RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Canon G2/G3 Digital Cameras

Old 01-26-2003, 11:59 AM

My copy of Photoshop 6.01 will open .raw files. At least it's one of the formats listed. Guess I'll see how it works when I get my camera.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 12:04 PM

PS7 will also open .raw files but it does not see the images caputed by my camera??????? I have no idea why
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 12:17 PM

Your using a Canon Clare?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 12:28 PM

Nope - I am using the Sigma SD9, I don't know about the Cannon range but you might beable to contact them directly and ask them what whether the images can be accessed directly from PS or whether they need to go through a different program to?

As regards other specs of a camera I would find out if it is possible to go fully manual as this is very important at times.

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 12:33 PM

This thread has generated most of the information I was looking for, specs are easily found on manufacturers websites but its the users who provide the hard info on various cameras. However I dont think there are many dud cameras about these days.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 12:39 PM

I agree that it is always good to get info off of someone who has experience of a camera - that's the sort of info the manufacurer would not let you know

Have you decided on your camera of choice?

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 12:44 PM

I have been tempted by digital SLR's Clare but I dont really need the facilities and I know if I bought one I'd be back on the interchangeable lens treadmill!! Probably a Canon G3 or an Olympus 5050. I've shot a lot of stuff on an Olympus 3040 in the past couple of years and it gave reliable service and as mentioned earlier I have a few bits and pieces from the 3040 that could be utilised by the 5050.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 12:54 PM

Chris
I just did some testing with the Canon Raw format.. I took a pic. and instead of using zoombrowser, I imported the raw picture straight into Photoshop..The supporting software aoutmatically gives you the option of where to import the files..After in Photoshop, you can do with it what you want..Adjustments etc. and save it in an approved Photshop format..

Canon RAW files have a ".crw" extension..This is not a supported file type in Photoshop ..The ".RAW" extension supported by Photoshop I don't know what equipment produces it.. Therefore, you can not open a ".crw" extension file directly into Photoshop using the standard open command..However, they can be imported directly into Photoshop from the camere using the camera software..

Jerry

Please excuse the spelling and grammar..In a hurry heading out to a SuperBowl Party..
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 01:01 PM

Thanks Jerry I've heard of PS plug-ins that will sort out the transfer, I just want to cut the distance between camera and PS.

I assume Superbowl is some sort of curry evening!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 01:02 PM

Chris,

I have only just gone from the Casio EX3000ir to the Sigma SD9, there are vast differences between the two camera. One of the first recognisable differences for me was the depth of field. The Casios was fantastic for a depth of field where everything is in focus, but the Sigma is more dependant on the f stop. The Sigma is more like using a normal film camera, and personally I am really enjoying having this control over my images again - but not to put down the great depth of field that the Casio gave, it was good to always know that the backup was there and editing could be done later in PS.

The only thing I have to add is that look at the other manufacters like Casio, Fuji, etc. Sometimes these have added features that will not cost you more, when going for these camera rather than the main makes of camera like Nikon and Canon. I always used OM cameras through my training, and one of the main reasons was the reasonable price and the quality the camera gave in the results.

Clare
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware