RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Epson 2200 - My first impressions

Old 10-27-2002, 10:10 PM

Kevin
That's an excellent point. I have the 2000 and I use only the paper recommended with that machine and I never use other inks or refills for that same reason. One of the things I noticed when I was buying it was all the reviews of other owners that told horror stories of having to clean ink off the wheels because of that. It just wasn't something I wanted to try. So far I haven't had that problem at all. I have to believe that's the reason.
I think alot of people belive that all inks and papers are the same and can be used with all printers, but as you pointed out the dyes are so much different to work with than the pigments. Good tip.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2002, 09:17 PM

I printed an 8x10 on Pictorico premium photo glossy paper today. It does absorbe all of the ink and has no sign of bronzing. I plan on ordering more of this paper to get a better test but it seems as though it performs as I was told. I don't know why they list this paper as premium glossy because it is identical in color and texture to Epson's premium luster paper. Their premium photo gallery hi-gloss white film is a true glossy. So much so that you'ill need to be careful around bright lights because the reflection off this paper might blind someone.

I downloaded their color profiles to use with this paper but wasn't able to use the PPGP profile with Qimage Pro. I set it up like I would expect to utilize a Colorvision ICC profile, which is exactly what they used to generate the profile, but the print preview showed a big magenta cast. I believe that had I tried to print from PS7 I would have had better success. I simply set up the driver to use Epson P Luster, printed the image using Qimage Pro, and the print turned out very well. I think after I profile this paper in Profile Prism I will be turning out some very good prints.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2002, 09:54 PM

One correction to my earlier report that the Pictorico premium glossy photo paper was like the Epson premium luster paper. The sample I printed was actually the premium gallery glossy paper. That paper is in every way like Epson's premium luster paper. The paper I received this week was the Pictorico premium glossy photo paper and it is a true glossy paper not a luster paper.

I'm very pleased with this new paper. It does fully absorb all the ink and does it very quickly. This paper is fully dry when it comes out of the printer. There is no layering, or "bronzing" as it has been labeled. I think this ceramic coating is the answer to the layering effect caused by the resin coated papers with pigment inks. This probably means that the Epson 2000P users can use this paper with the same great results. The metamerism reported by 2000p users would probably be eliminated with this paper. It would be worth a try.

I printed my first large glossy print yesterday. I used one of the 13 x 19" Pictorico PGPP papers and printed a 1500 x 1200 DPI image at 12 x 18 using Qimage Pro. The results were stunning. My first real test of Qimage's lanczos intrepolation. I was very impressed. Until now I had only been able to print 8 x 10's and you really can't get a feel for the process until you try to print a small image at 12 x 18.

I hope this helps someone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2002, 10:24 PM

Thanks Kevin, I may just give that paper a try on my 2000p and see how it goes. Can you get it most anywhere in local office supply or computer supply stores?
If you want to really compare it, put them in the sun and see if it fades faster than the recommended papers. Epson said the Glossy didn't work with the archival inks when I questioned them on it and I believe it was because it greatly reduced the longevity of the archival prints. I'm not really sure on this so it would be interesting to see how they hold up in bright sunlight.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2002, 10:56 PM

DJ you can buy the paper from Pictorico online and pictorico.com. They say that Best Buy is a stocking dealer for them. I haven't tried to buy it there yet. The longevity of this paper is the same or a little better than Epson glossy papers. The Wilheim Institute site is not back up yet to check. He has done testing on this paper using the 2200, I can't wait to see his results. I need to get some of Epson's watercolor paper to see how well it works. Pictorico's water color paper is not supposed to be compatible with the 2200.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2002, 11:32 AM

DJ;

I am wondering what matt paper you use with your 2000. I was very dissappointed with Epson's "Enhanced Matt", used to be called "Archive Matt" until they found out that it yellows in exposure to direct sunlight. I have tried all of Red River Paper's art paper and really like the results especially in black&white. What I don't like is having to manually feed through the "straight path" paper slot. But if that is what I need to do in order to get the best archival results then I will. This Epson 2200 is great for black&white.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2002, 03:06 PM

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the info on the Pictorico paper. I'll check into it. The Epson matte paper I use is specifically recommended for the 2000P It's the Archival Matte Paper #S041341 I haven't noticed any yellowing at all with it but I haven't really done any direct sun tests. Like my inks, I have to order the paper online because no office supply store carries that specific type. It would be nice to see the difference in black and white prints from the 2200 and the 2000. Personally, I never really thought the black and whites were bad on the 2000 but not seeing a side by side might change my mind.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2002, 06:15 PM

That Epson Archival Matt is the same paper that I have. My A3 Epson Archival Matt is #S0141343. If you look on their site they show the "Enhanced Matt" roll paper as having the same coating as the Archival Matt. The Atlex.com site which is where I buy my Epson paper and ink shows the Enhanced Matt as being the same paper as the Archival Matt. I originally ordered the Enhanced Matt from their site and the Archival Matt is what they sent me. Some users on the dpreview site have tested the Archival Matt in the sunlight and it yellowed fairly bad in a short period of time. The word is that soon the official name for this paper will be changed to "Enhanced Matt". Wilhelm also downgraded this paper to about 30 years at 450 Lux under glass. You will notice that on the Epson site, the description details on this paper fail to make any mention about it's archival qualities. I wish Wilhelm would get his site back up.

I don't know how the 2200 differs from the 2000 on black & white. I assumed that the 2000 has always done a good job in that area. But compared to my old Photo 870 there is a great deal of difference.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2002, 11:18 PM

I didn't know that about the Archival matt and Enhanced matt being the same. Did you happen to notice if the prices were the same? Altex is where I buy my printer products too. They are very reliable and they have the best prices of the competing online office supply companies. I also wasn't aware that the paper turned yellow in the sun. Boy, to think of all the time and effort I've wasted applying sepia to the prints. Thanks for the info.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2002, 06:25 PM

I have found an additional source for papers for the 2200. Inkjetart.com has an extensive selection of papers that are compatible with the Epson 2200 and 2000P. From what I can see there is no shortage of papers available for these printers. They have quite a listing here :

http://www.inkjetart.com/EpsonStylus...200/media.html

They have a new paper "Inkjetart Micro Ceramic Luster". It is supposed to be identical to the Epson Premium Luster except that is is ceramic coated and doen't exibit the bronzing effect. I can't find what archival rating this paper has but it must be there somewhere. I haven't tried this paper yet. But I plan to.

Had my first hic-up with the 2200 this week. I printed an 11 x 14 image and after about 3 inches the yellow head plugged. I of course wasn't there watching so I dscovered this after the fact. One cleaning cycle cleared the problem. Guess I should print a test pattern before any major image job, it might save ink and paper. This is the only slight problem I have seen yet.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware