RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

A photographic breakthough ! The X3 chip

Old 01-01-2003, 11:14 AM

Kevin,

Is there any chance you can post some results from your Nikon camera as a comparison? What Nikon is it? Is it an SLR? - If it is I would be very interested in the results you have had.

Thanks
Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 05:20 PM

Hi Clare, that ASA400 explains a lot. That is a very good image for that speed.

My camera is just a Nikon CP-995. I have an SLR on my wish list but it looks like there have been other items with higher priority lately. Maybe if my business turns out to be a viable enterprise I could justify one as a business expense.

What type of image would you want? It will probably pale in contrast to your new SD9.

Last edited by KevinBE; 01-03-2003 at 05:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2003, 08:00 AM

Hi Kevin,

A good comparision image would be anything with detail and preferably some colour, or difficult to reproduce detail. Please don't forget to give us some background info on your camera. How many pixels etc.

The weather here was sunny for a change this morning so I grabed my cameras and headed out for a nother photo session. I have hopefully got some comparison images between the SD9 and the casio. I will post these as soon a I reconect the Casio to my computer! ( My compact flash reader has died - so I will have to look for the original drivers....)

In the mean time I thought I would post you another example from the SD9. This is a 100ASA (I remembered!) image. The grain is definately better than the 400ASA examples.

Clare
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sd9-example-lock.jpg (60.6 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2003, 12:07 PM

Well I finally got my drivers working - that only took a few hours!!!

Here are the first comparison photos.

The casio image is smaller than the one from the sigma. I think the first thing I saw was that the clarity of the colours seem to be better on the sigma. The blues and the reds seem to me to be clear with a good tonal range. The casio's in comparison look to be a little bit washed out. The depth of field on the casio is better than the SD9. I don't know whether this is because of the sensor or the difference between SLR and compact design. I like to have the choice that the depth of field from the sigma gives, but there is something quite nice about the casio's DOF.

It was very bizarre swaping between the two cameras today - they are so different. Both of these cameras are very good and I still love the simplicity of the use of the casio. With the Casio you are able to take the images from the view on the LCD screen - which I find to be the best way other wise you tend to get a bit of parallax error, which is very evident in macro work. The sigma on the other hand only lets you take the image through the view finder, and allows you to preview the image after the exposure.

So here is the first image - please post what your reactions are - I am very interested in all of your opinions. Which image do you prefer?

Clare
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comparison.jpg (79.6 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2003, 07:50 PM

I don't know how scientific this is but here is what I have put together. The images are from my Nikon CP-995 taken at 3.4 Megapixel. I displayed these images in photoshop at the full image size, 1536 X 2048 Pixels. I then took a screen shot of a section of the image and cropped it to a managable size. I then zoomed in at 200% in photoshop and took another screen shot and cropped near the same area as the first shot. This is alien to me so if I need to do this differently then let me know and I will make another attempt.

Here is the first image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg combined image.jpg (98.0 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2003, 07:51 PM

Here is the second image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg combined image 2.jpg (82.3 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2003, 12:07 AM

Clare, I like the SD9 better - though the sky looks a slightly lavender to me. I wasn't there, so I'm not sure what the correct sky color is, but the Casio sky looks more like Colorado skies. However, I agree that the Casio image appears a bit washed out. Also, the tonal variations don't seem to be as "smooth" with the Casio.

I'm assuming you could change the depth of field on the SD9 with aperture priority? But, there's no DOF preview, correct?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2003, 12:14 AM

Thanks for your images Kevin. The first one seems a little underexposed (at least the section you cropped) and when I lighten it, there is definite grain showing. The second one has very little grain though - and looks to be better exposed. How do the colors compare to what you saw when you were taking the photos?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2003, 09:55 AM

Hi Jeanie, those pictures were not modified in PS at all. I wanted to show the images just as the camera captured them. One bad trait of most digital cameras is that most images will need some tonal correction. The second image was much better tonally right out of the camera. The colors were dead on though, the color balance was working just right.

The first image did include some sections with a lot of shadows. Another weakness of digital cameras is in shadow detail. That is why I chose that image. Also the DOF was very shallow on both images.

Clare, the SD9 pictures seem to contain a lot more dynamic range in the colors. It is very obvious which camera took which picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2003, 10:49 AM

Here are links to view the originals:

http://www.pbase.com/image/10193633

http://www.pbase.com/image/10193902
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware