived in W10, BUT - you loose colour management which was within the original Win7-8 version, unless you have upgraded from these. Therefore a clean install of W10 requires a registry hack to bring back Windows Photo Viewer into the colour management fold - go figure

IMO it is past time that MS should have implemented a better colour management rather than relying on others to include in their applications.

Last edited by Tony W; 04-18-2017 at 08:47 AM. Reason: dyed not died
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
At last a well reasoned post.

My understanding of the basic Adobe requirements for efficient workflow is:

Accelerated GPU features using the Mercury Graphics Engine from CS6 (I think!) using both OpenGl and OpenCL framework. Compatible cards tested and listed by Adobe should offer all the GPU accelerated features below:

Camera Raw, Image Size, Select Focus, Perspective Warp, Liquify, Adaptive Wide Angle filter, plus?. These also use GPU acceleration via OpenCL, Blur Gallery, Smart Sharpen, Select and Mask.
That sounds right. I noticed a difference with Liquify. Some stuff like iris blur is really painful without it, but I didn't find a lot of difference between gpus. Most of these operations were near instant on the gpu, so going to a stronger one wouldn't make much difference in cases where I am already running code via the gpu rather than the cpu. In my (very limited) experience in this area, gpus are good when you have a lot of math with minimal branching. It's a lot like programming with vector extensions like AVX, although you don't have to worry about memory address alignment.

Quote:
Lightroom has its own minimum requirements and from CC/LR6 with 64 bit OS and OpenGL 3.3 and above. 1 GB of VRAM to 2 GB of VRAM suggested minimum (the latter for 4K monitors). From memory LR had issues with some cards (or probably more precisely the drivers) seemingly mostly those from AMD. In any case users were reporting that they had to switch off graphics acceleration other than suffer either complete failure or major slow down.
Yeah I saw this. I have read complaints that it runs slower with gpu acceleration enabled, which is technically possible. GPU programming is asynchronous. You set something up and basically push it off to another piece of hardware, and there's a significant cost to do so. I imagine that addressing each file separately can become an issue.

Quote:
PS 3D features will not work if your graphics card is not supported or its driver is defective
I've never used it. It didn't look that great or very useful, even compared to something like Blender. I could be wrong.

Quote:
Neither PS or LR use NVIDIA CUDA pipeline. I have seen suggestions that Illustrator does but never seen any evidence stating that CUDA involved, with NVIDIA just stating "NV Path Rendering, implemented as an extension to OpenGL, an open standard for graphics performance"

I can only imagine that Adobe did not want to get drawn into a less than open standard which at least on the face of it is the NVIDIA CUDA route.
The last time I checked, Adobe didn't claim illustrator used any kind of GPU acceleration, and I wouldn't worry too much about undocumented results. If they add something silently, it's not possible to know whether it will really stay.

Adobe did incorporate some of NVidia's technology into After Effects some time ago. As I recall Premiere used it for a little while as well. OpenCL is obviously more universal, but it took a long time to become really practical.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2017, 10:39 PM

I have an ASUS ROG laptop, and its screen is BEAUTIFUL.

The whole laptop is beautiful, in fact. I've had it for many years, and it's still going strong. Whenever it eventually dies, I'll definitely be getting another.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2017, 10:28 PM

Thankyou folks. This helps me to an extent but still not completely convinced . A lot of research leads me to believe that Asus UX501VW and Dell XPS 15 9550 seem good enough for editing and stuff as they offer close to 100 percent Adobe RGB but sadly both of these models are not available here in India. Macbooks are good but certainly the configs are not worth the price. Someone told me that macbooks even with such low configs are faster than others. Is that true. ?

Asus ROG GL553VE is what am planning to go for coz that I feel would atleast give me the speed if not 100 percent close to the display I want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo77 View Post
I have an ASUS ROG laptop, and its screen is BEAUTIFUL.

The whole laptop is beautiful, in fact. I've had it for many years, and it's still going strong. Whenever it eventually dies, I'll definitely be getting another.
But ROG series is just launched right. How come you have it for these many years ?

Last edited by manishbjain; 04-26-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2017, 02:38 AM

No, not just launched. It has been around for quite a while.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware