RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Some Questions About Hardware.....

Old 04-12-2003, 12:57 PM

Hi Gary.....Thank you very much for the information!!!! I have been hearing that the Athalon/AMD chips are preferred over the Pentium 4 for Photoshop. Could you give me some insight on that? Would you mind telling me what Brand machine you bought? So, I could check them out. What kind of graphics card do you have in it? And what kind of Monitor do you use? I would really appreciate some more info about that. Thank you very much!!!!!!!!
Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2003, 01:11 PM

Hi Kevin......Wow.....you gave me a lot of information, I really appreciate it!!!!! As I mentioned in my reply to Gary.... I have been hearing that the Athalon/AMD chips are preferred over the Pentium 4 for Photoshop. Could you give me some insight on that? Besides the AMD chips being more bang for the buck. Could you also, tell me what brand computer you use, so I could check them out? I see you prefer the Gforce cards. What do you think of the ATI cards, such as the 9000 Pro card? Do you think the G4 cards are better? Thank you for the info on the Printers!!! Could you tell me what Brand monitor might be a good one to look at? Brand and model. You really gave me a lot of info, that helps out a lot!!!! I hope you can give me some more insight on the questions I asked in this reply. Thank you very much!!!!!!
Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2003, 04:00 PM

Hi again Bob. I don't think that the Athlon has any advantage over the Intel chips as far as Photoshop is concerned. If it does then I haven't heard about it. Technically the opposite is true, the Intel has a slightly better for multimedia.

I build my own computers from parts. I guess I haven't bought a "name brand" computer since 1983. There are several good ones out there from Dell, Gateway, and Compaq. If I were to buy a name brand computer it would probably be a Dell. We use Compaq and Dell at work and they are well built.

The ATI video boards are very good. They have an edge on the GForce right now as far as speed goes. I have owned both brands in the past and have been satisfied. For Photoshop either would be just fine. My GForce 4 TI-4200 is really more card than Photoshop requires but I like from time to time like to play Unreal and Quake. I haven't any experience with the ATI 9000 card so I don't have a recomendation for you there.

On the Monitor, I have a Viewsonic A90f 19" monitor. I have heard that the Sony and Mitsubishi are very good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2003, 04:19 PM

Bob unfortunately my machine was made here in Texas by a local shop. I’ve never owned a major name brand. If there are any problems they can be handled locally.

I really don’t know if Photoshop prefers one processor over another.

My video card is a 64 meg GeForce2 MX 400, NVIDIA. There are many other good cards out there. I have heard many good things about ATI cards.

I have an older Princeton Graphics EO-710 17” monitor. It works. I too have heard good comments about Sony and Mitsubishi monitors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2003, 05:57 PM

I think above all computer peripherals graphics cards sum up the speed of obsolescence. Todays £500 card is £50 tomorrow!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2003, 09:05 PM

for Monitor, I'm a fan of Samsungs, I've owned a 19" 950p for about a year and a half and I love it, I haven't a had a single problem with it, the display is very nice, and the price is pretty low. choosing between Shadow mask and Aperture grille I prefer shadow mask because even if it's not a flat screen you don't have any lines across the screen (with aperture grille you'll have 2 faint lines) but there's various companies starting to make "Flat CRTs" (shadow mask) or equivilent which mix the best of both technologies. As for video cards, I'd definitely recommend going with ATI since you can probably get a better card for the money you spend, I wouldn't really recommend the Radeon 9000 though, in various benchmarks it scores lower than the Radeon 8500, but there's the radeon 9100 and 9200 that have come out just recently and either of those would be a good buy, but if you can afford it I'd really recommend the Radeon 9500 Pro, for the same price as you could get a Geforce 4 Ti4200 you'll get performance that can easily beat it and actually comes close to the Radeon 9700 for performance. for Hard drive, Western digital makes nice drives, look for the ones that are 7200 rpm and have a 8MB cache, you'll get the best performance from those. rather than getting one big hard drive (120GB etc.) it's better to get 2 smaller (60 or 80 GB) drives so you can put your Photoshop Scratch disk and Windows swap file on a second drive which will give you better performance. For RAM, definitely get DDR, it's at least as cheap if not cheaper than SDram now and it's much faster. how much to get depends on how big of files you plan to work with, so if you're going to be doing big scans at high rez then you could easily be working with 1-200 MB files so you'll want at least 512MBs. one way to get Ram speed that comes close to RD RAM without having to spend tons on it is to get a motherboard that supports Dual channel DDR, then as long as you have multiples of 2 sticks of RAM then you'll essentially have high speed memory even if you can only afford PC2100 DDR (266 Mhz). there's lots of debates on whether Intel or AMD processors are better, but just get the best you can afford, the P4 2.53 or 2.66Ghz are both pretty good buypoints right now.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2003, 09:13 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Just a thought on the monitor. I had a Sony (don't recall the model), and I had problems with it right out of the box. Sony was excellent in the customer service department, replacing the monitor three times (had problems with each one). The last one I had was an upgraded monitor, and it was the one they make for Dell. I have a Dell computer, but for some reason I still had problems that they couldn't figure out. They gave me a full refund, and I don't think they can be beat for caring about their customers. I have another computer (Gateway) with a 17 inch Viewsonic monitor. It is an aperture grille model. Since I've been happy with it, I decided to try another Viewsonic, this time a 19 inch G90f. This one is a shadow mask monitor. I'm very happy with it, and I don't see much difference in the aperture grille and the shadow mask. You probably already know that the aperture grille models display two faint lines on the screen. After the first day or so, I never noticed them again. For me, that wasn't a concern, but I've heard of others who were bothered by the lines. Bottom line --- I think Sony makes a good monitor, and they have excellent service. There seems to be something that is incompatible with my setup and the Sony. I have been very happy with both Viewsonics, and I never had reason to call customer service, so I can't really comment on that aspect. For what it's worth, the Viewsonic will save you a pretty penny over the Sony. Hope this helps just a little.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2003, 01:49 PM

Hi Kevin....and Hi Gary......Thank you Both for responding again and answering more questions!!!!!!!!! I really appreciate all the info you gave me!!!! It gives me more insight on things to look into. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!
Bob
Hi Chris.....Thank you for the info too, and yes I agree!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much!!!!!!!
Bob
Hi David....Thank you very much for all the Great info, the help is much appreciated!!!!! It gives me more insight on things to look into. Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!
Bob
Hi Ed.........Your info helped a lot, I really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!
Bob
To ALL of you........I want to Thank You ALL for taking the time to answer my questions!!!!!!!! You ALL have been a big help!!!!!!!!! This info gives me some things to think about and help with looking into the hardware you mentioned. If anyone can come up with any other tips, I'd really appreciate that too!!!!!!! Thanks again for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2003, 03:16 PM

Bob of course now you're going to have to keep us posted on which computer/components you decide on...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2003, 05:44 PM

I can think of one more thing you should get....a Wacom tablet! It will make your life much easier if you are doing any sort of digital graphics....the Graphire is an excellent choice if you are on a budget.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware