RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Dream Monitor

Old 08-19-2003, 07:47 PM

Okay after much research I finally went with the SONY GDM-C520 with Artisan Color Reference System ($$$ OUCH). Actually I got a respectable deal on it and so far so good. I did a lot of comparison shopping and found the best deal I could.

Quote:
Start with a Monitor
The heart of the Artisan system is the Sony GDM-C520K monitor, a state-of-the-art 21-inch flat-screen Trinitron with a low, 0.24mm aperture-grille pitch that supports horizontal scan frequencies from 30kHz to 130kHz and vertical refresh rates from 48Hz to 170Hz -- all of which adds up to sharp, flicker-free performance even at high resolutions. It has all the advanced controls you'd expect from a high-end monitor, including individual red, green, and blue gain and bias controls, and separate convergence controls for top, center, and bottom, conveniently accessible through a joysticklike control on the front bezel. But what makes the Artisan system much more than just another monitor is the Artisan sensor and calibration software.
I've got to let it warm up for an hour before I can calibrate it for the first time. I am eager to see how the printing results turn out, as in the past I had to print a couple of copies and tweak a few times before I got the prints to match the screen. I am hoping this investment will produce more accurate prints.

If you are interested in it, there's a good review on it at Macworld

Yea a new toy!!!!!

Of course I am going to have to eventually upgrade my poor little Pentium II computer as it is quite over tasked but still a trooper!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2003, 08:14 PM

Wow....I think that costs more than my first car did! Have fun with the new toy...I think I speak for many people here when I say....I'm jealous!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2003, 08:49 PM

Well I should only be on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a couple of months , but hopefully the print results will all make it all worth while.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2003, 08:54 PM

Hey T!

Sounds like you've got a great new toy.. but I can't be too jealous, I already bought my share of new stuff this summer (rebuilt computer system, digital camera and printer!)
anyways, enjoy your new monitor, it sounds like a beauty!!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2003, 09:45 PM

Thanks all! Too late to play with it today, so I hope to put it through the paces tomorrow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2003, 10:47 PM

Okay, I lied...couldn't wait till tomorrow to try one print. I ran the calibration and it was extremely easy to do and fast ( as well as cool to watch). Then I went to an image I had recently done...boy did it change colors! No wonder it takes a lot of tweaking to get my prints right. Well I readjusted the colors and ran a test print and I am happy to say that the colors printed true to how I saw them on the screen. YES!

Bad thing is that I have two grey horizontal lines running across the screen that are really bothering me. One 2" from the top and the other 2 1/2" from the bottom.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2003, 12:57 AM

T - the gray lines are part of the "design" of aperture grill monitors (of which the Trinitron is one). All of my monitors have had them and I don't even notice them any more - unless I'm working on a close-up of a very light portion of an image. Your eyes should get used to them.

That said, I did have one monitor that seemed to have much more prominent lines than any other I'd worked on. I exchanged that monitor!

For more info, click here.

Jeanie

P.S. Congrats on the new toy! WOW!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2003, 10:19 AM

Thanks Jeaniesa And PM,

Well it's my first monitor with lines, but if they are suppose to be there I know I can get use to them. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a defect.

I am very impressed with the color management capabilities and as Jeaniesa pointed out I am sure in time I won't even notice them. Just an adjustment factor for me.

This baby does weigh a ton though...whopping 78 pounds. I have a tiered desk so it was quite the struggle for me to place it on the top. I had asked my husband for help, but after waiting for an hour and two requests I gave up and struggled with it myself. Hey it's a new toy, how long did he think I could just stare at the box

~T
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware