RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Monitor question

Old 01-10-2003, 06:59 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Monitor question

I made a new document, then I made lines both vertically and horizontally throughout the image. I used a 1 pixel hard brush to make the lines, and now I have questions about the attachment of a screen shot. Some of the horizontal lines seem fuzzy, almost like double lines, but most are OK. The vertical lines appear sharper, but as you will see (I hope) in the attachment, there are some lines that do not appear solid. All lines were made with the 1 pixel hard brush, and they were made by making a dot, then going to the opposite side of the document, and holding the shift key while clicking. I wanted to eliminate errors on my part when making the lines.
If I make another document the same way, the broken lines do not show up in the same place as the first ones, although they are still visible in some lines. Is this normal for a monitor to display lines like this, if they are made with the above mentioned technique?

The reason I made the lines is because this is a new monitor, and it has been replaced twice with new monitors. All three monitors appear somewhat less than sharp, and I notice this mostly toward the bottom of the screen. Are my eyes getting bad, or is there a monitor problem?

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lines.jpg (99.2 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2003, 07:17 PM

Well you're not losing your sight Ed. On my monitor, some of the lines don't appear at all unless I enlarge the photo. Then I see the broken lines you have.
I tried the same thing in photohop and got the same results unless I viewed the document at 100%, Might your screen shot be at a lower zoom?
Nope forget that last thought, I dl'd your picture and got the same problem at every zoom level. Sorry Ed, it's a mystery to me. Hopefully one of the wizards will have a solution.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2003, 08:04 PM

Thanks for taking a peek Debbie. I didn't think to do it before, but I just tried making the same image on another computer, with a little smaller monitor. Same thing on that one, but it didn't show up as bad. It must be normal, just didn't notice it before. Yes, the image has to be viewed at 100% in order to see the problem.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2003, 10:32 PM

Ed, are using a mouse or graphics tablet to draw/click the lines? If you're using a graphics tablet, that might account for the differing width/fuzziness depending on how you have the pressure sensitivity set up. I don't know how to account for the dashed vertical lines though.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2003, 10:36 PM

Ed, one other question. Was the screen shot taken with the image at 100% in PS? If the screen shot was taken with the image at anything less than 100%, that would definitely show problems with 1-pixel lines.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the reply Jeanie. I used a mouse for making the lines. Can you see the fuzziness in them? The screen shot was made at 100%. Otherwise, I don't think you could even see all of the lines.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 07:52 AM

Ed;

I understand what you are talking about because I could reproduce the error. I tried it with the "pencil" tool and a slower hand speed and this seemed to help? Also the resolution played a part in the problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 09:04 AM

Risetime error?

If you paid attention on the change over from v4 to v5 of Photoshop, Knoll Gamma changed to Adobe Gamma in name, and the visual gamma estimation patch area also changed. Knoll gamma used an inaccurate checkerboard pattern to aid in gamma estimation, which was corrected with the later Adobe gamma alternating lines. As well as calibrating as in the past, Adobe Gamma added characterization abilities lacking in Knoll Gamma.

Norman Koren has an excellent site, one page of interest to this topic being:

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfin...ml#Whynewchart

There are many colour/luminosity/shape/monitor issue optical illusions, which can work for or against you.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh.

Last edited by Stephen M; 01-11-2003 at 09:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 11:19 AM

Ed, yes, I can see the fuzziness. Playing with it myself, I found that if I was even slightly off on the pixels while making the line, it became fuzzy making the transition from one pixel to the one above or below it (horizontal) over the length of the line. Also, if the end points weren't exactly placed on a pixel, the "overrun" would create a fuzzy line (if that makes any sense.)

I still can't explain the dashed vertical lines though. I can't reproduce that.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 08:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Jeanie, it's possible that I wasn't dead on when I made the lines. Yes, I understand what you mean, and I'll make another test, being very careful to get it exact. I'll let you know what happens. Stephen, that's a great site. Thanks for the link.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware