RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Backing up

Old 08-28-2001, 02:46 PM
Janitor

Backing up

How often to you back up, how, and why not?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 02:58 PM

All new work saved to the hard drive during the course of the day,regardless of its "state of readiness" is saved before the computer goes to bed. I use CD-R's . I do this as I once experienced a catastrophic hard drive crash and lost a whole bunch of stuff which took about 2 weeks to redo. This way the most I can loose is 1 days stuff. Bad but not crippling. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Janitor

I just got a 250gig external USB2 hd and finished my first backup onto it. It feels good, a nice warm/fuzzy feeling

There was a $30 rebate, plus Amazon is running a special in their electronics section this month where any purchase over $250 gets you a $50 user credit back. So, the combined $80 made my mind up.

I like the idea of having a hd on a separate power supply, even on a different electrical circuit. It may only be an imaginary feeling of safety, but I'll take what I can get.

I had to reformat it first thing, since fat32 would only allow a backup size of 4gig, and that would never do. I can store over 4 complete images of my work hd on this thing, but I'm opting for traditional backup.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2003, 04:14 PM

An IT friend of mine found a couple of HP DAT 24 tape drives in the scrap bin at work. He took them home and found they just needed the firmware re-installing and they worked fine. I've was given one of these and its used for twice weekly backups although I usually burn new stuff onto CDr.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Janitor

Tape drives are great, cheap media, huge capacity. But my brother had one that the company stopped updating drivers for, then needed some of his backed-up data and couldn't get at it. No one made a compatible drive, and his only option was professional data retrival, and the estimate was $450 (he passed). I don't think this is as much an issue nowadays, since formats have pretty much standardized.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2003, 04:28 PM

I was warned not to use consecutive tapes for a system back up as the 2K backup facility is considered poor. I just stick to blocks of data on one tape.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2003, 04:42 PM
Janitor

I'm also going to start archiving onto CDR to free up hd space. I didn't before because one project folder might be several gig, but I read that most backup software now includes CDR spanning as standard.

I'm only a few years behind the times
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2003, 04:56 PM

I was toying with the idea of an external DVD burner have you had any experience with the format. The Pioneer 105/6 models seem to be the devices of choice over here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2003, 05:30 PM
Janitor

No personal experience, but I hear the format wars are coming to a close. Of course, format doesn't matter all that much when considering backing up data, just for burning movies. My only concern would be write speed. It may be very fast, but I haven't seen any data on it. I know that writing to CDRW can take 10x as long as to CDR.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2003, 02:30 PM

Kind of late jumping in on this but have had a recent incident on my system. I am running a pair of 80 Gig drives mirrored and have a 60 Gig I use to store a Power Quest Drive image to. Well my backup drive, the 60 gig, just failed and I have lost the image backups I had stored on it.

So I am buying a DVD +RW drive so I can store the images on DVD so hopefully I wont lose these images again. The problem is that now I have lost the one image I really wanted to keep which was the one I made just after loading windows and after I had loaded all of the hardware drivers installed and working. Oh well I'll never need to reload Windows XP, right?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware