RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

A photographic breakthough ! The X3 chip

Old 12-30-2002, 03:35 PM

I'd been hearing about this but I never saw samples before. Now I have, thanks to the link that CJ posted.

Pretty amazing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2002, 03:43 PM

Wow Clare!! I'm anxiously awaiting example images! (If you have the time, I'd be really interested in seeing comparisons between your "old" digital camera (assuming you have one) and the SD9.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2002, 05:01 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Good for you Clare. I'm hoping you will find that there is a great deal of difference. I recently read a review in a PC magazine, and it was not generating the positive remarks I was hoping for. While the article did say it was an improvement, it was not the huge difference expected. I'm hoping your opinion is more positive.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2002, 07:53 PM

Those arre great photos.

A couple of great 'retouch" examples there also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2002, 04:20 AM

My first impressions of this camera are good. The body is well made and the dials and buttons are very accessable - I hate nothing more than having to grow an extra pair of hands and eyes just to beable to comfortably use a camera!

My comparision will be against my current digital camera, which is a Casio EX3000EX/Ir (which I have had fantastic results on!) The casio is :
3.3 mega pixel
Canon lens
Compact Flash 1+2
More details if you want them above is the general idea....

At the moment I have not got the correct lens for the camera and am making do with a standard 28-85mm lens which is on loan from the shop until my lens turns up. I was hoping this would be today but no luck there - just have to wait. In the mean time I will just get used to using a SLR again.

Up to now I have just been playing with the camera - I have had good results with skin tones and as the camera has a white ballance adjuster, there should be no problems there. It comes with 7 automatic settings for the white ballance - but the manual over ride is very acurate (Sigma 1 v Casio 0)

More later
Clare

This is probably where I will write things as I find them out - at the end of my play time and when I have the right lens I will write the review ..... is this okay with everyone or would you just like the review?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2002, 09:27 AM

Heres some of the first images to come out of my SD9. Its so cold outside at the moment I froze while taking this bunch, I am suprized any are infocus as I was shivering - the sacrifices we make to play with new toys!

My first image is of a wall. There is no manipulation other than resizing so it doesn't take hours to down load. I think the results are quite good but am hoping that the new lens will improve the overall sharpness of the images. Through out the day I tried to shoot a variety of images (unfortunatly there isn't much colour about today - overcast and winter!) I will post more later as I resize them.

Clare
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sd9-example-wall.jpg (65.6 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2002, 09:36 AM

Here's another - chose this building for the brick detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sd9-example-building.jpg (76.8 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2002, 09:39 AM

I have just realised I took all of todays images with the ISO set to 400 - excuse me while I slam my head against my desk!!!

I am so used to the Casio which doesn't have half of these settings and cameras that use DX coding - I will have to make myself a check list

Bang....Bang.....Bang.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2002, 09:50 AM

This is the most colourful item I could find!

One thing that I have noticed is that the software that comes with the camera produces a better image than photoshop - I have yet to work out why this is, but it could be the colour setup that is different between the two programs.

Is this the type of details people want? Ask any specific questions if you want to - I will try and answer them.

Clare
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sd9-example-totem.jpg (54.5 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2002, 10:06 AM

Clare;

Thanks for the info and pics. Could you post; One subject, two pics, one from each camera at same spot? If possible, so as to get a better idea of the diferences.

Thanks;
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware