RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Epson 2200 - My first impressions

Old 02-13-2003, 08:04 PM

Thanks again Kevin,

I should take a look at Profile Prism. I have an Epson Perfection 2400 Photo, so it counts as a good scanner

The Legion website contains ICC profiles for the 2200 for use on many of their papers. Check out the website and tell me what you think http://www.legionpaper.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2003, 08:33 PM

I don't know where my mind was. The name Legion didn't ring a bell for some reason. I looked at my paper shelf and then it hit me. I have some Legion Somerset Velvet paper. This paper is being produced for Epson so I guess it will be OK in the 2200 lol. I think that Red River also produces some of the Epson papers.

So much for some of my earlier statements.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2003, 10:00 PM

Haha, that's funny.

Do you find their paper any good? I'm interested in purchasing one of the sample packs which include their canvas and somerset papers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2003, 05:20 PM

I haven't used but about three sheets of the Somerset Velvet paper. I can't make a judgment on personally but I have heard good things about it. Also, if it is good enough for epson, it's good enough for me. The Epson Velvet Fine Art paper is the same paper as Legion's Somerset Photo Enhanced Professional Digital Art Paper. That's a mouth full.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 11:30 AM

I’ve finally unpacked my 2200, which had remained in its box for the past six weeks as I just moved. I am hoping to start printing in a few days.

What advice can you all give me on whether to use some of the software that came bundled with the printer program?

I’ve been doing all my printing with PS7.

Thanks for any help and tips.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 06:47 PM

Hi Alan, Glad you finally got the printer unpacked. The software that comes with the printer is OK. I used the Epson Filmfactory for a while when I bought my Epson 870. It's an OK program. The program I use to print most of my work is Qimage Pro from www.ddisoftware.com . I first bought it simply because it could print 3 4x6 pictures on one 8 1/2x11 sheet of paper and Filmfactory couldn't. Try Filmfactory you might like it. I haven't used and of the rest of the software that comes with the printer. I have other programs that I use in every case.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2003, 11:43 AM

Hi Kevin,

I finally got to print, but it was not a good start. I’m sure that it is something that I’m not doing correctly and checking the manual, etc. will do the trick.

However, since I printed after midnight and I will not be able to get back to printing for several days, I thought that I would ask for some online help.

The print, matte, had five black lines about 1-1-2” apart and 1/8” wide the full length of the page. It looks to me like they are roller tracks since you can see treads.

The image is also blurred and distorted, which is probably due to the spacing for the paper.

I was wondering why the rollers, if that is the cause of the lines, would be picking up the ink on the first print.

Do you print from PhotoShop?

TIA for your help. I am looking forward to making great prints once I’m on track.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2003, 12:10 PM

Hi Alan, you didn't mention what paper you were using. If the ink is being picked up by the rollers then the paper isn't allowing the ink to dry within the normal time span. This is usually caused by the paper not absorbing the ink fast enough. Off hand I think you have a problem with the paper you are using. The paper you use needs to be specificaly for pigment inks. Some papers by Kodak and also some designed for use in dye based ink printers will behave just as you mentioned.

If you are using Epson paper designed for use in the 2200 then you have a driver or setting problem. Try printing at 1440 DPI or increasing the drying time in the driver setting. I use only papers that specifically state that they have been tested for use by an Epson 2200.

Hope this helps you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2003, 12:30 PM

I'm using the enhanced matte paper recommended by Epson. I probably did not set the printer properly. I tend to agree with you as to what the problem is.

I quess that I'll have to clean the rollers.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2003, 02:15 PM

Enhanced Matt paper brings up another question. Are you using the proper black cartridge? What you describe can be caused by using the photo black ink cartridge with matt paper. It sounds like you are not using the matt black cartridge?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware