RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

A photographic breakthough ! The X3 chip

Old 01-04-2003, 12:49 PM

That is a lot better than trying to compare to my little camera. Phil does a good job in his reviews.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2003, 07:17 AM

Hi all,

Chuck, thanks for that link - very interesting. I tried to read as many reviews as possible before deciding on this camera, but you always miss one out. This has also given me a better insight into the results from the other SLR camera on the market.

Kevin, thanks for posting some comparison images from your Nikon camera. They compare well with the Casio results that I have experienced.

Jeanie, The SD9 does have a DOF preview button. The DOF was so good on the casio I kind of got used to letting it take over....opps! I am pleased to be back with the SLR camera gang, I feel more like its me taking and making the shot rather than letting the camera take over - I love manual cameras The sky does seem to be a little bit lavender, I am going to try a UV filter to overcome this. I'll tell you how it goes.

I have also noticed that the camera does sometimes over do the highlight areas, as the review that Chuck gave found. I am going to have to be very careful to make my exposures correct. I am hoping this is a software issue.

I have just found out that my Sigma lens that was ordered with the camera will not arrive for another 2 weeks, which is a bit disapointing. I was really hoping to get hold of it to compare the two lens. As the one on order is specifically for the digital camera, and the one I am currently using is a normal 35mm camera lens - although it does have quite a nice macro on it.

All for now, I am off to try and locate that UV filter....

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2003, 05:43 PM

I've just posted another image to the gallery from the SD9. It was taken at 100ASA and I was after a delicate look to the image. I am not a botanist so its just called flower!!!

Still haven't got my lens, but I bought a UV filter (had them all as 49's but none as 55's!) I will go and photograph the building again and see what the sky looks like..... here we wait for good weather......

Hope you like the new image

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2003, 09:01 AM

Talking

Hello folks,

I have just added a review for the Sigma SD9, thanks Doug for the input.

http://www.retouchpro.com/reviews/ce...username=Clare

If I have left out anything then please ask and I'll edit it to include your question

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2003, 09:35 AM

Some time ago I had tried their demo. It was pretty good. I feel it's a contender. Now if the heavyweights(Kodak,Nikon,ect.) can use this technology(X3) for their own. And design some good software for it as well.
This will most liikely be decided on how the SD9 sells at a consumer level.
Let's get ready to rumble!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2003, 06:45 AM

Hi Chuck,

Things have been a little bit hectic here what with the new site and trying to do a big advertising drive. The camera is fantastic, and although I have had a bit of dust on the sensor (I had to buy the largest blower brush I could find to remove it) I have had few problems with the quality of the images or the techniqual camera stuff.

I have added 3 new pages for the floral library on my site, these were all taken with the SD9. The only shoots in the floral gallery that were taken with the casio are the gerbras on page 2 and the lilies on page 3. If you would like to see any of these in more detail just give us a shout and I'll post something larger.

I have been mainly using the SD9 in a studio environment and although I have taken it on location once haven't got anything new to show. (unfortunately the lens is a bit too heavy for me to hand hold the camera and I did not have a tripod on me on the location shoot ) I am hopefully going to go and shoot some more Thames at night images for the Landscape gallery this week, so there mights be some more shoots later.

Your grandson must be very happy with the cannon I look forward to your comments on your new camera If there are any specific shots you would like for a comparison, give us a shout and I will see what I can do.

Hope you are enjoying your new camera
Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2003, 10:18 AM

I would like to see some images from sigma using the x3 chip. To see how sigma adapted to the x3. You can put a link up to your web page and place your images(orginals) up, in jpg, setting of 12(least compressed)...... So Mr. Nelsons' server does not get bogged down.

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2003, 12:31 PM

Thank you for the link. I had checked(dp review) that out one time before. I think there were different examples though. I am one that likes' unbias reviews(and examples) for equipment. This is not to say, dp review is biased. I mean to say "real world examples" . Example: When I went to purchase a scanner(flat bed) from a store, they always have those"professionally" shot pictures of cars and whatnot, they scan. Flat lit. No major shadowing, going on..........Just so happen. At the time, I had a picture my kid shot, to test.........I found out. That he stills needs practice...... I like to test, an "average Joes' " type of picture. To look not at the scanning of the highlights or even the midtones. But the shadow areas of the scan. And the above holds(for me) for printers(inkjets and dye-subs) as well, when printing.
Those "professional photographers" can make any piece of equipment look good, even for those shadow areas.

John
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware