Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Computer restarts in an average day?

View Poll Results: Number of computer restarts in an average day?
Seldom to Never...(or, "Never, because I own a Mac!") 141 73.82%
1 time 22 11.52%
2 times 14 7.33%
3 times 7 3.66%
4 times 4 2.09%
5 + (my computer hates me!) 3 1.57%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2002, 06:43 PM
I occasionaly reboot to clear the system resources and ram cache etc.. but XP seems solid as a rock and believe me when I say I abuse it horribly
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2002, 06:55 PM
Sanda, one of the main probems I hear about XP is with drivers for older printers,scanners and drives,or upgradeing from another OS instead of a clean install. Mine came on a new computer but the tips I learned here on RP (from Ed I think ) about getting and installing new drivers for my 1270 printer and two scanners before installing the hardware made my installations go very smoth.

BTW Thanks Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2002, 07:27 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Yer welcome.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Sandra I don't know what system you currently have but I recommend that you plan on a new load of XP and not an upgrade. One easy approach, unless you already have a second drive, is to buy a new hard drive and install XP from scratch on the new drive and add your existing hard drive as a second drive. This will preserve your existing data and make photoshop real happy because you can give it a seperate drive for a scratch disk. Also its a good fall-back in case of problems in the XP load.

Also like Roger mentioned, do your homework and have current drivers for all your existing hardware. XP will probably have drivers for most of your hardware but it is a good thing to have the newest drivers and install them after the initial load. XP is very stable as long as there are no problems with device drivers and/or hardware settings. Old software can sometimes be a problem but there are usually ways around them. XP as a general rule will not like DOS and other legacy software programs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2002, 10:40 AM
Hi Folks

Has anyone upgraded to XP from windows Me.. If so did you run into a lot of problems..Doing a fresh load of XP is a real problem with 30 gig of stuff to backup.. No room for another hard drive..
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2002, 10:55 AM
Hi Jerry,
I upgraded from Windows Me.
One thing that's very important before you upgrade, be sure your modem (if you are using a modem) driver is up to date. Make sure that it is certified by Microsoft XP compatible.
I had a problem with my modem when I upgraded. I therefore cannot connect to the internet to get the updated driver. I had to buy a new modem. It turned out later, that my old modem can be updated to comply with XP. So I have an extra modem.
Also my Epson Stylus 600 driver cannot be updated but Microsoft has a generic driver for my printer.
As I stated in a previous post, I have to endure a few restarts because of incompatible drivers.
"But I'm feeling much better now."

Last edited by angue; 10-13-2002 at 11:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2002, 07:26 PM
Running Windows XP and I re-boot rarely. I do shutdown at least once every second night purely because I'm not going to be using the box for a while.

With the mouse hanging, I had similar problems with my mouse and downloaded the lastest version of the intellimouse software (not the drivers only which the Windows Update site gave me) and it fixed the problem.

Also I had an initial problem with my CD Burner causing the system to crash, but a firmware upgrade on the CD as well as the atest BIOS on the motherboard and evrything is now great
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2002, 03:41 AM
My XP box only gets booted for hardware/software installation......maybe once a month. It's been rock solid for over a year now. My Linux box.........errr........what's a reboot?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2002, 08:17 AM

Using Win98SE, Pentium III 1.4GB processor. Although I voted "Never" in the poll, there was a horrific two week interlude following installation of PS7 where my system froze every time I used Photoshop. Sometimes it froze on startup, sometimes it froze smack in the middle of a piece of work. I had to power off each time and it was maddening. My husband, who is a computer technician, patiently went through every corrective step suggested by Adobe to no avail. I sulked and went back to using PS5.5 which has always been rock stable.

Totally frustrated, he upgraded my entire system, replacing video card, motherboard, memory and hard drives with brand new components. Something in that mix worked because I haven't had a problem since. Adobe just released a new techdoc which might have saved us a lot of time and money. Or not!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2002, 01:28 PM
June, I just noticed your problem experience with PS7. I'm still using V6, but plan to upgrade in the next year, so I appreciate your info and the link to Adobe's "solutions". Glad all is working now.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware