RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Printers: HP 7150 printer does not print psd files

Old 11-12-2002, 12:10 PM

Printers

I have a Hewlett Packard 7150 printer. It does not seem to want to print out psd files is this normal or do I have to convert the psd files to another format? I hope I am not the first to come up with this silly question.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2002, 02:07 PM

Have you tried printing in any other format? Maybe you've got a printer driver problem.

A few more details would be helpful:

What OS are you running?

What version of photoshop?

How large is this file you're trying to print?

Normally printers have a utility that prints a test page. Make sure that works.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2002, 03:58 PM

Hello again Ben,
Did this start after you installed PS 7? Check to see that it recognizes you have a printer installed. Can you print any other format?
Send some more info.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2002, 06:25 AM

Further to printing problem. I am running Windows ME using PS6 and if I save the psd file as a tiff file or a jpeg file they will print out without any problem. The psd file starts to print and then just comes up with an error message. The psd file I am trying to print is 105mb if I save it as atiff file 101mb it prints ok. I have also tried a 73mb psd file which prints ok!! The error message says "A device attached to the system is not funtioning" Confused because I am. Over to you experts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2002, 09:39 AM

Ben,

Do you have the latest driver? I found a download on the HP site for driver version 4.1 (dated 7/24/02) specifically for Windows 98 and Me. Perhaps that might help?

I've also been searching the HP knowledge base, but not finding anything related to your problem. (Lots of Mac OS issues though.) The only thing I could come up with is the new driver.

You can download the driver here.

Good luck,
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2002, 10:23 AM

Hi Jeanie
Yes I am using driver 4.1 have checked. Could it be anything to do with the size of the file?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2002, 10:39 AM

It most definitely could be the size of the file. However, I would think the printer (being a photo printer) should be able to handle larger than 105MB!

Have you tried flattening the image just for printing? You can store the PSD file with all of it's layers - just flatten it before you send it to the printer. (You can always undo the flatten after printing if you need to tweak any of the layers.) Flattening should significantly reduce the file size.

If you've already flattened it, how many alpha channels do you have? (Also know as saved selections - they'll be at the bottom of your channels palette.) If you've got a bunch of those, you might try deleting them before printing. They also add to the file size.

In any case, you might want to send an e-mail to HP support and ask them if there is a file size limit. Seems like 105MB is relatively small though.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2002, 03:29 PM

Hi Ben
One problem I have found with printers is they don't like to release resources after being finished. This may sound dumb, but if you try again and the psd still won't print try this. Shut down computer and printer. Then restart both. Go directly to photoshop and try to print the psd file.
If the problem comes up this time. Go to your desktop, to my computer, right click and choose properties. Click on device manager and see if there is a yellow question mark anywhere on that page. If there is, there is a device problem. Try reinstalling printer at that point.
Windows Me tends to be very finicky working with many devices.
I will look around and see what else I can find.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2002, 03:57 PM

Do small PSD files print?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2002, 04:57 PM

Hi Ben ,
I searched all my sources and most do not recommend printing in psd format, as they are extremely large due to the information stored for editing. There seem to be no specific articles related to printer problems with the hp7150, but all recommend converting to a flattened format. Here is an exerpt of an article I found:

"With the printing process used there will not be exact color matches- each time the design is printed, it will vary a bit.

And there is no advantage to uploading a PSD file- they are huge files that contain information necessary for editing your graphics, such as layers, channels, paths, fonts, etc that don't help in the printing process.

You should always export your file as GIF, JPG, PNG, or TIFF."
Is there a specific reason you need to print in psd?
Debbie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware