RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Hard drive problem - I think?

Old 10-01-2002, 09:41 PM

Nick,

I'm not trying to argue - just trying to understand...

I don't understand why it's best to have the two drives with the same file system. I wanted to run NTFS for my main drive because from everything I've read, it is supposed to have better reliability. But, I kept my second drive as FAT32 so that I can share files with my husband's networked computer - he's still running W98SE, thus can't read an NTFS volume. Am I compromising the reliability of the NTFS drive by running a FAT32 drive with it?

I'm a fairly technical person, so I like to understand the underlying reasons why someone suggests something - or pointers to go read for myself. I understood everything in the link you provided, but it didn't address having two drives with/without the same file system.

Thanks, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2002, 10:40 PM

Jeanie,

Sorry to jump in so late on the thread! I agree with Doug that this is not going to be a hard drive problem. One question ... have you installed service pack 3 for your Win2k system?

If so, did the problems start after this install and if not, you should consider this OS upgrade. The upgrades include numerous compatability enhancements which often times resolves the mysterious file problems. I too had a similar problem when I used to use Win2k and service pack 1 resolved my issues. I've happily moved on to Win XP since then.

As for NTFS, use it where you can! It is much more reliable than the FAT32 based systems.

Randy
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2002, 11:28 PM

Randy - It's not too late to jump in, since I won't be doing anything on my system until next week.

Interesting that you should mention Service Pack 3. When I was searching through the Microsoft Knowledge Base (or whatever they call it) for "explorer.exe" - 90% of the problems with explorer.exe had to do with W2K and Service Pack 3. As it turns out, I have Service Pack 2 (and all available updates since then as far as I know - except for Service Pack 3.) After reading all of the trouble with Service Pack 3 and explorer.exe, I was pretty sure I didn't want to upgrade to that service pack - esp. when the "resolution" to some of the problems was to go back to Service Pack 2!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2002, 01:25 AM

Well, that truly is interesting. My final suggestion was going to involve dumping Norton Systemworks (which it sounds like you are using). When I had my probelms, that was the other fix I tried. Dumped systemworks and went back to simply using Norton Anti-virus. So it was either the service pack upgrade or dumping systemworks that seemed to fix my problem.

Anytime I have tried to use the full systemworks package I have had problems.

Good luck and I hope you find your fix!

Randy
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2002, 04:42 AM

Jeanie,
If you are starting from scratch then maybe the program Notron Ghost might be worth your while looking into. I use it and find it a quick and easy way to restore a good windows partician over a bad one. ( as long as theat partician doesn't have bad sectors - but you can't be that unluckly twice - start sacrificing spiders as well - If everyone just sacrificed one I wouldn't have the **** scared out of me everytime I met one!).
Ghost is a good program but can be very distructive. So long as you know which drive number you want to replace and make sure your partician titles are not simlar then you should be okay. Read the manual - I have wiped data with this once before. If you are starting from scrath then you have the oppertunity to play with the program without loosing any data- thats why I mentioned it here.

Chris H,
I notice you are another brit and that you have mentioned the 'what do you get in the box?' I don't know whether this is the same in the states as it is in England but there are two types of drive you can pick up here.
OEM and Retail they both contain the same drive but the OEM does not come with the leads drivers etc, and is there fore cheaper, than the retail that comes with all the leads etc. The idea is that if you are replacing a drive or building a computer you probably already have all the leads so why pay for more.
Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2002, 05:19 AM

Clare, Understood on OEM, I usually buy from Dabs or Scan and everything I get from them is OEM but was interested to see what comes in a full retail pack. Of course all the disc utils are on the home site anyway. There is some variance with other products such as scanners and what is supplied with them on either side of the pond, if you buy an Epson 2450 in the US you get silverfast which is not supplied over here. I must say I'd rather pay less for OEM than accumulate cables!!

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2002, 09:55 AM

Clare - I've got plenty of spiders in my house that I can use as a sacrifice.

Thanks for the tip on Norton Ghost. I'll look into it.

Randy, when you say "dump" Norton SystemWorks, I know I've heard others say that before, but as far as I know, I don't have anything running constantly except Anti-Virus - and only run Utilities when I notice a problem, then run the diagnostics. Are you saying that the diagnostics can cause more problems? Or is it just the way it is installed that screws up the system - whether the programs are actually running or not?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2002, 12:55 AM

It's in the install. Systemworks sneaks into all areas of your system and even though you may not actually be running a certain facet of the program, it is running and scanning information for you in the background.

The only way to avoid this is to do a clean install, then install the retail version of Anti-Virus (do not do a custom install from systemworks and only select anti-virus to install).

Even in a custom install, you still get the primary systemworks components installed "just in case" you decide to add additional components or diagnostics at a later time.

Systemworks and Windows have never played nice together in joyous harmony!

Randy
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2002, 11:14 AM

Thanks Randy. That makes sense.
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2002, 12:12 PM

J,

I'll second the Norton Ghost recommendation, it is a definite bacon saver!

Cheers...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware