RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Single vs. dual processors?

Old 10-31-2002, 10:40 AM

Hello,

I am new here, but I just wanted to comment on this subject.

Jeanie, you mentioned that you want to use Win XP. If you build a Dual processor system Win Xp Home ed. will run on only one of the processors. To use the second processor you must use Win Xp Pro ed. With the money you save by going with Win XP Home ed. you could buy a faster processor and maybe a better video card. By doing this all of your programs will run as fast as possible.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2002, 04:32 PM

Hi Steve - and WELCOME to RetouchPRO!!

Thanks for your comment. I was planning on getting Win XP Pro b/c I'd heard that it was more stable than Home - and at this point, stability is my #1 concern. (I've been fighting computer problems for the past 6 months and I'm really tired of it!) And, anything that I get will be way faster than what I'm running now - given the increases in bus speeds, memory speeds, etc. Plus, I'd really like for this system to last me 2-3 years (I know, I know - it will be obsolete as soon as I purchase it!!) Still, I'm not one to pay a lot of money for the latest and greatest - I tend to look at where the price breaks are (at least with processor speeds) and go with the top speed just below the big jump in prices. If I'm smart about my motherboard purchase, perhaps I can upgrade the CPU at a later date, but I'm not counting on it.

In any case, I haven't yet decided on one processor or two - still have a bit of research to do. So, I appreciate you sharing your wisdom with me.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2003, 01:16 AM

What are the latest opinions from those of you with PC dual processor systems? I'm considering upgrading my system, currently one 700 Mhz Pentium III processor running Win98SE. I understand that I'll need to run Win2K or WinXP Pro to use two processors. I understand that two CPUs may not give a huge improvement for Photoshop.

What I really want to know is whether multi program response is improved. For example, say I have Photoshop, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Excel and my e-mail utility all running at the same time. Will some of the programs run on one CPU and other programs on the other one? If so, does this significantly improve your systems responsiveness, versus running all of the programs on a single CPU? Is there anything you have to do manually to get programs to run on one CPU versus the other, or does the OS handle this automatically?

Also, have you had any problems with any apps that run OK in a single CPU configuration, but don't like the dual CPU configuration? If yes, were you able to solve the probem by changing the properties for that program to force it to run on just one CPU?

Thx!

Gene
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2003, 08:56 PM

Dual processor systems work well under Windows XP Pro.

You will not get twice the speed with a dual processor machine, you may see a 40 to 50% speed increase over a single processor (800Mhz dual will equal about a 1.1Ghz single processor) On my second system, I have a Dual 800 PIII, my main system is a 2.26Ghz. The 2.26Ghz system is so much faster that the dual 800's.

Dual machines revert to single processor when the software doesn't support it, so you lose one processor "most" of the time.

Jeanie, what did you end up getting???

Best thing you can do for your systems proformance is to add more ram.

Windows XP does have a "go back" feature, you just have to set the save points.

Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Jeanie, what did you end up getting???
I went with a single P4 2.53GHz. It appeared to me that most mainboards that supported dual processors were for Athlon processors. (I admit, I didn't look particularly hard for a mainboard which supported dual Pentiums.) Since one of my other goals for my system was that it be quiet - and since from everything I read the Athlon chips run hotter than the P4 chips, thus needing more cooling (i.e. more fan noise), I decided to go with a single P4. (Also, having never experienced the actual speed of a dual processor system, I figured I didn't really know what I was missing. )

Please don't tell me I made a mistake - my system has been running fine for almost two months now (a record amount of time considering what I've had to deal with over the past year) and I'm happy with it!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 10:45 AM

Jeanie,

You did the right thing.

You were correct to think about the noise issue, more or larger fans for cooling could be much louder. I sometmes hate the hum of my dual machine, it is so much louder than my single processor. As a matter of fact, sitting here in my office, the dual is 18 feet away and the single is 2 feet away, I only hear the dual processor cooling fans!

Enjoy your new system!!

Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 10:49 AM

Phew!!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 02:19 PM

Paul,

Thanks for the info. I had hoped that a dual processor system would help even with apps that weren't written to take advantage of a dual processor system, letting some apps run on one processor and some on the other, both running at the same time. As I understand from your reply, the only advantage to a dual processor system is if you have only one app running and it was written to take advantage of multi processors.

Since I won't have PS (or any other app) running stand-alone most of the time, I agree with Jeanie and think I'll be better off with a single processor system.

Gene
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware