RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Back peddling

Old 06-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Janitor

I bought a bunch of gray-market slide film and an equal number of Kodak photo processing mailers from B&H. It takes the final total cost of a 36-exposure roll to about $7.

So far I'm very pleased with the scans (done on flatbed). It's slower than I expected, but not for technological reasons. I just can't seem to grab those little 2"x2" suckers off the glass when I'm done. And in doing so I smudge the daylights out of the glass, so I'm thinking on trying cotton gloves.

I haven't tried negative film yet, though I did purchase some at the same time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2003, 04:05 PM

Thanks Jeanie for the tips. I am going to do something different, two weeks is not what I had in mind. It's really culture shock for a digital shooter to have to wait one hour much less two weeks to see the results of the shoot. I want to begin developing my own slides but will have to learn how first. I have experience developing B&W film in a can and developing x-rays in a big vat developer. But those were easy monobath systems. I have no exeprience with color.

Hi Doug thanks for the info on B&H. What film are you using? Is the extra cost of the professional film worth the extra price? I also just bought some print film to see how negatives work. I have scanned negative film lately and Silverfast works great unless the film has faded real badly.

I think I am going to like this set up. I believe I have the best of both worlds. I have a choice of digital or film when I am shooting. Each has it's strong suit and it's weakness. By the way I couldn't resist a mint A-1 body earlier this week. Guess I will put the AE-1 on ebay, or not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2003, 05:14 PM

Follow-up to what's been going on with my plan. I have been much too busy the past 4 weeks with remodeling my Den and my ebay endeavors. I hope to get caught up soon. I'm getting behind on too many things.

Anyway I did get my first batch of slides in and am pleased with my work flow. There are two things that bother me though. One is it takes so long to scan the slides at max resolution. The second is the slides are grainy which really suprised me. I don't know who developed them, it only says Kodak on the packaging. I'm hoping that is was the combination of the film, Extachrome Extra 100 ASA, and the developing process. I am going to buy the Extrachrome Professional and also begin developing the film myself. Hopefully this will cure the grain problem. Neat Image does a great job but I thought I wouldn't have this problem at 100 ASA. I may have to go to 64 ASA.

There is nothing at all wrong with the quality of the scanned images though. I am confident that when I get the film problems behind me that I will be sucessful at my goals. I have the darkroom equipment in transit and hopefully the right book.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2003, 05:20 PM
Janitor

Although there can be other differences, the primary difference between pro and regular film is the color. Film ages, and amateur film is shipped a little "unripe" so that it will age to proper color. Pro film is shipped at the peak of accuracy and kept refridgerated to slow the aging.

As for myself, I just bought a ton of regular ISO100 Ektachrome, since I have a lot of shooting to do to remind me of the skills I used to take for granted

Processing can make a big difference, which is why it's one of the most-discussed film topics. My Kodak mailers ensure excellent processing, but also run the risk of sitting in a hot mailtruck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2003, 07:00 PM

Hi Doug. Thanks for the information. I was not aware of the real differences between the regular and the pro version. Guess it wouldn't be good to buy a lot of the pro film unless I was going to shoot it up soon. I have found it difficult to buy slide film locally. I guess I will have to buy mostly online. The film I shot was Extachrome Extra Color but it was all I could get at the time. I've been reading all I can find about the subject. I believe that my first experience with this slide film was not normal and I hope my future rolls are much better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2003, 08:30 AM

I have waded through the replies to your initial post about slide film/negative film and would like to supplement these replies.

I have had quite a lot of experience hand processing Ektachrome transparency film (35mm) and have made these observations.

1) Temperature control is paramount to quality results.
2) It is a while now since I did some but it is heavily time consuming. I recall about an hour per roll.
3) Organising all the solutions in the correct quantities, at the correct temperature is tedious.
4) Mixing and storing the extra solutions is a pain.
5) The rinse water for pre/during and final rinse should be kept within a fairly well defined temp range ie +2 to -2 degrees F. (Reticulation/Grain gain if not fairly seriously observed)
etc.etc.........etc.

My recommendation? Get the 'Professionals' to do it. I've been out of the mainstream for a few years now so things may have changed but I predict not a great deal. BTW, a good thing to do is buy ektachrome in 100ft rolls and buy a bulk loader. Load it as you need it and refrigerate, not freeze, the bulk loader until next time. Give it time to reach room temp before exposing the film.

If you want the finest quality buy Kodachrome with a mailer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2003, 01:03 PM

Hi Stevo, I appreciate your insight on developing the slide film. I really don't know much about the proceedures as I have yet to do my first roll. I am glad to know ahead of time though about the ridgid proceedures and temperature requirements. It may turn out that I wont develop all my film. I'll just have to see how it goes. I have developed 70mm black&white film and x-ray film in years past but those just used a simple mono-bath and fixer. I get the idea that the color slide film will be quite a bit more to it than that. I bought the darkroom equipment < $100.00 on ebay and if it turns out not to be something I want to do on an ongoing basis I can always turn back around and sell it. I wonder what kind of turn-around I could get with a mailer? Leaving it a Walgreens for 2 weeks wasn't very exciting.

Hi Fishboy, I do plan on getting a DSLR when I can afford it. Right now I don't have the extra 2500.00 or so to shell out. If the business turns our good and I am able to actually start making money with my photography I will most certainly buy the DSLR I really want. Right now I am using a Nikon CP-995 which does very good except for it not being an SLR. I have learned how to shoot in bright sunlight with a hood over the viewscreen. I have also learned how to compensate for it's low light auto-focus problems. One of it's strong suits is Macro shooting. So far I haven't been able to equal it with the Canon A-1. It will probably require a much more expensive lens than I now have. That Cp-995 takes absolutely beautiful macro shots.

Oh well thanks guys for the info.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware