RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Ready to take the plunge............

Old 05-12-2003, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the links on the Olympus Scott. Interesting reading.

That said, I went to a local store in town that had all three cameras on display so that I could actually get a feel for holding and using them. Since my mother is purchasing this camera with me, she came along as well. We both came to the conclusion that we liked the Sony the best. Neither of us felt that we could use an optical viewfinder (the Olympus) after having used a TTL 35mm film camera for so many years. The Nikon wasn't nearly as easy to figure out as the Sony (with no manual at hand) - and I didn't like the Nikon's EVF nearly as much as the Sony.

So, if I can achieve the same quality of photos that I've seen online as examples from this camera, I think I'll be very happy.

The DSC-V1 certainly looks interesting and it would be nice to have a slightly smaller camera, but I'm needing the camera sooner than that - and the 717 is certainly smaller than the Canon EOS I've been carrying around for years and thinking nothing of it.

Regarding digital vs. film... I have no intention of putting my Canon away! I'm just not ready to make that leap yet. There's always the chance I'll change my mind once I get the digital camera, but it's hard to imagine right now.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2003, 01:05 PM

Thanks Don. I ordered the Sony 717 this morning, so I'm glad to see you think it's a good choice. I am well aware that the camera is missing RAW format, but from what I could figure out in my research, the software conversion for the RAW format in the prosumer cameras is not particularly great, so I decided I wasn't missing much. (And given how I'm planning to use the camera, I can't see that this is even an issue for me, even if the conversion software was perfect.)

As far as limited memory capacity, as far as I can tell the camera supports the new Memory Stick Pro format (up to 1GB) - should I want to spend the money.

My main concern was image quality, so I'm glad that my little outing to the store yesterday to actually see/play with the cameras resulted in the Sony being first choice. I'd hate to be stuck with a decision between image quality and (perceived) ease-of-use/handling.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2003, 04:06 PM

JEANIE!!!

Please let us know how you like the 717!

I'm probably gonna hold out for the DSC-V1...it should be available aroung the 23rd.

I can't wait to shed my Canon EOS 650 with the large swivel flash. I've been lugging that monstrosity around since '88. No complaint about the pictures it takes, just the weight of the silly thing.

Of course I'll keep it on hand, but I'm looking forward to the convience of the tiny sony. I've not found any major complaints from the sony digies!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2003, 12:09 AM

sjm - have no fear! I can't imagine that I'm going to keep my new toy all to myself!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2003, 12:40 AM

Talking My new camera arrived today!

Here's a photo I took after looking at no more than "how to charge the battery" and "how to turn on the camera" in the instruction booklet. Everything taken in full-auto mode. I had to crop the photo and reduce the size 50% in order to get under the 100KB size limit, but I think you can still get a feel for the quality of the camera. I took most of my practice shots inside today as the weather was cold and cloudy outside. So, this is one of my cats. (They both were really good sports about being my subjects today! )

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat.jpg (99.0 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2003, 12:45 AM

Another photo

I did step out on my porch to take a picture of one of the perennials we got this past weekend but haven't planted yet. (I can't remember the name of the flower - it begins with a "v".) This photo is cropped way down, but at 100% size as it came out of the camera. Still in full-auto mode, but with macro turned on. (I'd read a few more pages in the manual. ) A slight levels adjustment really helps make this image "pop", but I left this attachment as it came out of the camera (except for the cropping.) I'm really happy with the detail that this camera captures!

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flowers.jpg (97.1 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2003, 01:41 AM

Only just picked up this thread. Congrats on the new camera Jeanie, I'm sure you'll love it once you get to know the tricks. Great pics though. I've settled on ISO100 and S-mode and vary the shutter speed according to the conditions. Like you, I don't find the camera bulky at all - I've bought a decent bag and a few extra memory sticks and am now looking for an external flash. As far as I know, the 7x7 can only handle 128MB.

You should follow the dpreview sony forum for a while and you'll pick up a huge amount of tips. (It does get noisy though!)

An interesting snippet I picked up somewhere is that many of the current crop of digicams use Sony detectors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2003, 01:56 AM

sjm, you may want to check this comment from one of the greats on Sony Talk Forum on dpreview before you buy a V1.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2003, 02:23 AM

Hi Al,

The Sony Talk forum already saved me some headaches before I finalized my purchase. It seems that non-Sony batteries don't display the remaining time correctly - and everyone who'd bought a non-Sony wished they hadn't. So, I went for the Sony battery.

Also, there was a huge thread on the Lexar rebates (or lack thereof). Went for it anyway, but am prepared for a fight.

I did read that the 727 can handle the larger memory sticks - I'm pretty sure that was in the review section at dpreview, but I'm not positive of that. In any case, I can't afford the larger memory sticks right now anyway, so it's a moot point.

I agree 100% with keeping the camera at 100 ISO. I found out tonight that the camera defaults to "Auto" for ISO mode and some of the low-light photos I took were really noisy. As soon as I fixed the ISO at 100, the images were darker (still need to play around with the EV), but much less noisy - and easy to lighten in PS.

I have defaulted to aperture priority when shooting with film b/c I like to control the depth of field. But, it appears that with digital, the slower the shutter speed, the more noise. Is that true? So, it would make sense to control the shutter speed to reduce the noise?

Also, it seems that all of the digital cameras that I looked at didn't go past an f-stop of 8. My film camera goes to f27. Is the difference because of the different focal length of the lenses? Is a digital f8 the equivalent of a 35mm film f8, or is it more like an f16? Or is this a limitation to keep the cost of the camera down - and the "pro" cameras do have smaller apertures?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2003, 02:49 AM

Jeanie, concerning f-stops: because the detector is smaller than film, you can add 4 stops to the digicam's f-stop to get the film equivalent (link).

As far as memory sticks go, I found someone selling 3x64MB 2nd hand Sony sticks down here, and I'm pretty happy with those (haven't run out of film yet ). When I'm rich and famous I'll get a few 128s.

Like you, when I took my first pics I was horrified by the noise on indoor pics until I realised that the ISO was on auto and was defaulting to 400.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware