Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Canon S800 Printer

Old 09-03-2001, 07:31 AM
Hi Doug

I think we were discussing the 780. I get confused and always seem to transpose the numbers. Wish Epson wouldn't name two printers opposite numbers, I'm already confused enough!!! LOL LOL LOL
Anyway, My main concern in buying a printer is for printing my wedding photo's (as you all know are a disaster) as I restore them. Additionally, I am into scrapbooking and now thinking about the issue of "Archivalbility" of my scrapbook pages. A thought last night came that if I print my pages on acid free decorative paper, graphics, fonts, etc. and mount my photo's, well, are the pages going to fade very soon because I didn't print on the high quality paper? Of course the photo's themselves would be printed on the best paper Epson recommends. The hobby of scrapbooking requires all these cute little acid free papers, NOT plain paper for the journaling. The pages are kept in an acid free album in archival sleeves for safekeeping. I wonder how long they will last using the Epson printer inks??????

PS. I plan on scanning all the finished pages for safekeeping and burning them to CD (just in case) I have learned my lesson !!!!

Last edited by Marni; 09-03-2001 at 07:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2001, 07:49 AM
Marni, Epson claims print life using the dye based Inks ( like the 780, 1270,1280 use) of approx. 4-6 years using the glossy photo paper. They have introduced a new glossy paper with a claimed print life ofaround I believe 10 + years. Using their heavy weight matte paper print life is projected 25 or so years. These numbers are based on normal display conditions. Storing as you indicate should lengthen the life. The pigment based inks, such as the Epson 2000 uses when used in conjunction with the special archival papers made for that printer have a "claimed" print life of 200+ years. At this time the Printers designed for the dye based inks cannot use the pigment based inks or the special archival papers and Epson advises to only use the "2000" inks and papers with the 2000 Printer. Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware