RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Computer restarts in an average day?

View Poll Results: Number of computer restarts in an average day?
Seldom to Never...(or, "Never, because I own a Mac!") 141 73.82%
1 time 22 11.52%
2 times 14 7.33%
3 times 7 3.66%
4 times 4 2.09%
5 + (my computer hates me!) 3 1.57%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2002, 01:39 PM

Interesting question. I haven't given lockups and restarts much thought lately. I have two Macs - an iMac desktop and an iBook laptop. I run OS9.2 on the iMac and OSX on the laptop.

The iMac which is my workhorse computer rarely has a problem. Any lock-ups I've seen lately have been on web pages. I've never tried to figure out what the problem is - if a page locks up the browser, it doesn't get a second chance.

I don't use the laptop very much, so can't speak for the reliability of OSX. The problems I've had with it are related to the so-called "classic" environment.

When you consider the millions of lines of code in any operating system, it's a miracle that they work as reliably as they do.

Take care,
Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2002, 01:43 PM

Well, that seldom option seems kind of prejudiced to Macs. I don't have a Mac but since I went to XP I hardly ever need to restart. I do loose my optical mouse on rare occaisions for no apparent reason but my pen still works to restart. But that's basically the only trouble I get.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2002, 02:32 PM

Hi DJ, I had a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer and it would freeze frequently, causing me to reboot (actually several reboots to get it back each time)

Then out of frustration one day, I unplugged the darn mouse and swapped in a different one. The second mouse worked so I tried the MS mouse again and it worked. The solution - when the intellimouse froze after that, I unplugged it and plugged it back in again without rebooting and it always came back.

No longer have that particular problem - new computer, new mouse, new graphire tablet - all works nicely together.

Take care,
Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2002, 02:38 PM

Mine's an IBM but I suspect they're all the same. I'll have to give that a try Margaret. Thanks. Now all I have to do is find out where exactly in this mass of wires it's located. We have 3 computers, 3 printers, 2 scanners and numerous other goodies plugged onto hubs and ports etc. It's a hardwired mess of confusion. However a few moments to trace the end sounds like a lot less hastle to do than reboot each time. Actually, I didn't know you could do that.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2002, 03:39 PM

DJ, you can unplug it if it's a USB connection - I should have mentioned that. If it's not a USB connection, don't unplug it while the computer is running.

Take care,
Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2002, 04:45 PM

I voted for 1 restart daily, but there are often days that I don't have even one, only to be followed by days requiring several. I am still running Win98SE, but am at least considering XP now due to so many folks having good luck with it (except Angue, of course).

I LOVE USB connections -- to me, that is one of the best inventions ever -- to be able to disconnect/reconnect without computer shutdown is just so ... what is the word?... oh, yes --sensible!

P.S. I have an IMAC that I haven't used in over a year -- but it hates me. Macs aren't supposed to give you problems, but mine would hang up on me several times a day -- just because I had changed from early Apples to PCs.

(not starting a Mac vs PC discussion -- just whining!)

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 10-12-2002 at 04:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2002, 05:27 PM

Funny I should stumble on this thread after restarting from a crash. I have been having problems with my box since the upgrade I did a few weeks ago. Only problem is I did many things at once and it may take time to determine which one is the culprit. I installed an AMD athlon XP 2100, upgraded the ram to 1 Gig, replaced my case, installed an Gforce4 Ti-4200 video board,and upgraded to Photoshop 7. My problems come after working in PS7 for an hour or so with large images. I may be forced to stop and restart after about an hour or so because PS may not be releasing the ram after I switch between images.

This has only happened about 3 times in as many weeks so the problem is not a bad one. The thing is XP is not supposed to crash, right? I think the problem is either the 512 Meg ram Dimm or PS7 is having problems.

Oh well here is my contribution to the thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2002, 06:06 PM

I consider myself very lucky.Running Windows XP for seven months on a new P4 1.8, 512 ram, PS6 and PS7.Have only locked up twice on the same older game that I later found out has problems with USB controllers. I only shut down if storms are around or out of town and reboot after installing new programs.
XP is by far the most stable OS I've been around (I work around Macs at work )
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2002, 06:37 PM

Wow...the results so far are not what I expected. It really seems that XP is as stable as Microsoft claims....maybe I should upgrade! I will say this- I push my computer very hard. Most of the files I work on run between 150 - 300mb...add to that having music playing in the background, Dreamweaver open, etc... I suppose that is a recipe for having to restart more often than most.

CJ - I have always liked Macs and used them at several jobs...but in my opinion the imac is garbage. Cramming all that hardware into a little space with no fan was not a good design idea...it might look cute, but I have never had as many problems with a computer than when I owned my imac.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2002, 07:39 PM

wow you guys have convinced me I'm going to upgrade to XP. I usually have to restart several times a day sometimes but other days I can manage a whole day without a restart.
when upgrading to XP are there anythings I should look out for?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware