RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Recommendations for 35mm camera

Old 04-11-2003, 11:08 AM

Doug, I have a F-100, so I ran back to get mine out of the closet so I could walk you thru the basics -- then I sat there wondering how to change the settings from Manual to Program.

So THEN I got out my manual to read to you:

(Have you found the battery compartment on the bottom right hand side [as you point the camera out]?) Use 4 1.5V AA-type batteries or lithium batteries. Place in battery holder and turn the release knob to lock firmly.

Turn the power switch (top right hand side) to ON. Confirm battery power with the battery indicator in the top lcd. To change the exposure mode (to Programmed, shutter priority, aperture priority, or manual) -- press the "Mode" button on the top in front of the LCD as you also turn the Command dial on the rear. If you set the exposure mode to Manual, the command dial will let you change the shutter speed (without pressing the Mode button). You have to set the lens aperture to its minimum and lock -- the aperture is controlled by the dial on the front of the camera. Check to see that your metering is set to matrix metering (there are three choices on the right side of the eyepiece -- a button with three icons above it -- matrix is the one in the middle with five white areas.

That ought to get you started, but if there is something else you need, just holler. It was a good reminder for me to take some time and actually use mine again. At least until I can afford a Nikon digital SLR...which will be quite a wait.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 04-11-2003 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Janitor

Thanks, CJ. What are the M-S-C settings on the front bottom right of the camera (I thought "matrix-spot-center", but that switch is on the viewfinder)? And the "L" button on the back below the "rewind knob"?

I'll be able to look these up myself next week, but they're really agravating me right now
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2003, 01:43 PM

Doug, I sent you an email with some of the answers you need.

Let me know if you need anything more from the manual. It's good for me to read it again, since I've got to get the cobwebs off the camera and shoot some of this beautiful spring blooming all around me.

I've looked for a downloadable F100 manual online, but haven't found one yet. Probably because it's so many pages. I would recommend looking at a Magic Lantern or similar non-Nikon manual -- they usually are more readable, at least for me.

The link I sent you is here -- Review-info by Edwin Leong

and others with good info here:

F100 Review/Info -- Bjorn Rorslett

Review/reactions from an amateur

F100 Users Group

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 04-11-2003 at 02:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2003, 02:23 PM
Janitor

I just got the manual that I bought via Ebay. I went with a scanned version on CD. It's in PDF format, 250meg in size. I almost went with a paper version, but this was 1/3 the price. I'm very pleased with this. The scan is excellent. I only wish it was text-searchable, and I'm worried about the legality of the whole thing (although the vendor has been selling these for some time and lists their street address and phone number, so I guess if it was illegal they would have been stopped long ago).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2003, 06:53 PM

Hey Doug, I was wondering how your equipment is working out. I am thinking of doing the same thing myself. I can't afford the digital SLR that I want so I'm thinking of getting a used good film SLR, developing the film myself and scanning the negatives. Is your system working out well?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2003, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help. Now I have to choose a slide scanner
Doug: I just bought the Epson 3200 a couple of weeks ago, and it is superb. It does high res negatives, and slides, and does flat scans as well.

See this thread: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...&threadid=5740

I know as a pro - your requirements are proabably higher, but you might want to givr it a look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2003, 01:50 PM

I wonder where Doug is?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2003, 04:42 PM
Janitor

Sorry, I didn't have net access for over a week (tech probs). I did buy an Epson 3200 and used some of my free time (since I couldn't get on the net) to calibrate and play with it. So far I'm impressed as all getout with it. I'll post a review soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2003, 10:43 AM

That's great Doug! Can't wait to hear about your experiences. I went to poor mans route and bought a Canon AE-1 on eBay. If the camera lives up to the sellers hype I will end up with a inexpensive camera that can take good pictures.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2003, 11:04 AM
Janitor

I actually came very close to buying an AE-1, they're good cameras that have been well-tested. Plus you can't beat Canon lenses.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware