RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Wacom Musings.

Old 10-15-2002, 07:03 PM

Bob, Thanks for mentioning that Cd, I was in my local library today and one of the photo mags mentioned it. I'll have another look although I haven't seen it mentioned on the Wacom UK site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2002, 10:01 PM

I have little doubt that you'll be happier than a pig in . . . .oh well. You'll like it if you give it a chance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2002, 06:53 PM

After the Wacom arrived I went on the hunt for more info. Apart from the obvious Wacom sites this one crossed my bows. The site essentially revolves round Kolle's book but the download gives chapter and verse on tablet setup, might be of interest to other users.

http://www.iril.no/gts_samplechapter.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2002, 08:45 PM

Great find Chris. Thanks. I downloaded the PDF and saved it in my tutorial file.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2002, 06:15 AM

Nice thread folks!

Can anyone comment in more detail on smaller tablets like the A5 graphire?

My concern is this - the larger tablets have better sensitivity (double), will precision retouching be possible with the graphire or will it seem to stutter or something?...I am not concerned with painting or natural media simulation as such - just general Photoshop retouching and manipulation for a magazine prepress setting.

Are the smaller tablets restrictive to sweeping movements? Or when you are zoomed in on the image and retouching does it not matter and you have more than enough room to play?

I know I will miss not having hotkeys on the entry level tablet and I really wonder how attempting to draw bezier pen paths will go (there is always the mouse)...in the past very minor casual use of pens/tablets has seemed alien, even when moving around the desktop in the OS and not even in Photoshop, but I guess in hindsight a mouse was alien at first too and a pen seems to be more logical.

Am I worried over nothing?

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2002, 06:05 PM

Party who sold me the Wacom arrived today and handed me another packet of pen 'nibs' having checked the price of these replacements in the UK am wondering whether to rent safe deposit box for them!!

Stephen M, I can't help you on the Graphire queries but if nothing appears here I'd suggest a search or post on Wet Canvas as tablets are used a lot by members and there are specific forums that could provide an answer.

Cheers...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2002, 09:04 PM

Stephen,
Never having owned anything BUT a graphire, I don't know that I can adequately answer your question. However, I have had no problem with retouching at all. I have not noticed any stuttering of any sort. I have a pretty heavy hand, but even a light touch seems very smooth to me.

I don't consider myself an artist and don't do much "sweeping" motion with my whole arm involved, just my wrist. The smaller size (4x5") does restrict "large" sweeping motions simply because of it's size. So, if you're used to doing that, it might take some getting used to. Personally, I've tried the larger sizes and actually prefer the smaller one. That's just the way I work, I guess. I've never felt restricted by the size.

As far as drawing bezier curves - if you can do it with a mouse, it seems to me it will be infinitely easier with any size tablet. That being said, it seems that some people have an easier time learning to use a tablet than others. For me, the first time I had the pen in my hand I was hooked and never looked back. Don't even use a mouse for getting around the desktop any more! (In fact, the only reason I keep a mouse around is so that my husband can find his way around my computer if he needs to - he's never figured out my tablet! )

It sounds like you're used to (maybe even own?) a larger tablet though - why are you thinking of moving to a smaller one?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 04:49 AM

Chris, Jeanie - thanks for the reply.

My situation is that I have access to a first gen. Graphire with mouse - but it is missing the pen. I bought a replacement pen today - $77AU (no spare nibs)...altough that's something I did not consider before. I was not sure if it was going to be worth bothering with so thus my post. It has been a while since I have used a tablet, but I have used the large models some years ago - although I was never that comfortable with them due to limited use.

Before moving to desktop systems, the proprietary graphics workstation I used to use had both a digitizer tablet/puck for tracing or plotting points as input, or mouse type movement. The main control was via a trackball - this was a large (baseball size) heavy duty slick industrial plastic ball which you could slap around for very fluid quick moves or roll with very fine precision...I have not found a desktop trackball that even comes close in todays desktop settings.

For the last decade I have been using a mouse with very infrequent tablet use - so I have some learning to undo...

After a couple of hours use I am feeling more comfortable with the tablet - but I really have to be very careful not to accidentally press the pen (or even brush the tablet surface by mistake) while using the rubber stamp and there are other learning curve issues but it is not feeling too bad and the size of the tablet seems OK.

My major concern so far is the pressure sensitivity when clone stamping - I have to press too hard to get a good cover of a dust spot - which is a simple matter for a mouse...I will have to spend a lot of time exploring the driver software.

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 06:31 AM

What surprised me with the Intuos was the fact that you can drive the whole program your using via the pen controls, I assumed it was purely for manipulation of the visible area of the jpeg, tiff whatever. I put a link to a setup tutorial further back on this thread but I fear it isnt orientated to Graphire configuration.

Cheers...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 09:08 AM

Stephen

Have you gone into the setup on the control panel for the wacom tablet? - you can set up the sensitivity of the pen in there.

Clare

jeaniesa
"I don't consider myself as an artist"

Having looked at your gallery I have to say I disagree - The images you create are certainly art - which makes you an artist! - and one with a lot of tallent.

Last edited by clare; 11-01-2002 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware