RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

New monitor choice

Old 10-31-2002, 04:35 PM

Re: lines on the Sony

My current monitor has a Trinitron tube and I barely notice the lines at all. Only when I'm working on scratches on a photo, sometimes it fools me. But, I just move the photo to a different spot on the screen and get back to work. For the most part (reading e-mail, web surfing, etc.), I don't even notice the lines until someone asks about it - then I have to go looking for them!

Doug, for some reason, I was under the impression that the Diamondtron's DO have the lines. If I get one, I'll let you know for sure.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2002, 06:50 PM

Having Two sony triniton's I can say also that the line doesn't bother me. Both are in slightly different positions - but before you asked I didn't even notice this!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 01:52 AM

Another possibility for a monitor is LG's Flatron line, which is a combination of CRT and aperture grille technology, so you can get the flat screen without the lines like you get with aperture grille and trinitron (both are pretty much the same technology). I've seen Flatron's at computer stores and the display looks impressive for quality. they go up to 22" in size (*droool*)

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2004, 09:07 AM

Good morning, Hoping for an update on this question. I am being given a new monitor as a birthday gift. But I have to do the research (sigh). Should it be LCD or CRT? After reading all the forums on this topic I feel confused as to whether people are happy with their LCD's. I will be in the modest price range. No pie in the sky monitors for me.
Perhaps now in the merry month of May , 2004 there will be several people who have been using their LCD's for photo retouching etc. that there will be some current evaluations. From what I have read one of the main problems has been the ability to tweak the colors. Please let me know your opinions. Thanks. Cinderella
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2004, 10:00 AM

Given your modest budget I'd stick with CRT, I had a dabble with TFT but I don't think the quality is there yet. My Hitachi TFT is great for office work but I'm back with a pair of Mitsu CRT's (22" and 19") for the present. 17 and 19" CRT prices have been slipping for some time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2004, 12:21 PM

If you're looking in the modest price range, I would stick with CRT. You'll get a much better monitor (at least for graphics work) for your money. I know there are a lot of pros switching to LCDs, but I think the ones they are using are quite expensive. I tried an LCD display a year ago and was so frustrated with it I returned it. I was not able to calibrate it sufficiently and what I saw as brilliant royal blue or rich burgundy on the screen invariably printed as black on my printer!! After much wasted paper & ink, I returned the monitor in frustration - never had that problem with my CRT!

I guess your choice depends mostly on what type of work you do most of the time. If graphics work is a large part of what you do and you want to stay moderately priced, I would opt for CRT.

Just my $.02.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware