RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Epson 2200 - My first impressions

Old 03-03-2003, 02:53 PM

Kevin,

You may be right. I'll check it out tonight.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 08:19 AM

Epson's manual indicated that both the photo and matt black inks are compatable with the enhanced matt paper.

I'm off for the day, so I'll check with Epson on this.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 05:42 PM

Hi Kevin,

The problem is solved. It is all a matter of having the proper settings.

I had printed using the automatic mode. Adobe recommended to use the photo enhance button and then choose the applicable selection, ie. nature, person, etc.

They recomended the automatic mode for documents, not pictures.

Also, both blacks work fine with the enhanced matte paper, but they recommend using the black matte.

I'm sure that I'll have to do considerable experimenting with the various setting, but at least on the right track.

Thanks again for your timely comments.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 06:15 PM

Good, I'm glad you solved the problem. I guess it's the other way around, they don't recommend the matt black for any of the glossy papers. Anyway it's good that you are working OK now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2003, 05:14 PM

Hi Kevin,

I'm inching along as time permits during the week.

I saw more background detail in a print that I made with premium glossy. I compared it with a print made with HP630. The other difference was that the 2200 print was not the final, adjusted image that was used for the HP print.

At first glance, the print looked the same. However, the details in the background such as ripples in the water, showed more detail and colors not evident in the HP print.

None of this is earth shaking, but I'm much more optimistic that I will do just fine with the 2200 once I can really devote some time.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2003, 07:36 PM

Thought I would give you some of the information I have been collecting over the past few months. There is still a lot I don't know about the UltraChrome ink set. I have searched high and low and have been able to gleen some information but not as much as I would like. There isn't much in print about the really technical side of inkjet printing. I guess the manufacturers believe that too much information is not good so some of the data still lingers in a shroud of secrecy. Here is what I have learned so far.

The UltraChrome inks are a superset version of the archival inks that Epson uses in the 2000p and the 10000 line of archival printers. The difference is the UltraChrome inks are micro-encapsulated and have a wider gammut, which seems to have reduced the archival rating somewhat. The Epson 2000p has a better light fastness and thus better archival qualities. How did Epson increase the Gammut of the UltraChrome inks and end up with a lower archival rating? I can't find the answer to this question anywhere but I suspect that the UltraChrome ink is a hybrid ink possibly containing some dye.

The Epson 2000p pigment ink is not encapsulated like the UltraChrome ink which is why it cannot be used with most of the resin coated glossy papers. It will not penetrate the swellable polymer coating and can be rubbed off even after it has dried. The UltraChrome "matt" black ink is also not encapsulated and should not be used with the RC glossy papers for the same reasons.

The "bronzing" effect that is evident in the 2200 prints only happens on RC coated papers. This is caused by the pigmented ink particles being so much larger that dye particles. The swellable RC coating absorbs the larger pigment particles and isn't able to fully retract back into the paper base because of the size of the particles. As a result is appears that the ink is sitting on top of the paper, especially in areas of heavy ink usage. The ceramic coated papers do not have this problem as the porous ceramic coating fully absorbs the ink and dries rapidly.

If you are still awake I'll go on. What I am not able to determine is whether the porous ceramic coated papers have the same archival ratings as the RC coated papers when used with UltraChrome inks. The only information I have on this is from Inkjetart.com who says that the Epson Permium Luster paper has both an RC coating and a ceramic coating, the ceramic being on top. Wilhelm has tested this paper with UltraChrome inks and has given it a descent rating.

I know that canon inkjet printers have a very poor fade rating when used with their papers which are ceramic coated. This much is known, that dye based inks do not last as well with the ceramic coated papers because the porous coating allows air contact with the dye particles which causes gas fading. The swellable resin coatings encapsulate the ink particles and offer better protection against gas fade and offer water proof pictures. Now do pigment inks have the same gas fading potential as dye inks? If this is true then the ceramic papers are not as good for archival prints as RC papers.

I hope I have not confused anybody anymore than I am. I hope to get some more answers soon. If I have mistated anything please let me know. Part of the purpose of this post is to incourage others to tell me what they know. I really have more questions than answers.

Last edited by KevinBE; 04-22-2003 at 08:11 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2003, 01:21 PM

Kevin,

Here are some pages with info on the Ultrachrome inks... by the way I just LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE MY 2200!

http://www.dp-now.com/news/Apr2002/d...nnews188a.html

http://www.knoware.epson.com/Pages/L.../ultratech.pdf

Here is also one of the most interesting 2200 sites I have ever seen: http://www.anestoday.com/epson2200/ The writer goes into details on how to refill your 2200 using SP7600 OR 9600 untrachrome inks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2003, 03:50 PM

Thanks Eric. That's just the type of information I am looking for. Now I have some more information to read. I am still looking for information on ceramic coating and UltraChrome inks. It looks like Epson has designed the UltraChrome inks for resin coated paper. The encapsulation in the ink is resin based.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2003, 08:55 PM

ooohhhhhhhhh...... all the talk about this nice printer (which I've been eyeing) is making my credit card itchy
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2003, 07:59 PM

Kevin,
I am new to this forum and have read your posts on this thread with real interest. I thought you might be interested in the Yahoo Group for Epson 2000p,2100 and 2200. In this forum I read about a product that you can get from inkjetart that adds to the archival life of prints made with Epson inks.

Included in this post was a reference to a report from www.wilhelm-research.com.This group has a lot of information on inks and paper for these three printers.

I currently have a 2000p and find that when I print regularly I have no problems with inks or objectionable color cast on the paper. However, if the printer sits for any length of time. The ink gets old and the prints lean toward a green cast.

I am hoping to get a 2200 soon.

Regards,
Pat
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware