RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Video Cards & 2nd Monitors question

Old 01-01-2003, 03:17 PM

Video Cards & 2nd Monitors question

Hi

Well, even though I've been in the computer industry for too many years to count, (well, almost), I'd like to ask for some help as my research is getting confusing regarding video cards and second monitors.

I've got an AGP card already in my system. It is a bit older and doesn't support dual-displays (is this the same as dual-monitors?).

Anyhow, I've researched and decided to purchase the NVidia GeForce Ti 4600, 128MB DDR card.

So the card has a VGA Out connection, a TV/S Video Out and a DVI Out connection.

If this card supports multi-displays (or multiple monitors) how do you hook up two? I've found info on DVI to VGA cables??

Or do you need to have two video cards? In my case, the AGP card and another PCI card?

I'm a bit confused as to where to look/research what I need.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 04:14 PM

Hey Jeffrey,

I've been researching video cards lately too, since I'm looking to upgrade when I can afford it. I'll try to answer your questions:

Dual displays can mean various things, dual monitors, monitor and TV etc.

As said, you've already decided on the Ti4600, which is an excellent card if you can afford it, but I just wanted to mention that you can get the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro for about half the price of the Geforce 4. it depends what you plan on using the card for: if you plan on using it heavily for gaming, then the Geforce is the best bet, but if you're just doing a lot of photoshop work etc., some gaming but don't need top of the line performance, and also want a dual monitor setup, then I'd recommend the Radeon since you could save a lot by doing that (plus, you could afford a bigger second monitor )
FYI, here's a comparison of the prices around here anyway:
Geforce 4 Ti4600 128M DDR - $270
Radeon 9000 Pro 128M DDR - $145
I've read the reviews and the 9000 is closer in performance to the Ti4200, but it's still less expensive then even that. (and no, I'm not an ATI salesman I'm just surprised at how much different the prices are for the fairly small difference in performance between the cards and I thought you might be interested to see that)

For hooking up the dual display system, most (but not all) of the video cards that support dual displays come with the DVI to VGA adapter, and then they should also come with software to configure it. here's a page that shows what that adapter looks like (and if your card doesnt come with one, most computer stores will have them in stock)

as for a place to research things,
Tom's Hardware Guide is the first place I always look at when I'm trying to find info on any kind of computer hardware.
hope this helps you out!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 05:03 PM

Info...

David

Thanks...looks like what I need. Good site for info as well. Now I'll just have to find the DVI to VGA adapter, but at least I'm on the right track now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 06:14 PM

No problem, glad to help! I just found an adapter made by Belkin on their site here. on the right hand side of the page, there's a "Locate reseller near you" button, so you can find a store in your area (i.e. Staples, Office depot etc.) that carries it.

- David

Last edited by d_kendal; 01-01-2003 at 06:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 07:43 PM

David,
I have a graphics card with both VGA and DVI connections. Can I just buy an adapator to plug a second CRT to the DVI connection?

Tony

I have PC, if that's relevant.
Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 10:19 PM

Hey Tony,

yep, you just need one of the DVI to VGA Jeffrey mentioned above. What video card do you have? If you're video card has the dual outputs, then it almost definitely supports the dual displays, and it should have come with some sort of software to configure the set up on the driver CD.

- David
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware