Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Computer restarts in an average day?

View Poll Results: Number of computer restarts in an average day?
Seldom to Never...(or, "Never, because I own a Mac!") 141 73.82%
1 time 22 11.52%
2 times 14 7.33%
3 times 7 3.66%
4 times 4 2.09%
5 + (my computer hates me!) 3 1.57%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2004, 06:00 AM
Gary, I'm new to Windows XP - I've been a Mac user all my life - and I've heard such horror stories about SP2 I've been afraid to install it.

Since you seem to be doing OK with it I'm wondering what your secret is.

I just got my Win XP laptop and haven't installed anything on it yet, I'm wondering if I'll have good luck if I install SP2 before installing anything else.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi Margaret, since SP2 is quite a large download, and I'm on dial up, I got Microsoft to send me the CD. Before I did an install, I did a backup, and defragged my harddrive. Then I created a restore point, switched off firewall and anti-virus shield, and also various spyware detectors I have. All this is to stop any conflicts and to allow a clean install. Then performed install, and afterwards defragged hard drive again (such a large install creates a lot of detritus). Then re enabled firewall, antivirus and spyware blockers. Sounds involved I know, but it's really quite easy to do, and I've had no trouble at all since updating. From a really nitpicking point of view, it takes slightly longer to boot now, but that's all I've noticed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks Gary, since my machine is just out of the box, I can restore it easily and do the SP2 install without doing any fiddling around.

I suspected that the folks who were having problems were not performing due diligence in terms of backups etc.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2004, 01:18 AM

I did roughly what Gary did when installing XPSP2 .... and no problem here too..
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2004, 12:16 PM
Running XP pro/SP2. The only time I re-boot is when I have to for software installations. I usually re-format and do a clean install a couple times a year, just to clean out all for the junk that accumulates on the hard drive and in the registry. I've been using XP ever since it started and before, I was testing it when it was still beta. I've never really had any serious problems with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2004, 12:03 PM
I'm with T; restart daily, sometimes by choice, other times when I've clobbered it by running lots of programs (or just the wrong programs) at once and the thing becomes intolerably slow. I'm using XP but have only 1/2 Gig of RAM; I frequently work on big files and my drives are usually too full... call it a lack discipline combined with less than wonderful resources.
My partner almost never reboots and she keeps four or five apps open all the time; also on XP.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Ditto Chip.

My computer is the only one not connected to battery backup and we live where the power goes out often. I shutdown my computer completely every time it thunders.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2004, 10:43 AM

My only photoshop computer is my laptop, and I have to restart that sucker at least once every two days, and that's when it's going well. (In case you're wondering, I use my laptop at home, constantly plugged in, so battery power is not an issue) I think I have the same problem as Chip claims to have.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2004, 10:45 AM
No problems here on a new G5 iMac and a G4 iMac running OS 10.3. It's interesting to see that so many are saying they're having no problems with Windows XP. A lot of my friends are using XP and are having serious problems with it, even my ultra techy friends are threatening to change to Linux or Mac (one of whom designs coolings systems for satellites..I did ask her why they need cooling when space is so amazingly cold but didn't understand much of the answer:-).
Good to know that Microsoft is improving things gradually though. At the end of the day as long as your system lets you use photoshop with minimal hassle then it's the one you should stick with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2004, 11:21 AM
At home I have a WIN2K machine and at work I have a WIN2K, a Mac G4 and a Mac G5 that I use regularly.

Let's see.

The last time I rebooted at home was when the power went out 6 months ago...
At work my WIN2K machine was rebooted three weeks ago when our IT people decided I really did need the extra Gig of RAM I'd been asking for for months...
As for the Macs, I share them with other people, so they need rebooting pretty often because they are full of junk other people have installed and I don't have permissions to remove.

Moral of the story, NEVER BUY A MAC

Just kidding, be careful of what you install and what you have running...most people are letting programs like WeatherBug or Office Shortcut Bar chew up 25%+ of their resources. (WeatherBug reduces your throughput by a good 10% and OSB by an additional 15%)

All I have running right now aside from the stuff needed to make Windows run is my virus scan, spyware blocker, Adobe's gamma tool, Photoshop, and Maxthon (my web browser).

Incidently, Windows has been a lot more stable since they rewrote the Kernal in 2000, but anyone trying to upgrade to 2000 or XP from 9X will have all the problems of their previous version. (Don't even think about it if you have that virus on your computer, what is it ME)

Take care,

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware