RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Epson 2200 - My first impressions

Old 11-23-2002, 12:06 PM

Pigment inks are bad for that. I've found out the hard way on my 2000P and now pretty much do a test print before printing anything. Even after a few good prints I will now run a quick test print because I've printed more than a couple copies just fine then all of a sudden one cartridge get's clogged. Mostly my black. It cleans up real well but I hate running a clean on it and wasting ink. I consider ink liquid Gold.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 05:38 PM

I thought I would post my experiences with some glossy paper. I bought some Red River Ultra Pro Gloss paper. This is a very nice paper for any glossy application. It is a 68lb weight paper. I used their suggestion, Red River Paper, and reduced the ink density by 10% to reduce the bronzing effect. This suggestion has worked well with the Luster paper, but, sadly it doesn't fully eliminate the bronzing on this high gloss paper. I knew that the glossy papers showed this worse than the others. This was my first experience with a high gloss paper.

Now I don't know if this would be objectionable to everyone. It doesn't bother me a lot but I might think about asking a client before printing commercial work on this paper. You have to hold the prints just right in the light to see the problem. My recommendation to anyone would be to try the glossy paper with the 2200 to see if it bothers you.

I plan on using this paper for printing the Christmas party shap shots for the family members. I'll see if I get any comments on the prints.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 05:58 PM

Thanks for posting your observations Kevin. They were very helpful.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2003, 11:38 PM

Question

Good Day Kevin,

I will be purchasing an Epson 2200 as soon as they are available (Yes, there is a HUGE waiting list in Canada), but I had a question to ask you.

I've read on the DPreview forums that changing from the Epson Photo black to Matte Black wastes a lot of ink. Do you feel this is a valid statement? An article on Inkjetart states that it only costs around U$1.00 to switch the inks.

This would be important for me because I would be printing a mix of glossy and matte prints... or I could use my Canon S820 for glossy prints with my Ilford papers... but that's another story.

Thanks for the help!

Eric Polsinelli
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 10:12 AM

Hi Eric. I hope you are able to get your 2200 soon. I had to wait about two weeks before I was able to get mine. I got on the waiting list at B&H Photo and as promised they sent me a message when there was one available. They are a big Epson dealer and seem to be able to get more of the 2200 than others.

About the Matt Black swap out, I agree with what Inkjetart states. It really doesn't waste a lot of ink, I would compare it to a cleaning cycle. I have switched between the matt and photo black cartridge many times and have not noticed a lot of ink being wasted. I do try to plan my printing jobs so that I minimize the number of times that I make this switch. I'm not a high volume printer since most of my jobs are restoration so I may not be a good judge of this event.

If you plan to do a lot of printing I would recomment that you stock up on replacement cartridges. The ink cartridges are also in heavy demand and are hard to get at times. I have on hand a complete set of replacement cartridges and another set of the light colors, light cyan, light magenta, light black, and yellow. I buy most of my Epson cartridges and paper from www.atlex.com since they have the best prices. The last order I made from them they were or of stock on light cyan & light magenta.

I hope this helps you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 07:50 PM

Thanks Kevin,

I actually work for one of Epson Canada's distributors, so we receive produt before stores do... hehe

All my Inks and Epson papers will be purchased at work, but I will most likley try different brands of papers (is Red River any good for the 2200?).

One of my concernes was the ink "wastage" during ink swaps, but my mind is at ease now. THANKS!

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 08:18 PM

Hey, that's cheating, I guess you will get a good price too. Just kidding. Yes, Red River makes excellent papers for use with the 2200. In fact they are mentioned directly by Epson as a alternative source for paper for the 2200. I also use papers from Inkjetart.com and Pictorico.com.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 08:25 PM

Hehe... yes, it is cheating, but what can I do.

Thanks again for the help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2003, 04:52 PM

Kevin,

Another thing.

I have noticed that the 2200 cannot print borderless on Matte / Art papers... do you find this to be a problem, or do you have a way to work around this?

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2003, 05:16 PM

Eric, this hasn't presented a problem for me. I almost always print on standard sized paper and trim the prints. The only times I have used the borderless feature is when I have printed 4 x 6 prints on roll paper. I usually print 8 x 10 on 8 1/2 x 11 paper and 11 x 14 on A3 paper.

It's possible that the 2200 cannot bleed to the edge with that type of paper.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware