RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Computer restarts in an average day?

View Poll Results: Number of computer restarts in an average day?
Seldom to Never...(or, "Never, because I own a Mac!") 141 73.82%
1 time 22 11.52%
2 times 14 7.33%
3 times 7 3.66%
4 times 4 2.09%
5 + (my computer hates me!) 3 1.57%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2002, 03:15 PM

C.J., I went directly from PS5 to PS7 and am still experiencing Photoshock! It's truly an awesome program. When I started my business in 1990 all I had to work with in Windows was Aldus Photo Styler. Adobe absorbed that little company and just look where they've taken us. You're gonna love 7.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2002, 03:30 PM

My computer is running much better after formatting my C: drive and reinstalling Win ME...no restarts today!

Only thing I forgot to backup was my Windows Media licenses...so I have 4 or 5 CDs that I had burned to my hard drive that will not work due to copy protection. I will have to rerecord them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2002, 11:27 AM

hey Greg,

glad to hear it's working better now! yeah, without fail there's ALWAYS something that you forget to backup when you do a reinstall (last time it was my fonts )

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2002, 05:52 PM

Yep, been there, done that. It never seems to fail that I forget something I needed to back up too.

My XP seems to have calmed down lately. After the last round of hardware upgrades it was kind of unstable. XP didn't crash but PS 7 and Internet Explorer were on an every other day basis. Now for some reason everything is cool and stable. Go figure.

I sure hope that Microsoft doesn't come out with a new release any time soon. For once I would like for them to fix all the bugs in one version and let us enjoy it for a while before they come out with something new.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2002, 12:36 AM

Well XP should be around for a while at least, since Microsoft is saying that the next release won't be for a couple of years (they're working on some kind of big hardware/software security device, and that's taking them a *long* time, along with all the .NET stuff)

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2002, 04:42 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I just read (within the last few days)an article about the next OS. I'll have to rely on my rather fuzzy memory, since I don't remember where I saw it. But I know it said the next OS is in testing at this time, and it has a code name (but I can't remember it). Apparently, the .NET stuff has been worked out. I *think* they were looking for a marketable version sometime in 2003. If I happen to find the article, I'll let you know which magazine it was in.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2003, 02:53 PM

I have 2 systems running XP Pro and reboot MAYBE once a week. They are VERY stable.

Windows XP Pro is the way to go. I doo keep my systems optomised.

Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2003, 05:41 PM

Well, I just finished a complete reload of my primary PC last weekend. I think that this will be the last time I upgrade this PC for a while. Also just loaded a new PC, built with hand-me-down parts from my primary PC, for my home automation server. My old automation server has been in service for more than 4 years with no mechanical problems what so ever. It is running Win98 and has never been reloaded. It would sometimes lock up after running for a couple of months but that is to be expected because like most PC operating systems, continually loading and unloading programs will cause the system to run out of working ram. A lot of programs do not release the ram they were using when they terminate.

I'll see if Win XP can run as good as this on this new PC because it will run all the time. I usually shut my primary PC down when I am not using it. This server will run all the time like the old one did. My Linux server runs all the time and has never locked up or given any problems at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2003, 07:40 PM

With XP on my Toshiba 1905 laptop I have not had to restart. On my win 98 machine maybe once every 2-3 weeks. Maybe I am just lucky!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2004, 02:07 AM

Have XP SP2, and the only thing that makes me crash is Windows Movie Maker. As I almost never use this, the number of times I've crashed in the last 2 years is in single figures.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware