RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

A photographic breakthough ! The X3 chip

Old 12-31-2002, 10:20 AM

No problem - I will take them both out on my next shoot - hopefully tomorrow if the weather is good and I am not to hung over from the New year booze!

This is my last image from today - its another detail shot.....

Happy New Year to all,

Clare
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sd9-example-leaf.jpg (47.1 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2002, 01:55 PM

Clare, as to posting here as you find things out about the SD9 vs. waiting for a review - I vote for posting here as you find them. Yes, we'd still like the review, but hopefully the things you post here will make it easier for you to write the review in the end.

I also vote for side-by-side comparisons of the Casio and SD9. I understand the lack of color at this time of the year! Perhaps at a greenhouse?

Thanks for the info so far. I'm reading all with interest!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2002, 03:28 PM

Thanks Jeanie,
I will continue posting here - I have begun my review but have no idea when it will be ready!!! - this thread will definately help
Must remember to spell check it

If there is a specific image that I really like I will post it in the gallery - I am sure you will all know which one's they are

One thing that I am really impressed with is the colours it reproduces - I can't get over how realistic they are, yet they don't have that overly digital unrealistic look to them. - you can almost touch them...... am I making sence?

Take Care - Keep safe - Happy new year

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2002, 04:29 PM

I too am interested in Clare's first impressions, seems like an interesting toy to have. For those that want to learn a little more in the meantime it can be found at this link

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd9/
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2002, 04:56 PM

Clare - I know what you mean about colors. I'm especially aware of that when friends send me pictures of their kids. I don't know how to describe it, but I can always tell the pictures were taken with a digital camera. Perhaps it's just that they are amateur snapshots and they don't know how to set the white point correctly.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2002, 07:24 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
One more vote for a side by side comparison. I don't know about anyone else, but I found the 400 ISO setting to be pretty impressive, especially on the cropped areas! Of course the slower ones were great too.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2002, 10:31 PM

This has turned into quite a thread. Nice stuff Clare, can't wait to see more. I hope this foveon sensor catches on in a big way. This is the begining of the end for film cameras. This first sensor is only 3.x megapixels. Wait until the 6 megapixel sensor is released. There will be new ground in image capturing made there.

Happy New Year everyone, it's just still 10:30 PM here is Louisiana on the 31st.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 07:45 AM

It's raining outside today and being new years day most places are shut so I am reviewing my images from yesterday.

One of the interesting points that I have found today is that the images have a close resemblance to film cameras. I have included another attachment here that I hope illustrates what I mean. Obviously when you enlarge the image but a stupid magnification you will see the individual pixels - but at a sensible magnification about 1:1 or slightly larger the images seem to have grain. This is probably to do with the 3 layers that the X3 captures. What do you think?

Clare
Attached Images
File Type: jpg film-grain.jpg (76.2 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 10:58 AM

Hi Clare. Are you sure that you are shooting at 100 ASA? Was there enough light on the subject? The images seem to have too much grain (noise) for 110% magnification. My only basis for compareson is one of my 3.4 MP images from my Nikon. Try another test shot with a well lit composure. I am no expert so my opinion may not be correct but I think you should not have that much grain in that image.

Last edited by KevinBE; 01-01-2003 at 11:07 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 11:08 AM

Hi KevinBE,

These are at 400 ASA/ISO, I forgot to change the ASA after experimenting with the camera in doors - one of those new digital settings I will have to remember to reset after a shoot!!!

I am hoping the grain to be better on my next test shoot which I will do at 100ASA - If I remember.....

Clare

The cabbage image that I used as my comparison was a cross processed film image - but I thought it showed grain well for people who wanted a comparisson.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware