Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Backing up

Old 09-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Jeanie I'm glad you asked that question. I haven't tried to retrieve any files yet. Of course this is just for illustration purposes because it isn't very scientific, on my PC I opened the Photoshop "File Open" menu and selected a file on my harddrive, a 20Meg Tif file, and it took about 1 1/2 seconds to fully retrieve the file. I then went to the DVD and opened the same file in the same manner and it took about 20 seconds. So it is significantly slower on the DVD than on the hard drive.

The backing up question has yet to be solved here either. That is why I am looking into an image managment program. I just haven't decided on what to buy yet. Or maybe I need just a backup program to automatically keep my picture files backed up. Doing manual backups usually means that I might not do them in a timely manner. Like right now I bet that I have files on my hard drive that aren't backed up properly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2003, 02:18 PM
Recently had a HD crash, and got into backing up in a big way.

I decided to go with a product called BACKUP NOW 3, details can be found at:

This allows me to do either an image backup of an entire disk/partition, or selected files/folders. I created a folder called data, and store the things that change the most, and the things that are most important to me there (Quicken, e-mail, etc).

This product also allows me to schedule backups, and either do a full or incremental.

I now do a full backup of the data folder every Sunday morning at 1:00 AM. This can write directly to CD/DVD and can span volumns (spanning doesn't work very well with un-attended backups, however).

One issue I ran into. If the computer goes into hibernate, and the option to wake computer to perform task isn't selected in the scheduler, it won't happen. This past Sunday was the first time I had it go automatically, and the backup was waiting on me when I got up and checked.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Hi Ken. Thanks for the information and the link. I'll give it a look to see what it's all about. Over the years hard drive failures have sold more backup hardware and software than any other method. I have just recently lost my backup hard drive. One day it was there and the next it wasn't. No warning of any kind, just Poof and it was gone.

I have been using Power Quest Drive Image to make image backups of my primary drive. But, of course, all my backup images were stored on the backup drive because they were too big to put on CD. Now I have a DVD recorder so I hope to do more image backups, assuming they aren't too big for a DVD now. My primary drive has over 60 gig in use now so the image may be too big for a DVD now.

Well that's why I bought a pair of hard drives and am running Raid mirrored drives. Hopefully I wont lose both drives at he same time. I still need to do data backups though so I'll give the link a look.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware